The Grails

lowrider

This is truly an amazing thread..

My three grails...

-Yamane 9947

-A.R.CIE 002

-DSL Kratt Selvedge

We have a few definitions of grails... Do you mean the best broken-in, or the best overall (deadstock).

The Eternals at the denim gallery heavy are considered the "holy grail" of denim.

Actually, I was reading an old thread on some guy who posted up pics of his Oni Shoai and some other guy congratulated him on picking up one of the denim "grails."

Just got me thinking about what the "grails" really were. I guess I was thinking about "fresh" (as in un-used) denim since that was the context of the statement in the thread. But I can see how the Eternals in the gallery can be considered a grail - though not one to possess physically but rather to aspire to re-create such awesome wear.

Thanks for the sarcasm. Really, I mean it...

You mean he wasn't serious? Think of all the Diesel wearers on MyNudies and that other jean site (which name escapes me for the moment) that are going to be disappointed.

My grail jean:

45rpm Jomon

Every other jean that I want is somewhat within reach for me... somewhat.

Thanks for the sarcasm. Really, I mean it...

Sarcasm?

My list is sincere...

Those are three items which i consider the grails of modern (post 70's) denim for myself.

I have about 400 to 450 pairs of jeans, and those three are the ones i think would really complete my collection. i have an emotional attachment to a couple of those jeans for reasons which are difficult to explain on a message board. :)

That's my personal collection.. i started buying and collecting twelve years ago.

I have ~300 in my storage complex, and 150 in my current house.

I have about 400 to 450 pairs of jeans

I'm starting to lean that way myself (not the 400 jean part... yet), but actually collecting jeans to have and not to wear (often). I love my Eternal 868s. I've only worn them a half dozen times, and I'm never going to sell them. They're just an awesome pair of jeans I like to have in my (slowly) growing collection. I reckon that's the way with Kiya (or maybe he has a thing where he has to wear a different pair of jeans for every day of the year).:D

Sarcasm?

My list is sincere...

Those are three items which i consider the grails of modern (post 70's) denim for myself.

I have about 400 to 450 pairs of jeans, and those three are the ones i think would really complete my collection. i have an emotional attachment to a couple of those jeans for reasons which are difficult to explain on a message board. :)

Sarcasm for your first comment about this being a truly amazing thread.

Anyway... I'm with Beatle and want to see your storage system - both home and at the storage facility. That's probably more jeans than you have at SE at any given time huh?

Say that the average cost of each jean is $200 and at 400 pairs, that's $80K. Fucking insane...

going back to the original question on w/c of the jeans enumerate is the sufu holy grail (wether or not everyone agrees that they are); i'm partial to the oni shoai's as the tops but i may not be good sampling since the opinion is biased. although, i haven't seen the jomons, i'm familiar w/ the ai-001s. tis a tough question having to point out which of these modern jeans is most prized.

I'll eventually get around to posting some photos...

Lowrider.. i'm serious, my initial post had zero sarcasm within it.

I like this thread, it's interesting to see what everybody considers to be their grail.

I feel like we have this thread every month. It's basically "your favorite pair" reworded. In that case... I think that I will have to go with the Samurai 5000VX. Everything is above average without being over the top. The slub, weight, thickness, length, color, hardware, indigo and stitching are all at the exact level that I would like them to be. A top-notch straight leg.

45 RPM would have been the winner, but their inseams are not cutting it.

sounds like kiya is actually has the correct usage of the term grail - things he wants but does not have yet.

I wanna know what the hell those A.R. Cie's look like, or did you just go to your first titty bar in them...

The reason why I like the 45rpm Jomons so much is because for the pages and pages of threads written about it (like that one from styleforum where ringring owned that shirtmaker guy), it is essentially (to me) an ordinary looking pair of jeans. They don't have the "look at me" irregular slub showiness of the Et868 or Oni ShoAi. To me, they represent, what I think, every repro company strives for. To make a jean of the pinnacle of quality material and construction, but at a level so understated, that to 99.9% of everyone who sees them, only see them as a normal pair of jeans. Which, to me, is what I consider the holy grail of jeans.

Of course, I have no idea what they would feel like worn, or how the cut would look on my body. If this were a "favourite jean" thread, I would choose my SC41955s . But if we're talking about grail jeans, then the Jomon would be the one for me.

And it's not because its one of the most expensive ones too. You can buy multiple pairs of Jomons for one pair of those Yoripiko jeans.