The denim bible?

mopar_jj

I've actually never even heard of this book.. anybody got any more info on it?

I currently have about 10 or 12 different denim books but haven't run across this one anywhere..

Kiya,

what are some of the better denim books you have?

thx

I've actually never even heard of this book.. anybody got any more info on it?

I currently have about 10 or 12 different denim books but haven't run across this one anywhere..

I looked through it a couple of times, didn't really find it interesting and definitely not worthy of that title.

Those pics sum up what it is pretty well, just a big but by no means complete collection of images that have something to do with denim in some way in an encyclopdia kind of form.

It had entries along the lines of:

red tab: Levis jeans have a red tab, it's copyrighted and it used to have a big E.

So nothing new....

When I saw the True Religion picture my heart sank a bit.

As far as good books:

Denim: From Cowboys to Catwalks, was really good for the pictures that it included. Plus, it's Paul T's book and he's really cool. It also has a fair bit of technical information and I surprisingly learned a thing or two.

Jeans: A cultural History of and American Icon, was really, really, really good as a history book. I suggest that every single person on this board go out and pick up a copy. The words are printed in blue, and there was even an entire chapter solely on indigo and the philosophy of the color. Very in depth stuff. The book was mind-blowing. I can't believe that it was in my library :)

Buy both today!

• 1 month later...

I read James Sullivan's book a few months back and I must say that the book itself is a very interesting read. I saw it at Barns and Noble a couple of times, so at least one of the major chains does carry it. I suggest that all SuFu posters go out and pick up this book.

Edit: 200th post.

also... does that James Sullivan book have alot of content about new/modern brands of jeans? I was told that Sullivan is not a vintage collector and that made me a little wary of buying it.

Sullivan's book starts out that way. When I first read it and saw that he was starting out with trade show I though to myself "Great, this entire book is going to be just about the modern denim scene." But as I passed the first chapter of the book, I really can't remember if there was an introduction or not, the title of the book really is a history book. The book itself goes through the entire history of jeans and when I say history, I mean going as far back as explaining where the origin of where the word "Denim" came from. However by the end of the book, Sullivan talks about the modern jean, but he really touches of the Japanese brands. If I remember correctly he does mention Samurai in the chapter about Japanese denim. If you really want a book that will give you the history of denim, then this is the book that you want to read. Take my advice and give it a chance, I really think that all of SuFu would like this book.

I agree that the denim bible is a worthwhile tome especially for those in the denim business, but maybe not particularly interesting to most users of this forum. Just remember that sometime down the road documentation of all jeans, including designer jeans, will become part of our written denim history.

But I think if you have an extra $70 lying around you're better off applying it to the This Is a Pair of Levi's Jeans: The Official History of the Levi's Brand (Hardcover) book put together by Lynn Downey and her team. http://www.amazon.com/This-Pair-Levis-Jeans-Official/dp/0961746017

Also..I just received David Little's new 2007 book "Denim An American Story." Although I'm disappointed from what I've seen so far (lack of depth, freshness) his enthusiasm for vintage denim seeps from every page and I recommend adding it to your collection after you have purchased Paul T's and Andrew S's books.

DL1.jpg

DL3.jpg

DL2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...