What exactly is the appeal of Even Steven-style fits?

I thought of posting this in the small questions thread, but considering the fact that it seems like it will prompt discussion, I thought it would be more appropriate to post on the main denim board.

Basically, I just don't understand what the appeal of Japanese style denim is. The low yoke, extremely high rise, and low pockets. Don't get me wrong, I like the style, but only when I wear shirts that are a little longer that can cover the extent of the yoke. I have a pair of Nudie Masa Even Steven and I like the fit, I'm just wondering why it's so popular.

Surely the gangsters don't have Nudie in mind when going for a pair of jeans.

to be honest that style with the extremely dropped pockets is basically exclusive to nudies, well cm does one too but the japanese brands do not. nudie dropped yoke jeans fit with the pockets on your thighs to give a more sagged look. i wouldnt say its necessarily a bad thing but its not my thing and i also wouldn't say its all that popular. but hey it does work sometimes.

Yeah I havent really seen this on Japanese denim?

The dropped pockets look is more of a scenster look, like having low jeans without the arse crack, look at material boy jeans for the ultimate example shit looks like you are wearing a nappy

Oh, I thought that this fit was big in Japan.

So basically, it's just for the more saggy look? Well, I like it, but I don't think I'd want to have an entire closet full of these kinds of jeans. They're awesome for showing off the Nudie pocket designs though (well, I like them, I know Nudie isn't exactly loved here) and if I'm wearing a longer shirt.

It's been said before, but I think a lot of the appeal of Nudies in general is the fact that they get more exposure as far as the um, 'raw jeans phenomenon' goes and thus end up being the beginning for a lot of people. I've heard people say they were interested in Nudies who absolutely/obviously had no idea what the hell I was mumbling about with my 'BLazhgrumble! 14 ounces! Left hand twill! Silver selvage!', although as we've seen, they can certainly be a 'gateway drug' to the dangerous world of high-end raw jeans. That being said, I haven't really seen anything similar in recent memory (the old Corpus pockets maybe, sort of) that replicates the 'sagging pocket' look without actually wearing your jeans too damn low. The masa/Steven seems to be the only Nudie with the super-low yoke, though (did the Bjorn have it?). Not too indicative of 'japanese style' though, really. I don't actually care too much for it myself, although the fit seems nice otherwise.

I thought of posting this in the small questions thread, but considering the fact that it seems like it will prompt discussion, I thought it would be more appropriate to post on the main denim board.

Basically, I just don't understand what the appeal of Japanese style denim is. The low yoke, extremely high rise, and low pockets. Don't get me wrong, I like the style, but only when I wear shirts that are a little longer that can cover the extent of the yoke. I have a pair of Nudie Masa Even Steven and I like the fit, I'm just wondering why it's so popular.

Surely the gangsters don't have Nudie in mind when going for a pair of jeans.

I have a pair of Even Steven Organic dry and I don't find them to be high rise at all. My belt sits just below my hip bones when I wear them. Like before, the low pockets are nudie only, and I really dig them.

Yeah, I bought two pairs to start out, but I'm sure I'll move on to better denim later on.

I started with Nudies, APC have way better quality for also a cheaper price. And yeah i will eventually get better denim also

I find that there is a difference in back rise between Standard Even Steven and Masa. on the Masa, the yoke is definetly a lot lower than on Even Steven.The Masa is a higher waist also, Definetly a nice fit!

stevenmasa.jpg

(I need to stop wearing Masa while riding my bike)

Guest El Salvador

I have an even steven dry organic myself and i love the fit. I don't understant why people are talking a lot about the low yoke because you can also wear them a bit higher without getting a saggy look. The most important thing that bothers me are the knee bulges. That is the only thing of the stevens that I dislike.

I wouldn't say that the dropped pockets are exclusive to Nudie... I have a crappy pair of A/X jeans that were the first dry denim I was able to find before getting the balls to order some on-line. The pockets on those come down just as low as on a Thin Finn, except their taller to begin with, which makes for a really odd look (I don't really wear them any more. Thanks ALD...).

The low yoke look is pretty popular in Japan, just not for many of the brands that get exposure on this board. Most of thestuff on this board is repro or repro inspired... in Japan there are tons of other brands, many of which have low yokes. I think ultra low rise jeans are a lot more popular in Japan atm, though. Go read Popeye or Non-No if you don't believe me.

the knee buldge is weird with the stevens, i not being a huge Nudie supporter dug the look of the dry indigo(no contrast stitching) ES and tried them on and they fit well but buldged out at the knees brand new. i even tried the organics when i was working at db and they buldged too, they're just a little too roomy in the knee other than that its a good fit.

knee bulge FTL!! :D

may17.jpg

I like the fit on my ESDO. It is roomier in the thigh and more fitted around the lower leg than my APC NS. The low yoke is kind of annoying at times, particularly when sagging the jeans a bit, as the ass will "cave in." But overall I like the jeans because they feel like they have a real taper, whereas my NS feels more like a straight leg. I dunno, to each their own.

(And yes, this was my first dry denim)

the finn was meant to be worn higher, hence the higher rise and lower yoke, it is not meant to be worn on the hips.

when worn properly it should look like this:

http://www.mynudies.com/modules/mx_smartor/album.php?smartor_mode=album_pic&pic_id=1711

but when you wear it on your hips you get the I just shat my pants look:

http://www.mynudies.com/modules/mx_smartor/album.php?smartor_mode=album_pic&pic_id=2059

There's no "proper" way to wear denim, you wear jeans however you want to wear them.

scratch 'properly' then and insert 'as intended'

obviously you can wear them how you want. But any pair of jeans is cut with a certain look in mind, and is contoured to fit.

Some jeans look like shit when they're sagged, cuz they weren't intended for it. (that second sagged Finn pic illustrates this perfectly)

I have seen a lot of dropped yoke jeans but never on any dry apart from nudie. I see it on wranglers here in aussie. As far as quality goes i would think that the selvage models from nudie are a lot better quality than the APC stuff. However the denim on the non selvage models are crap.