Dirty Dozen +1 (Around the world...)

cheep

was this fuckng awesome?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. was this fuckng awesome?

• yes
    • fuck yes
    • no.

a couple nights ago, we went to the jiji cafe for some interior decorating inspiration. the jiji cafe is run by robin-san who is a very cool guy. he is half japanese, half indian and you can taste the influence of both cultures in his food.

the place is absoutely beautiful. i didn't take pictures of the more festive areas, but will do so next time. i did take pictures of where we ate which was a separate room with a very chill vibe.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

the food was delicious.

quiche with indian-style cumin potatoes and japanese-style carrots with gobo root.

6.jpg

salad with a tangy, creamy dressing.

7.jpg

japanese-style pasta made with okinawan sea grapes and shiso mint. okinawan sea grapes are seaweed with these little air bubbles that pop in your mouth. it's got an unique texture and subtle taste.

8.jpg

desert. cheesecake with fresh whipped cream and vanilla ice cream drizzled with chocolate sauce.

9.jpg

kamida wallet rope with a new belt buckle i picked up from him the other day.

10.jpg

i've been eating pretty good recently. okinawa has an incredibly diverse array of foods available for me. however, there are some foods that i've started to crave that i've never really craved for until now. for instance, over the past couple weeks, i've been yearning for a bologna sandwich. it's crazy. i didn't even like bologna when i was in the u.s.!

maybe it's because bologna reminds me of america? what's more american than a bologna sandwich with some sliced cheese, mayo and mustard? when i think of bologna, i immediately think of lunch time in elementary school. in fact, the taste and smell of bologna instantly transports me back to my childhood. perhaps, i'm regressing? after i became an adult, i stopped eating bologna sandwiches--we all do. afterall, grown-ups don't do bologna. now that i'm in a new and foreign environment, i think i am searching for things that are familiar to me, things that are comforting to me, things that i know.

unfortunately, they don't sell bologna in the supermarkets in okinawa. luckily, i had a friend on base get me some deli-sliced bologna, some sharp cheddar cheese, some best foods mayo (hellman's for my peoples east of the rockies), a loaf of whole wheat bread and some grey poupon. yeah, that's right. grey poupon, bitch!

the result was a masterpiece! here's looking at you, my old friend, mr. bologna sandwich.

bologna.jpg

pour one part mollasses into a measuring cup. while i was doing this, i found out why they say, "...slow as mollases."

7.jpg

pour one part EM into a measuring cup.

8.jpg

This looks really scary.......

hey beats! it looks scary, but the stuff is harmless. you can even eat it. it's great for pets. it eliminates their odors but is completely safe to spray on them. just dilute it with water first.

yesterday, we visited toma-san's lumber store. he has been running this business for over 40 years. everyone who opens a business knows toma-san. he's the guy you need to see if you need wood or flooring. he has the best prices in the city. on top of that, he's a super nice guy with a big heart. toma-san can seem very tough, but inside he's a sweetheart.

the cool thing about his store is that it is a huge maze of wood. take a wrong turn and you might never get out! sometimes you will find a little room with some old machinery. sometimes, you will just get stuck in a deadend of 2x4's. it's dark and scary, but very cool.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

6a.jpg

we finally found toma-san. he appeared from behind a bunch of wood.

7.jpg

8.jpg

he generously offered to deliver the wood to our store and then explain how to build a wood floor japanese-style.

9.jpg

he gave us a tutorial on how to build our floor and answered all our questions. he even offered to lend us his miter saw! no wonder everyone comes to him whenever they need to build something.

10.jpg

then, he was off. hope to see him again soon.

11.jpg

afterwards, we got a call from nakanishi-san aka ism. he had just come back from his trip to new york. sounds like he had a great time and got a lot of work while he was there.

12.jpg

he brought back some gifts for us! chocolates and shot glasses. he knows us well.

13.jpg

he then gave us a bunch of ideas on how to decorate the store. the guy is a very talented interior designer and has designed some very cool bars and stores. he even offered to help us out on the construction and lend us some tools! i feel very lucky to have met such generous people in okinawa.

14.jpg

15.jpg

after that, we went to momo-san's party at loyd. momo-san is a very busy hairdresser and works at a beauty salon called loyd. she is also one of the more popular dj's in okinawa. her beauty salon was having a grand reopening party, so went and checked it out.

momo.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

this is maeda-san. he is a dj and owns a jazz bar in koza.

3.jpg

shige-san, he owns a very popular bar called chemi. i will take you guys there soon. it was his birthday that night!

4.jpg

refreshments were served. free beer! gotta say it was a great night. :)

15.jpg

toasts are big in japan. whenever there is a party, there are always several toasts. especially in okinawa, you have to be able to toast to a crowd with flowery and gracious language. at one party, i was forced to give a toast and it was probably the shittiest toast in okinawan history. the party-goers were in a state of shock and awe. i definitely have to work on my toasting skills before we have the grand opening party for our store!

16.jpg

17.jpg

chillin with some chop sticks.

18.jpg

cutting the cake. they actually heated a big knife with a blow torch. i thought that was pretty cool.

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

yesterday, i went to a festival in naha with some navy friends of mine. it's called the o-tsunahiki festival and it's the biggest tug-o-war in the world.

we got there in the early afternoon. the streets were still empty.

1.jpg

the parade began....

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

they had teams from every city holding these huge banners. each guy in the team would hoist the banner as a display of strength and teamwork.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

all that parade watching made us hungry. luckily, steakhouse 88 was nearby. it's one of the oldest steakhouses in naha and it's a damn good one.

15.jpg

they have some expensive steaks. their best steak is an ishigaki beef steak for about $135 USD. ishigaki beef is supposed to be one of the best beefs you can eat in all of japan.

16.jpg

i, however, stuck with their 88 special which is considerably more affordable. it came sizzling on a hot plate with their special 88 steak sauce. it was delicious!

17.jpg

after steaks, we found what we came here for. the biggest tug-o-war in the world. if the west side wins, then the farmers will be prosperous. if the east side wins, then the fisherman will be prosperous. so, a lot is at stake here!

this is the end for the west side.

18.jpg

this is the end for the east side.

19.jpg

as you can see, this is a seriously big rope.

20.jpg

21.jpg

they had these people on the rope that were directing everyone. first, we have to tie the two ends together, so we had to pull forward first.

33.jpg

i got my pull-on.

31.jpg

even little kids got in on the action. many were trampled.

32.jpg

after about 15 minutes of pulling, the knot was tied. gordian knot, eat your heart out.

45.jpg

then, from far away, came the king of the west, with some other dude and another dude with a stick. they came sliding down the rope.

36.jpg

37.jpg

they met the king of the east and his homeboys at the big knot.

the two kings cursed each other out for about 5 minutes, yelling and threatening each other. then, the dudes with the sticks started fighting furiously, east vs. west violence.

after 5 minutes of mortal combat, there was no decisive winner. there is only one way left to settle this: TUG-O-WAR!

the ball above the big knot exploded and confetti flew everywhere signaling the beginning of the tug-o-war.

38.jpg

we all grabbed a piece of the rope.

39.jpg

40.jpg

it was complete madness!

41.jpg

42.jpg

unfortunately, my side (we were on the west side) lost in 5 minutes. looks like we're eating a lot of fish this year!

afterwards, everyone got on top of the rope.

43.jpg

people started chopping off pieces of the rope furiously. pieces of the rope are good luck!

my boy schneider got a bunch of rope.

44.jpg

all that rope pulling made us hungry, so we headed to coco's, aka cocoichibanya curry house.

46.jpg

47.jpg

they have different levels of spiciness, 1-10. 10 is supposed to be unbearably spicey, so of course, i ordered it.

50.jpg

it came and the steam from the curry alone made your eyes water!

50a.jpg

i chowed it down like a champ. it was spicy as hell! but really, really fucking good.

52.jpg

but, man, did i pay for it the next day! :(

51.jpg