Style V Fashion

volta

I agree that style is your own interpretation of what YOU feel is fashionable. However, style is also your ability to reflect your own creative ideas while still remaining fashionable. Someone can be fashioinable by simply buying the right magazines and following them intensely, but a stylish person; though they may use magazines, blogs, forums etc... as a guide, is always putting their own creative signatures on everything they wear. I feel the essential difference between being fashionable and stylish (as I see the words being used in every day language) is that style implies creativity and individuality while being fashionable is merely following trends.

Please define what is "Fashion" according to you because it is not the same as what is "in fashion" (as in current in style, not necessary a bad thing by the way). The accepted definition of someone who is stylish is basically the same as for someone who is fashionable so this conversation doesn't make much sense. What people are trying to express, I guess is something along the line of "you don't need to hop up on all trends to be well dressed" (noticed that I didn't use fashionable or stylish because that's not the words you're looking for). It sounds like such a truism to me that I don't really see what we're discussing.

Oh and if you think that "Fashion" (big F) is pre-cooked and seem to think it is a bad thing, how about looking for designers that show some complexity and depth in their work?

Hmm... I just want to express someone (actually it's most of people) just not wear the clothing on, but money. That wears expensive stuff and pround of themself by the lots money not lots good scense (more money not means more good scense).

I think now fashion is closer to fast and changing thing, in this case, you could wear a dior tee jeans and boots just like the pix on the magazine, that's fashion! But style like 70s mods and punk in UK, 80s rock & roll in USA, many many styles we are talking about still, you could buy fashion stuff easily, but the history of music, film, and generation you should take them and agree with it, that could just become your style, or attitude, that needs much time.

How do you feel Dior Homme, I feel like Mods mix Rock & roll and punks (the sound track just like The Clash), is it fashion or style to you? To many people, I think it's fashion, to Hedi, that's an attitude to him in my eye! more like style he wants to express to, so I said, Style is like the fashion's mother! Fashion like the meal, and designer is the cooker, but most of the people just want have a good taste dinner, only commentators or designers need to learn the things of food behide. Stylish is also in fashion for sure, in fact, they create fashion, unfortunatly, fashion is not always in style!

but what's trends to you? I think we are talking about the same thing, you just change the fashion to trends... if you argue the words, sorry, english is not my mother language, next time we could chat by chinese!

you can buy style... aka... look at most celebrities.

they have personal stylists.

maybe it's not your style, but hey, you bought it.

bought dont equal to have! You can buy a woman of the streets, even looks like a nymph, it's not a love still... Even you have a adult movie actor as your teacher, it can not be "LOVE"

if one has read what has been written so far in this thread, imo the terms "style" and "fashion" has been defined pretty well. they will never be the exact meaning to everyone so nit-picking on the details is probably not the best use of time. still when i was reading this thread I thought of two blogs.

Face-hunter: 90% of the pictures represent fashion (although it may be strange european fashion :P)

http://facehunter.blogspot.com/

and the Sartorialist: 90% of the pictures are taken for the high quality style of the subjects.

obviously the bloggers could not exclude style or fashion from their pics as they are often interwined, but they have different views on clothing and the motivation of the wearers so if you are young and want to improve your sense of "whatever" then seeing the differences between the subjects on the two sites is a good start.

if one has read what has been written so far in this thread, imo the terms "style" and "fashion" has been defined pretty well. they will never be the exact meaning to everyone so nit-picking on the details is probably not the best use of time. still when i was reading this thread I thought of two blogs.

Face-hunter: 90% of the pictures represent fashion (although it may be strange european fashion :P)

and the Sartorialist: 90% of the pictures are taken for the high quality style of the subjects.

obviously the bloggers could not exclude style or fashion from their pics as they are often interwined, but they have different views on clothing and the motivation of the wearers so if you are young and want to improve your sense of "whatever" then seeing the differences between the subjects on the two sites is a good start.

those are both good blogs. i am not as familiar with the sartorialist, it llooks good.

I think the OP had a good definition. I think style is a persons quality. Theres more to it then just clothing. Fashion is something you can buy and is more based in trends however I also think that many stylish people mix both fashion and style together. Fashion might be expensive labels and trends that most people are explicitly aware of but style might have to do with the details that the average person might not notice. Style completes fashion I think ...I dont know if what I am saying is making any sense but whatever....