Keirin

prufrock

Frames in Japan are alot harder to come by nowadays.

Prices are going up. Years ago you could get a frame for $100-200... now they're up to $300+.

Your best bet would be to know someone in JP already and have them find one on Yahoo! Auctions JP since frames are on their continously.

Your second best bet is Stratton (keirinculture.com), eBay, or craiglist. Sashae (subtle.org/se) also gets frames but not as frequent. However, he gets some really noice frames.

Ironically, I have been thinking that I need to educate myself more about Japanese frames as I am currently living in Yokohama. I have no time to do this at the present time, but in about 2 mo. I will be moving to Saitama (where Ill have more time) and I was thinking that there might be a market for this in the states and so I have been playing with the idea of trying to do something like this. If anyone can suggest any books, websites (besides fixed gear gallery, and Ill check out Keirin culture), etc. that might be a good starting place please PM me and +rape shall be thy reward.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Prufrock, are you still looking for that frame? Chromesquared already give you the hook up? If not I'm in a position to help you out. I'll PM so we can get things started.

i would not buy one of those frames used.. just watch some of the crashes those guys take..

the crashes are pretty raw, but usually the frame is alright. there will be some dents on the tubes, but you can get those filled pretty easily. i'm obviously not going to buy a trashed frame =) keirin frames are fucking troopers. lugged steel frames all the way.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Prufrock, are you still looking for that frame? Chromesquared already give you the hook up? If not I'm in a position to help you out. I'll PM so we can get things started.

Im working 6 days a week, and sometimes all fuckin day.... but this will only be for the next 2 weeks. Then I should be able to help ppl out, but Ill have to set up a Y! acccount, etc. Im also looking for a frame myself, so Im always looking out for stuff online. Ive also been meaning to get down to punch, and some of the other spots around the TKYO area. Ill bump the thread again later when I get settled in at my new apt.

• 4 weeks later...

im currently 3 months into my 4 month waiting list spot for an extra dope custom Kalavinka kerin frame by master-builder Akio Tanabe. when it's done, it should look something like this (but with silver pin stripes/kanji, and chromed lugs)

track_6722.jpg

i have all the components ready to hang as soon as its done. NJS all the way.

im currently 3 months into my 4 month waiting list spot for an extra dope custom Kalavinka kerin frame by master-builder Akio Tanabe. when it's done, it should look something like this (but with silver pin stripes/kanji, and chromed lugs)

track_6722.jpg

i have all the components ready to hang as soon as its done. NJS all the way.

How much is that baby costing you?

How much is that baby costing you?

$1,000 shipped. i know one might think "thats WAY too much to pay for just a frame", but even that price is discounted close to 15% as it includes shipping (US/Hawaii), and his standard custom build rate is aprox. $1,200 minus shipping. not to mention it will be tailor made to fit me specifically.

i just wrapped a contracted Konami gig (DDR), and wanted to treat myself to something i've always wanted with the money = macbook pro and japanese track frame. i wont lie, part of why im going with a Keirin frame has to do with the hype. i'd say one part hype, one part quality craftmenship, one part heritage (as i am half japanese). the waiting sucks a lot, though.

what?

Did you win a ddr contest or do something for the franchise?

nah, i'm a drum n bass emcee (that doesnt suck, haha) also hiphop. one of the Konami audio tech guys came to a couple of my dnb gigs. got an email asking if i were interested in being "the voice of DDR rev. univ. 2". they wrote up a contract, i liked the terms, did 4 sessions/900 lines of dialouge, im RICH BITCHES! nah, the compensation wasnt THAT crazy (considering theyre a japanese corp and all), but still good enough to pay a few bills as well as the afore mentioned yumyums. im happy. now go make fun of my silly game-guy voice when it comes out later in Q4 ;)

That's super cool, dude. Voice-over work begets voice-over work as well, so this might bear an accidental second career. How'd you talk the builder into such an extensive discount?

There's a guy who periodically sells Keirin frames on LA craigslist.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/bik/382772956.html

His prices are exorbinant, but his bikes are top-notch.

nah, i'm a drum n bass emcee (that doesnt suck, haha) also hiphop. one of the Konami audio tech guys came to a couple of my dnb gigs. got an email asking if i were interested in being "the voice of DDR rev. univ. 2". they wrote up a contract, i liked the terms, did 4 sessions/900 lines of dialouge, im RICH BITCHES! nah, the compensation wasnt THAT crazy (considering theyre a japanese corp and all), but still good enough to pay a few bills as well as the afore mentioned yumyums. im happy. now go make fun of my silly game-guy voice when it comes out later in Q4 ;)

haha that's fucking awesome!

• 1 year later...

im selling this brand new never ridden 56 cm torelli corsa pista track frame. hand built in italy partially lugged lighter and as strong as any njs frame. they go for 750 new instores without bottom bracket headset and fork so i figured since i bought it for 795 (will send recipt) and you get a brand new headset and italian bottom bracket that i went out and bought but never ended up using, and never even road the thing, i should get at least 700 for it. if you like it email me and we can discuss shipping and stuff [email protected]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/takewarning1x/torelli8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/takewarning1x/torelli7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/takewarning1x/torelli2.jpg