the quay brothers

Guest jmatsu

Guest jmatsu

i admit i'm late on their shit.

i just say the piono tuner of earthquakes and kind of liked it. i'm planning on seeing their 1st film as well (can't remember the name).

a couple of questions-

does anyone like them?

please give me some interesting info about them/their films (i don't know shit).

are their puppet films worth a watch or just contrived art trite?

they've apparently only made 2 films. i piano tuner dvd i rented was primarily in english (besides random spanish and italian). was english the originally intended language for the film?

I saw 3 or 4 short films that they made and I can say that I enjoyed them. I went to see The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes around a year ago and I walked out of the theater. To me it wasn't a movie, just nice pictures going by, I can take 20 minutes of that but not much longer.

From what I read here about movies that you watch you might like them. I saw a dvd called "Films of Brothers Quay" for sale at Best Buy so you should be able to get it without any problems, I think there are a few of the short films on it.

Guest jmatsu
yeah let me get back home from work and look them up.

don't get me wrong, i can research their filmography. i seem to trust your taste in film, so if you could just tell me off the top of your head which ones you like...

don't get me wrong, i can research their filmography. i seem to trust your taste in film, so if you could just tell me off the top of your head which ones you like...

The problem was that I just couldn't remember the titles. Anyway

I liked them in this order:

Street of Crocodiles

In Absentia (with soundtrack by Stockhausen, which right away made this a 'must see' for me)

The Comb

Rehearsals for Extinct Anatomies

I also only saw them at festivals, which in my mind changes my perception a little since most of the time I see about 15 movies in few days and can't focus on analyzing all of them. I might see them again if I can locate them anywhere.

The problem was that I just couldn't remember the titles. Anyway

I liked them in this order:

Street of Crocodiles

In Absentia (with soundtrack by Stockhausen, which right away made this a 'must see' for me)

The Comb

Rehearsals for Extinct Anatomies

I also only saw them at festivals, which in my mind changes my perception a little since most of the time I see about 15 movies in few days and can't focus on analyzing all of them. I might see them again if I can locate them anywhere.

My friend has a collection of them and I've seen a few at galleries / special showings, of what I've seen so far I'd definitely agree with this list, and most definitely agree with the soundtrack by Stockhausen. I'll admit I haven't seen more than perhaps two or three films, but I distinctly remember Street of Crocodiles and In Absentia both.

edit: some reading material, a thoroughly comprehensive article. Covers the history of their work as well as introducing the "persona" that is the quay brothers.

double edit: here's the fucking URL. Stupid.