using "nigga" if you aren't black

Guest jmatsu

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but just because something is accepted doesn't make it right.

Many things are not right in this world and we don't do anything about it.

Guest StuckOnStupid
See, as a liberal white middle class person who can easily go a whole day without seeing a non-white face, I do the sensible thing and don't derive my language from hiphop songs and tv shows that have absolutely no social or cultural relevance to me.

this is one of the best pieces of common sense i have ever seen on this forum. add "fashion" to that and you got something that should be written in stone.

As a white person, I don't want to say it, but the times when,as Larry said, quoting a hip hop song or a line from a Dave Chappelle sketch, it's weird not saying it. I mean, I still don't say it, but I think it's weird how it's become a word that is censored, and is being censored even when quoting a black person. So in essence, it is going from a word that black people "own" to one where white people are censoring it, and again trying to act like they know what's best for everybody.

But my original point is, if I were to read a black poets writings, should I even not say the word, and replace their writings with the phrase "the n-word", or should I just say what the black person wrote or said.

Although I don't use the word in regular conversation and don't find myself needing to quote things that do very often, what you're saying seems overly sensitive. As long as you make it known that you're quoting another person's words, and the intention of the quote is not to directly offend someone, then I don't see a problem with quoting something as it was stated.

Are you honestly saying that if you were reading a poem such as "Mulatto" by Langston Hughes or a book like The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and hypothetically you had to read a line from it aloud that included the word, you'd skip it or say "n-word" instead? Now I have nothing against trying not to offend people, but in my opinion that is going too far the other way. I hate racism, but I also hate censorship, and I think we're doing a work a disservice when we start cutting out words because they make us feel a little uncomfortable.

then you disrespect the history of blacks in america--and, well, blacks or assigned 'niggers' all over the world (e.g. "sand niggers" or filipinos of the PH-Am war the Americans referred to them as niggers). i don't think the word should be neutered nor taken out of the english language. there should be respect for the word and its history.

nigga/nigger may be a term of endearment, but i feel that it is (or should be) used amongst people (potentially of any race) who know the struggle. it's a part of a lifestyle... not a game nor a joke.

if ppl w/ zero connections, consciousness, or conscience for that matter appropriate the word--i feel it's really disrespectful. just like hipster aholes wearing neon green kheffiyeh scarves and knowing nothing or not giving a shit about the situation in Palestine... except that's just rooted in ignorance and vanity--whereas the useage of nigga/er by folk w/ zero connections has this warped sense of entitlement and are acting on their privilege while indirectly or directly making fun of folks--being a thug/black is suddenly a huge joke (like the ending of Bamboozled).

and it's sad how this stuff still plays out very vivdly especially today--and way beyond suburban white kids referring to ea. other as 'niggas'. 'Cause what's funnier than playing "black"? blackface on college campuses via Ghetto parties (like the ones that just happened to celebrate MLK's birthday--great idea, eh?) or Imus w/ his "Nappy Headed Hoes" 'joke'.

i really like a recent South Park episode--that really deftly deals with what real racism looks like, and dealt with that whole b.s. line of "words don't really mean anything". words, their use, and the intent behind them, or even their mindless use by the unconscious (the hordes of suburbanites using 'nigga'), do mean something.

and to tell people to get over their sensitivity especially on something like the "N-word" is a really... stupid but very common thing to do.

it appears as if this is an argument against what i said. but i cant tell because i agree with everything within the post and think it is almost what i was saying.

If you think of black people when you say the word "nigga" then you shouln't say it.

Why?

Because in the hood, where the word "nigga" is said 100 times a sentence, nigga doesn't have much of a racial connotation. You kinda have to be in the hood to understand, but nigga means "men" or "friend" more than it does black. That's why in NYC the word nigga is thrown around like water directed at anybody, even if they are white.

Example

you see a asian guy with some samurai's

"yo son, look at that nigga with the samurai's"...

Even though the dude is asian, it's still acceptable.

the only people who really get offended from been called nigga are the females. Which proves my point about "nigga" being used in place of "man".

THIS ONLY APPLIES TO NYC.

BTW. I'm not black and i say nigga a million times a day in front of anybody. ight my nigga !?!?

Although I don't use the word in regular conversation and don't find myself needing to quote things that do very often, what you're saying seems overly sensitive. As long as you make it known that you're quoting another person's words, and the intention of the quote is not to directly offend someone, then I don't see a problem with quoting something as it was stated.

Are you honestly saying that if you were reading a poem such as "Mulatto" by Langston Hughes or a book like The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and hypothetically you had to read a line from it aloud that included the word, you'd skip it or say "n-word" instead? Now I have nothing against trying not to offend people, but in my opinion that is going too far the other way. I hate racism, but I also hate censorship, and I think we're doing a work a disservice when we start cutting out words because they make us feel a little uncomfortable.

That's exactly my point. At what point can't you say it. Because I agree, I think that quoting a poem or some other person's words, it shouldn't be censored. But that is exactly what's happened. You won't hear the word being spoken on any newscast or anything. Whenever the word comes up, the media (news/tv/whatever) will either bleep it or say "the n-word" instead of actually saying it.

• 1 year later...
i try not to say it...

i've heard from a couple of black friends that it all depends on the swagger of the nonblack individual, their upbringing or the context though. i've said it, i ain't black, and i'm trying not to say it anymore.

what do some of our esteemed black sufu members think about nonblack individuals using the term?

Jmatsu, you've come a long way baby...

Guest Yons07

I am half black and I don't even say it, then I come to this shit and all this non-blacks are extra grimy with the word.

ughh it is whatever at the end of the day.

EDIT:

look at the attacks I get.

2wdmypx.png

lol smh

Guest jmatsu
Jmatsu, you've come a long way baby...

thanks!!

saying "nigga" is just so liberating. unfortunately it is kinda played out. trying limit my sufu usage of nigga to like once a day...twice tops. for this forum that is. called some of my employees nigga today. was at starbucks. i said to the coffee-maker "nigga make me a dopio and make sure the cup is anew one. i don't want no cup that some other nigga was nigga-lipping!" i also called the mailman a stupid nigga cause she delivered me the neighbor's mail.

i'm not uptight about most things but I just cringe whenever I see someone on here saying it... maybe because of where I live though.

Sometimes I picture some of the people on here going up to some dude here in ATL and saying "stfu n!gga", what would happen. hassulk.gif

ETA - I just re-read and it sounded worse than I meant it... I don't really care or get upset, I just find the abundance of the word's usage on this internet site to be a bit extreme and unusual :P

what's worse? a white person calling their white friends nigga, or a white person calling their white friends cracka?

]what about asain people? can we start using some of their derogatory names? They have some good ones, more diverse that black people...

Or jewish people? Arabs? Mederteranian? Skandinavian? South-American? There is so many good derogatory words, that put down ethnic groups of people... and thats why we're her... right?:(

i'm not uptight about most things but I just cringe whenever I see someone on here saying it... maybe because of where I live though.

Sometimes I picture some of the people on here going up to some dude here in ATL and saying "stfu n!gga", what would happen. hassulk.gif

ETA - I just re-read and it sounded worse than I meant it... I don't really care or get upset, I just find the abundance of the word's usage on this internet site to be a bit extreme and unusual :P

oh cmon i KNOW youre a lot more intelligent than that...really? i mean you really cringe? really really? yea its been beaten to death whether its being used sarcastically, used by a dumb motherfucker, or being used for real, but i see racial slurs being tossed around for asians, caucasians, whatever...so what do you wonder would happen if someone called an asian man a chink in real life? he wouldnt do anything cause he'd be too timid, ri?

i cant believe you went for the "oh you wouldnt dare say nigga in front of a black guy"...why inaya? is it cause all black dudes are niggas who will fuck your shit up?

cmoooon...

id rather have stupid motherfuckers postin shit rather than people tryin to keep it real but not really keepin it that real at all...

WTF

you are in ATL?

HI

I'm like 2 hrz away. I might be heading down there later this month.

edit: thought you were a dude til like now too. i suck.

what's worse? a white person calling their white friends nigga, or a white person calling their white friends cracka?

]what about asain people? can we start using some of their derogatory names? They have some good ones, more diverse that black people...

Or jewish people? Arabs? Mederteranian? Skandinavian? South-American? There is so many good derogatory words, that put down ethnic groups of people... and thats why we're her... right?:(

what are "asains" and "mederteranians"

fuckin' convict bogan ocker anglo-pilferer skippy yobbo can't spell for shit