using "nigga" if you aren't black

Guest jmatsu

Guest jmatsu

i try not to say it...

i've heard from a couple of black friends that it all depends on the swagger of the nonblack individual, their upbringing or the context though. i've said it, i ain't black, and i'm trying not to say it anymore.

what do some of our esteemed black sufu members think about nonblack individuals using the term?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in the context of rap music and those who are in that type of lifestyle ie...drug dealers,people who live or grew up in the hood or frequent it ..its more accepted. I can kind of get the argument some make about owning the word . I for one went to schools that were in what could be called the hood or the ghetto but im african so i had a different upbringing at home that some of my friends. The kids used it in school but I noticed it was mostly only the hood mentality kids who used that word. I dont use it I think its unecessary I have friends of all different backgrounds and we freely talk about race and make jokes about stereotypes because to use its not an issue. But I have to say that when im on the train or public area and I hear people who are or are not black say that word I feel really angry and ashamed.

Not saying its right but............

Its sorta okay for black people to call you that word

its sorta okay for hispanics in nyc to use it in front of black folk

It's okay for non hispanics\blacks to use it with hispanics

Haitians/Africans/Black Brits tend not to use it as a term of endearment

Context doesn't matter if the wrong person who heard is looking for a fight

well nobody should really be saying it to begin with IMO. im just as guilty as the next person though, i say it occasionally (im black btw).

as far as non-blacks saying it, it just depends. like for example if its a white friend who has grown up in a culture where it's acceptable to say the word, and im cool with them, then i have no real problem with them using it in moderation. however, if its for example a white person saying to me "yo can i say the n word" as a joke, and theyre not even cool with me at all, plus they havent even grown up in tha culture, then yes i have a problem with it

Guest jmatsu

this one black guy got really upset when i called my japanese friend a "nigga."

i was at a starbucks and i greeted him with a " yo waddup my asian-nigga!"

As a Black person let me ask you non-Black folks something: Why do you want to use the word?

Please stop, it is really one of the worst of the many bad looks (homophobia, pedophilia, misogyny) that gets tossed around casually in this forum.

anyone else remember the ending of bamboozled? -- that's how i feel about it.

if it's a joke and yer flippantly playing Thug/"Black" (e.g. pimp- or ghetto- or kill whitey parties) rather than yer genuine lifestyle...then that sucks. :(

for the record i dont think being 20 and banging 17 year olds qualifies as pedophelia and the vast majority of homophobia on these posts is (10)

Sarcastic "fags" and ironic "niggaz" are weak as fuck, no matter how you spin it. (0)

anyone else remember the ending of bamboozled? -- that's how i feel about it.

if it's a joke and yer flippantly playing Thug/"Black" (e.g. pimp- or ghetto- or kill whitey parties) rather than yer genuine lifestyle...then that sucks. :(

i think this might actually be a good thing. when people who have no connection to black culture appropraite the word out of appreciation or as novelty, it takes the negative connotation out of the word and makes it not a hateful thing, meanwhile it shows the ignorance of the user, which is another plus.

however, if people with no connection to black culture apporopriate the word without an appreciation or sense of novelty, it adds to the negative connotation and builds the hate behind it.

personally, im immune to racial slurs thrown against me and if im comfortable around someone who is of another ethnicity, i expect a level playing field.

Guest ksr1900
i think you're allowed to say "nigger" if the number of white people you're with outnumbers the number of black people in the surrounding area. correct me if i'm wrong.

yeah im pretty sure youre 1) wrong as fuck 2) a racist if you ever say "niggER" the term being discussed is "niggA"...theres a difference and 3) dumb as fuck

hahah...its funny because i was gonna respond to arem's post regarding sarcastic "fags" never being funny...but i deleted the post because i didnt want to drag chris into the whole thing...lo and behold