London Shopping Districts ?? - 24hrs to explore

HelperMonkey

*first post -- hello from Chicago*

In three weeks I'm going to be in London for about 24 hours and wanted to know which geographic areas are a must for shopping. I'm looking for hip men's clothing in the spirit of the following types of shops in the US:

NYC - Reed Space, Union, 555 Soul, Prohibit, Supreme

SF - Villian's Vault

Chicago - Untitled, Wicker Park type stores

LA - Some of the less cheesy places along Melrose

Atlanta - Little 5 Points area

I've searched these forums and studied the shoplist on this site's homepage (this site is fantastic by the way). It seems SoHo, Covent Garden and Carnaby St are a must. Are there any geographic areas I might be missing or shops that are worth checking out but aren't listed on the shoplist ( http://superfuture.com/city/city/selected.cfm?city=6 ) ?

The last time I was in London was 1998 and my only shopping memory was being wowed by how silly the store Cyberdog was :)

I'll have about 6 hours to bum around these areas in between the more traditional touristy stuff we have planned. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As an aside, if anyone has any Edinburgh shopping suggestions, I'll be there for two days and could use some help. Thanks.

Just stay out of Oxford Street and you'll be fine. That mentioned - Selfridges Men's Department is amazing, an entire floor of hip brands like DPMHI (and all the luxury brands from Dolce&Gabbana to YSL). Selfridges is on Oxford Street. Those you mentioned - Covent Garden, Soho, Carnaby St are pretty much where the shops are. You might also go to Knightsbridge where they have Harvey Nichols and Harrods. Both have good selection of pretty much everything (both famous big dept stores).

London:

Start off in SOHO head for Carnaby Street then Covent Garden leaving plenty time for Knightsbridge this should be perfect for killing 6 hrs. If you have time you should visit Browns (www.brownsfashion.com) as they always have some nice stuff. It's on South Molton Street next to Bond Street tube.

As for Edinburgh, obviously it's a lot smaller, so everything's within 5mins walk from each other. You've got Harvey Nichols which is next to the Mulltrees Walk (the walk has various 'brand' stores like Replay/Armani/CK/LV etc), Xile in the Waverly centre (PRPS/GStar/Y3/Umbro Kim Jones etc). There's also Jenners on Princes Street, a place on Rose Street which used to be called Millenium but isn't anymore, they sell stuff like Energie, D&G and 'eurofashion'. A few good skate shops, and OddOneOut on Victoria Street which has stuff like MHI/Oddities/Silas/Aem Kei/Surface to Air etc.

Any more Stuff you want on Edinburgh just let me know.

i just did the same thing, i hope your 24 hrs aren't on a sunday cos most boutiques are closed that day. one shop outside of the above areas i wanted to check out but didn't have a chance to was bread and honey near shoreditch.

my advice is to try to focus on english brands because btwn tariffs and exchange rates, imported ones like nike are going to give you serious sticker shock. oh yeah, and the muji on tottenham ct rd is well worth checking out.

I concure, Liberty is fab, definately pop in.

also check out yohgii yamamoto, voyage (rocky & tatiana), browns & selfridges men's dept.

costume national & comme look briliant. (just my 2 cents there)

have fun whatever you do

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Liberty sounds like a must.

I was going to avoid the Knightsbridge area as the map on the main page of superfuture makes it look like it's all really high end stuff. I can't afford Dolce & Gabbana here in the states, let alone in the UK where my dollar is worth half as much. Am I overgeneralizing the area or is it worth visiting with a few standout affordable places interspersed?

are you psycho shopping in london?

2:1

That just means I'm going to have to like what I buy twice as much before splurging.;)

As for Edinburgh, obviously it's a lot smaller, so everything's within 5mins walk from each other. You've got Harvey Nichols which is next to the Mulltrees Walk (the walk has various 'brand' stores like Replay/Armani/CK/LV etc), Xile in the Waverly centre (PRPS/GStar/Y3/Umbro Kim Jones etc). There's also Jenners on Princes Street, a place on Rose Street which used to be called Millenium but isn't anymore, they sell stuff like Energie, D&G and 'eurofashion'. A few good skate shops, and OddOneOut on Victoria Street which has stuff like MHI/Oddities/Silas/Aem Kei/Surface to Air etc.

Any more Stuff you want on Edinburgh just let me know.

Thanks. What are the few good skate shops worth checking out? Focus sounds like it's worth a visit.