Coachella Reviews 07'

wildcat

Overall it was pretty awesome minus all the bro's walking around w/ tribal tatoos. I didn't have enough time to see all the bands I wanted, but here's who I did see;

Jesus & Mary Chain - Awesome at soundcheck and even better when they performed.

Arctic Monkeys - Didn't expect them to be a good live band since their style is a little sloppy, but they were one of the best all weekend, new songs kick ass, singer plays a matchless (if anyone on here is into amps, they sound awesome), and they definitely lived up to all the hype.

Interpol - Amazing from start to finish. Their new lp is going to be good if you're a fan. Doesn't really break too much new ground, but they've been m.i.a. too long so people were just excited that they were back.

Peaches - Killer.

Justice - Stole the show this year in my opinion. Marshall full stacks on stage, live remixes, the whole place was going off the whole time, if you haven't heard of these guys yet check them out now.

LCD Soundsystem - Ridiculous. Guitarist from Hot Chip played with them. Their sound was so clean and tight it almost didn't sound like a live band was playing. I felt like I was watching history being made.

CSS - Disappointing. I've been waiting to see these guys/girls play for awhile, but their set got old real quick, was anti-climactic, and just looked like an ad for American Apparel Leotards.

Ghostface - He had like 50-100 people on stage, played some old Wu-Tang songs, sound clips of gunshots every other minute, dope set.

Ratatat - Got to hang and watch them backstage/sidestage. It was packed, they were fucking awesome as usual, sound was huge, I love these guys.

Rage was fucking amazing. A bit rusty it seemed as Tom had some problems with the delay pedal on a song and the timing was off a bit at certain moments. The set was:

Testify

Bulls on Parade

People of the Sun

Bombtrack

Bullet In the Head

Know Your Enemy

Down Rodeo

Guerilla Radio

Renegades of Funk

Calm Like a Bomb

Sleep Now In the Fire

Wake Up

------------------------------

Freedom

Killing In the Name

They didn't play "No Shelter," made me a bit sad.

The Roots were fucking amazing also.

He utilizes both.

Taken straight from Wikipedia:

"To assist in his alien guitar sounds, Morello chooses various effects pedals. During his tenure in RATM, he used a Dunlop Cry Baby, a Digitech WH-1 Whammy, a Boss DD-2 Digital Delay, a DOD EQ pedal (used to boost the volume during guitar solos), and an Ibanez DFL Flanger."

He was spot on with the guitar parts necessitating whammy pedal usage, but the delay was off and he seemed a bit frustrated at one point.

He utilizes both.

Taken straight from Wikipedia:

"To assist in his alien guitar sounds, Morello chooses various effects pedals. During his tenure in RATM, he used a Dunlop Cry Baby, a Digitech WH-1 Whammy, a Boss DD-2 Digital Delay, a DOD EQ pedal (used to boost the volume during guitar solos), and an Ibanez DFL Flanger."

He was spot on with the guitar parts necessitating whammy pedal usage, but the delay was off and he seemed a bit frustrated at one point.

seems weird too considering it's not like he stopped playing guitar. he probably used the EXACT setup for audioslave. and it's a dd-2, not the super duper crazy dd-6

Yeah, I was right up front for Blonde Redhead, great set. Kind of wishing I had watched Justice instead though since Blonde Redhead comes through town quite a bit.

It was awesome to finally see Bjork after being a huge fan for years. Explosions in the Sky were amazing, I don't know how they can play like that in the crazy desert heat but I guess being from Texas, they're probably used to it. Ghostface was fun to watch, kind of reminded me of Doom's set in '04 the way he just turned it into a medley of hits.

All in all, it was an awesome weekend. Crossing my fingers for a My Bloody Valentine reunion next year.

Yeah, I was right up front for Blonde Redhead, great set. Kind of wishing I had watched Justice instead though since Blonde Redhead comes through town quite a bit.

It was awesome to finally see Bjork after being a huge fan for years. Explosions in the Sky were amazing, I don't know how they can play like that in the crazy desert heat but I guess being from Texas, they're probably used to it. Ghostface was fun to watch, kind of reminded me of Doom's set in '04 the way he just turned it into a medley of hits.

All in all, it was an awesome weekend. Crossing my fingers for a My Bloody Valentine reunion next year.

i honestly don't know if a MBV reunion would be good or bad. It's one of those things i've put up on that pedestal in my mind. Kind of like when there were rumors of them finishing the glider album in '03, i was at first really happy, but then realized that kevin shields hasn't released a sequel to loveless because he can't call me a grump. Plus, have you ever heard a MBV bootleg that wasn't just noise? I've heard the same was true about the swirlies. I guess it might just be the fact that you're "there."