renting a beach house in Southern Cali

shagnscoob

Well my senior class decided it would be a really good idea to rent a beach house for prom weekend. Actually I came up with the idea.

Now I need help: where do I even look for a rentable beach house? Let alone one we can rent for a WEEKEND?

either way it will be expensive but some choices are.....

san diego, mission beach (i know you can rent beach houses here)

or up north in hunnington beach maybe if you got some bills.

How many people will there be?

Sneaking a bunch of people into a posh hotel may not be the easiest thing to do.

Renting a place would be the best, however that requires a large safety deposit and you have to find a cool owner. There's also typically a minimum stay of 2-3 nights. Check around Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Venice Beach, Santa Monica, Malibu, Laguna Beach, and Newport Beach.

You could always screw the luxury and do this ghetto fab. Try renting a suite or two at a townhouse style hotel; the type of place businessmen go for extended stays. You won't get much shit from hotel security at this type of place. It's also the cheapest option. You can rent 2-3 large connected suites fairly cheap, or rent a whole isolated unit.

Having said all this, beach front property for prom would be great. That'd allow you to walk around, booze on the beach, and run off with a girl. There's a few good hotels near Hermosa Beach for this. Rent a suite or two that opens up into the beach.

How many people will there be?

Sneaking a bunch of people into a posh hotel may not be the easiest thing to do.

Renting a place would be the best, however that requires a large safety deposit and you have to find a cool owner. There's also typically a minimum stay of 2-3 nights. Check around Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Venice Beach, Santa Monica, Malibu, Laguna Beach, and Newport Beach.

You could always screw the luxury and do this ghetto fab. Try renting a suite or two at a townhouse style hotel; the type of place businessmen go for extended stays. You won't get much shit from hotel security at this type of place. It's also the cheapest option. You can rent 2-3 large connected suites fairly cheap, or rent a whole isolated unit.

Having said all this, beach front property for prom would be great. That'd allow you to walk around, booze on the beach, and run off with a girl. There's a few good hotels near Hermosa Beach for this. Rent a suite or two that opens up into the beach.

specific recommendations for hotels on hermosa beach?

btw thanks for this info, this is some good shit.

I actually threw my prom afterparty at this hotel in Hermosa Beach: http://www.beach-house.com/. We packed 20-35 people in there and didn't have any problems. Get a room on the first floor that opens up into the beach. Sneak people in through the back. When I threw the party a lot of other random partiers were staying in the hotel. A few of them brought booze and crashed our party. They were really fun -- it was very memorable.

The location is pretty good. You're close to a lot of restaurants and the bar scene on the pier. You can move the party outside if it gets too rowdy. Also, you get 5 or so passes to get people in the jacuzzi, which I never used.

However, I threw a second party there and ran into some trouble. I think a family with young children, next to our room, kept complaining about noise. The hotel manager was pretty nice about it. After about three noise complaints we moved the party onto the beach.

I've also thrown parties in those townhouse style hotels I mentioned. You can throw a party at these places pretty easily, but the atmosphere isn't as nice. My friends and I were fined $200 for "breach of contract" for a particularly rowdy party we threw. They wanted to fine us more, I don't remember if anything was broken, the rooms were pretty destroyed, but we talked them down. The same night we threw that party, there was a black swinger sex party going on above us.

My friends and I have now moved on to throwing parties at rental properties. Like I said, this requires a large safety deposit and a lot more organization. Most of the rental property owners are bitches, and rightfully so. We're renting a beach house for a week near Newport Beach. PM to RVSP!