COS by H&M (COLLECTION OF STYLE)

sXXXe

COS is the new fashion concept that’s set to land in London’s shopping heartland, with a sleek William Russell designed Regent Street flagship, due to open its pristine doors on 16 March. COS is the progeny of H&M that merges high fashion attributes (meticulous fabrics finish and fit) with ground level pricing; creating inspirational design that’s financially accessible.

COS splices its design flair with attainable prices for both men and women. These are immaculately produced wardrobe perennials: incorporating clean-cut accessible design with just a wink of character; a subtle design twist that lends each garment a modernist edge. Be that a chic black sack dress with a bold contrast metal zipper running down the back. Or for men: a butter soft fudge leather bomber jacket with Western stitch detail.

Previously, it was nigh on impossible to track down an understatedly cool cocktail dress without paying top fashion-house dollar. And men were in the same Riva-priced boat when it came to glove-like modern-edge tailoring. COS offers just such dapper attire, minus the telephone figures price tag.

'It is fashionable essentials, reinvented classics and the latest trends,' says Rebekka Bay COS’s womenswear designer.

'The focus is quality in terms of the fabrics, fit and finish. It’s ready-to-wear level design at high street prices. Plus, there are lots of fundamental pieces, like the perfect fitting piqué polo shirt; crisp shirting; classic T-shirts and cashmere V-necks,' adds Michael Kristensen, COS’s menswear designer.

Equally essential kit for women involves: easy-to-wear cotton poplin vest dresses; slouchy chinos; perfect-fit skinny black trousers and 50s-style edge-to-edge coats.

Fashion alert males will zero in on slim-fit cardigans; Forrest Gump-style short-sleeve shirts and keenly cut city shorts. And fashion maidens will swoop on swingy pleat smock dresses; dinner shirts re-worked as crisp blousons and sun-faded 50s ceramics print shift dresses.

COS’s sophisticatedly subtle colour palette of crisp white, soft putty grey, rich tobacco brown, sharp black, graceful navy and warm khaki, is intermittently pierced with colour bursts of bright red and bold electric blue.

Ultimate race-you-to-the-rack appeal emanates from COS accessories. Be that a minimalist-lush nylon city bag, natty brogues, or an exquisitely crafted large black leather baguette finished in luxe bridle-like detailing.

From elegant tuxedo suits and knife-sharp city tailoring to soft cashmere knits; COS is fashion nirvana for the non-showy, design alert shopper.

COS’s London launch will be followed by a roll-out tour of COS store openings in Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands at the end of March.

Price examples women:

Dresses: From €49.00 to €79.00

Shirts: From €29.00 to €39.00

Blazers: From €79.00 to €125.00

Trousers: From €49.00 to €79.00

Skirts: From €49.00 to €69.00

Jeans: €69.00

Party dresses: From €79.00 to €125.00

Outerwear: From €79.00 to €225.00

Leather bags: From € 125.00 to €250.00

Price examples men:

Suits: From €250.00 to €350.00

Shirts: From €39.00 to €49.00

Trousers: From €59.00 to €69.00

Cashmere jumpers: €99.00

Jeans: €69.00

Party waist coat: €69.00

Outerwear: From €175.00 to €190.00

Shoes: €99.00

cat15_normal.jpg

cat10_normal.jpg

cat6_normal.jpg

cat9_normal.jpg

it is an interesting move for the company, but i don't see COS succeeding in the long-term unless it is consistently spot on with its collections.

there's no such thing as the perfect fitting this or the ultimate that in fashion... trying to be everything to everyone all at once is a recipe for failure.

• 3 years later...

This sounds interesting. I just found out about it too and I wonder if it's gonna make its way to Asia. Will be fun to see how it pans out on this side of the world.

I think people approach these types of brands differently. Don't think they need to be consistent with collections. As long as it's hitting that sweet spot with slightly head-turning ideas, they should be fine. Look at Acne for instance. They don't seem to be doing anything too crazy but they seem to keep growing.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe I just felt like chiming in and wasn't so sure about what to say but I'm interested to see how people take to this.