Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

I just got a bunch of samples yesterday.

CdG 8 88 - I smelled the candle of this in Nom de Guerre a few weeks ago, and thought it smelled great. But I'll have to agree with Polish Mike in that it is too feminine for a man. I wouldn't mind smelling it on a girl.

Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia - Got this cause I wanted a fragrance that had gasoline notes, but this sucks. Smells like something some aging European greaseball would wear.

CB I Hate Perfume - Musk, Patchoulli, Under the Arbor, Wild Hunt, Memory of Kindness - I don't know why I bought these cause they suck! I wouldn't even put these on my skin, let alone buy an entire bottle. Smelling these is enough to turn me off from CB for good.

I just got a bunch of samples yesterday.

CdG 8 88 - I smelled the candle of this in Nom de Guerre a few weeks ago, and thought it smelled great. But I'll have to agree with Polish Mike in that it is too feminine for a man. I wouldn't mind smelling it on a girl.

Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia - Got this cause I wanted a fragrance that had gasoline notes, but this sucks. Smells like something some aging European greaseball would wear.

CB I Hate Perfume - Musk, Patchoulli, Under the Arbor, Wild Hunt, Memory of Kindness - I don't know why I bought these cause they suck! I wouldn't even put these on my skin, let alone buy an entire bottle. Smelling these is enough to turn me off from CB for good.

You seem cranky? ;)

Well, you tried! Its good to smell things even if you don't like them...at least you know when you find something you do like!

I've yet to smell 888. Nostalgia is interesting, but makes a fast trasition from cruel to overly-friendly.

That's too bad about I Hate Perfume though...but I guess he has a style, and if one doesn't rock your boat, then the rest won't.

What's next then? I hope you're not getting discouraged!

Yeah, I guess I'm just bummed I got all these samples and none of them are wearable.

I'm going to stick to CdG stuff. There are so many CdG fragrances that it's hard to go wrong.

I've got Kyoto now, will get 2 soon, and then I'm going to try more of the Incense and Red series. I was thinking of getting the 8 88 candle, but $90 for a 50 hour burn, I think I'll pass.

Yeah, I guess I'm just bummed I got all these samples and none of them are wearable.

I'm going to stick to CdG stuff. There are so many CdG fragrances that it's hard to go wrong.

I've got Kyoto now, will get 2 soon, and then I'm going to try more of the Incense and Red series.

I know how you feel...its funny though, after your collection starts growing, its almost a relief when you don't like something, because then it saves you from buying it.

If you're going to stick with CDG for now, my fav's from each series are:

-Calamus (Green...was once Mint, but that's gone now)

-Sequoia (Red)

-Avignon or Ourzazate (Incense)

-Vettiveru (Cologne)

-Rhubarb (Sherbet)

-Skai (Synthetic)

-Guerilla 2 (Guerilla)

I also like 3 quite a bit, but its a tricky one.

If you don't like any of those...then you just suck. :eek:

I know how you feel...its funny though, after your collection starts growing, its almost a relief when you don't like something, because then it saves you from buying it.

If you're going to stick with CDG for now, my fav's from each series are:

-Calamus (Green...was once Mint, but that's gone now)

-Sequoia (Red)

-Avignon or Ourzazate (Incense)

-Vettiveru (Cologne)

-Rhubarb (Sherbet)

-Skai (Synthetic)

-Guerilla 2 (Guerilla)

I also like 3 quite a bit, but its a tricky one.

If you don't like any of those...then you just suck. :eek:

-I didn't really like Calamus. It was OK, but not something I would buy a whole bottle of.

-I liked Sequoia, but it seems a bit much for this time of year, no?

-I want to try Avignon as well as the rest of the Incense line

-Didn't like Vettiveru. Seemed like something an old lady would wear.

-I tried Guerrila 2 and like it, but it's a bit pricey

Damn, I haven't heard of any of this stuff the past few pages... I've been using the same shit since 2002.

HIGHER_DIOR_M.jpg

Its time to move on...lemme know if you want suggestions.

-I didn't really like Calamus. It was OK, but not something I would buy a whole bottle of.

We've established that you want something light(er), you may not like Vetiver (occupies most of men's cologne), and you tend to like things that are a bit more floral & fruity (nothing wrong with that btw) like 2 and Guerilla 2....but you also like resinous stuff like Kyoto.

Given all that, I think Eau d'Italie's Paestum Rose, which has both a floral note and an incense note would be good for when you want something distinctive. I think CDG's Rhubarb would be a nice summer scent when you want to wear something light, and CDG's Lily for something a bit more sophisticated, but cool & watery.

How's that sound?

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to give Eau d'Italie's Paestum Rose a try. I shyed away from the sherbet series, but Rhubarb actually seems pretty interesting. I got a sample of Lily along with the Calamus. I liked it, but I also want to try Tea.

I can't help but smell my wrist when I'm wearing 2. I love the smell of this Sumi ink.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to give Eau d'Italie's Paestum Rose a try. I shyed away from the sherbet series, but Rhubarb actually seems pretty interesting. I got a sample of Lily along with the Calamus. I liked it, but I also want to try Tea.

I can't help but smell my wrist when I'm wearing 2. I love the smell of this Sumi ink.

I hope you like the Paestum Rose...its really a great scent. Very unusual.

Tea, on the other hand, is heinous. It actually made me feel ill when I smelled it. I think it triggered a bad association for me, but I'm not sure what.

After the disaster of having my last blog deleted (so annoying), I decided to re-start one focusing only on reviews - usually for guy's cologne. Link here if you're interested. Pardon the bad grammar, etc. I intended it to be private, but apparently its getting 40-hits a day (why is that?), so I figured I may as well share it. Lots of it will be repeatitive of stuff I've already mentioned here.

Ah, boredom. :rolleyes:

I got a sample of Lily along with the Calamus. I liked it, but I also want to try Tea.

personally i didnt like Tea at all either. i usually love tea scents so this was disappointing. i do like the lush green scent of Calamus, but its not my kind of scent. smells really great on my gf though, but even she probably wouldnt buy a whole bottle of it.

for the Incense line, i think Oazazarate is an awesome scent and i'd recommend you sample it. i dunno if its just me but the scent is really light on my skin but unfortunately it doesnt last very long for me, bummer

i really didnt like CDG 888 at all, even on a girl it wasnt appealing.

i've been using 2 Man for almost a year, still my favorite. i thought about finding something lighter for spring/summer but haven't found it yet. i wish Oazazarate had more lasting power on my skin, but i'm also growing quite fond of Kyoto.

I think I'm going to pick up some CDG 2 or CDG Man, anyone need to talk me out of it?

you should definately sample them first. like GG said, theyre good but not for everyone, dont buy blind.

i've been using 2Man for a while, at first i was pretty surprised by the scent and wasnt used to it, but like an acquired taste i learned to love it after a couple wears. the only thing is its almost summertime, and this scent is a little warm for summer use. i think its great for fall/winter.

i have a sample of CDG 2, its lighter than 2Man, but everytime i wear it i get a headache.

if i were you i'd definately get a bunch of samples before deciding to buy a bottle.

just picked up the CdG 8 88. smell's like god's sweat.

is that a good or bad thing? i dont like 888 at all

fallen i completely agree with you about 2 and 2man, it has been getting a bit too warm for 2man, im slowly transistioning into just 2 but sometimes im not feeling it. im considering getting odeur 53 since its so light. 8 88 is just bland im sorry not worth it.

What kind of deodorant does everyone use? I've used old spice for years now, I heard Mitchum is really good. So good you can go a day without re-applying.

if youre going to be applying fragrance everyday, i suggest you use an unscented deodorant. i use ban unscented roll-on. the only criterion for me is that it shouldn't stain my clothes and this one seems to fit the bill.

I have both CdG 2 and 2Man. Both are quite different. CdG2 is far too powdery and floral and dare I say a bit "feminine" (and please, let's not get into some epistemological argument of gender due to my ineptness of explicating my dislike for it). If you're a guy considering purchasing you most definitely should purchase a sample because it can be a hard sell. It'd probably smell best applied on women, let's be honest.

Initially, I found CdG 2Man to be particularly average after reading all the acclaim it's received on this thread. I ordered some samples a few months ago and I opened it and it was just - "That's it?" That being said, however, it really just grows on you and it is a fantastic scent that changes very nicely when you wear it. Much more "masculine" or woodsy, then CdG2.

Also on an unrelated note to the comment on deodorant. If you are looking for something that does not stain your shirts you need to make sure you are buying just deodorant that does not include antiperspirant. Sweat it out, boys. Don't put any more chemicals in you than you have to.

Initially, I found CdG 2Man to be particularly average after reading all the acclaim it's received on this thread. I ordered some samples a few months ago and I opened it and it was just - "That's it?" That being said, however, it really just grows on you and it is a fantastic scent that changes very nicely when you wear it. Much more "masculine" or woodsy, then CdG2.

absolutely right, cdg 2man truly gets better as the day goes on.