New Media

Carl

Some say it the end of newspapers and still photography as we know it. Some say its just a blip onto something more grand.

Whatever it is...I dipped my toes into it the past few days.

Here is the result:

http://www.wku.edu/~carl.kiilsgaard/street_scene/

Still photography was suppose to die along time ago. Along with it B&W photography. Great stuff Carl. I've always been a fan of mixed media. It can be very powerful if done right.

Shit keeps saying "buffering". Plus, explain to me what this in particular has to do with the death of newspaper and print journalism.

print will eventually dwindle due to lowered costs and accesibility of new media from creation to distribution. things will move even more toward a 'right now' mentality, delivering news and entertainment on your terms, not when broadcasting decides to show it.

carl's working with some of this new media to show his work. instead of running 4-6 images on a news spread or page, you can run much more, produce it on-demand and make it interactive for free (aside initial technology costs).

i just read the last magazine and it had some interesting insight to the death of print talking about what will survive and why. as a visual journalist and deisgner, i think its important to embrace all the new technology thats going around. you can do some amazing stuff with it. i've been working on a few podcasts and other online projects to see what they can offer my ideas.

this was pretty interesting i LOVED that shot of the conductor..the transitions wouldn't have excited me if not for the background voices, which i think were much stronger

the best part was the accents lol

i would have to disagree with u airfrog...to say that still photos and b&w photography should've disappeared would be to also say that people shouldn't draw/paint on paper/canvas anymore because now it can be done on the computer

mlp i was wondering what did that magazine think would stay?

You missed my point bro. They said B&W was dead when color came around stills would die when motion came around. Its still very much alive and well and will be. In fact I've seen a big movement back to old processes like photographers coating their own platinum papers and shooting large format. I just think some of the new technology is just another tool to express yourself. Now comes the hard part having a message to express.

mlp i was wondering what did that magazine think would stay?

its actually a book: http://www.amazon.com/Last-Magazine-David-Renard/dp/0789314975 ... the whole death of print has been beat to death, but this was an interesting look into it saying what will survive.

it was basically saying that very niche magazines will hold on, especially the types that don't rely heavily on advertising and are more project oriented (ie extend outside the magazine's pages). the second half highlights a lot of these types of magazines with stuff like GUM, BEople, Made, McSweeny's, Found, Arkitip, Bidoun, etc.

print will eventually dwindle due to lowered costs and accesibility of new media from creation to distribution. things will move even more toward a 'right now' mentality, delivering news and entertainment on your terms, not when broadcasting decides to show it.

carl's working with some of this new media to show his work. instead of running 4-6 images on a news spread or page, you can run much more, produce it on-demand and make it interactive for free (aside initial technology costs).

i just read the last magazine and it had some interesting insight to the death of print talking about what will survive and why. as a visual journalist and deisgner, i think its important to embrace all the new technology thats going around. you can do some amazing stuff with it. i've been working on a few podcasts and other online projects to see what they can offer my ideas.

Sounds like a book worth checking out.

It is definately important to embrace new technology, especially as a designer, but I'm just one of those people who loves the tactility of print journalism and art work. It will be interesting to see how we all adapt professionally and personally in the years to come.

don't get me wrong, i'm totally a print addict and appreciate what the tactility of certain papers, inks and processes can contribute to a project. thats why i think some magazines will hang on, combining stuff like that with very dialed in content.

i see magazines having as much if not more presence in new media as they do in their printed pages. a lot of magazines are getting bought by media firms with footholds in television and on the internet, so i think we'll start to see some magazine brands extend to television and more robust content on the web.

"On March 26, 2007, Time Inc. announced that it would fold Life magazine as of April 20, 2007, although it would keep the Web site."

Even though its been a ghost of its former self for a while now, that still saddens me.

Big changes are coming...

Some say it the end of newspapers and still photography as we know it. Some say its just a blip onto something more grand.

Whatever it is...I dipped my toes into it the past few days.

Here is the result:

http://www.wku.edu/~carl.kiilsgaard/street_scene/

This is interesting, I like it.