Should I soak my LVC47s? Need Help

imashyboi415

I'm trying to find some insightful info about soaking my LVC 1947s. Ever since I bought the denim from the Levis store in SF I haven't washed or soaked it yet. I wear it daily whenever I go out but I don't do anything hardcore with it, I use it mainly for walking. From my limited research in this forum lots of denim heads suggest soaking denims so certain chemicals and materials can be washed off. Currently, the fit of the denim is perfect. What I'm scared of is that the size might shrink to a size which won't be to my liking and I'll be forced to sell it here. I do know that the denim will eventually stretch back but is it really worth it? Help me out.

The size I bought is 34x32. I like the waist to sit exactly where my boxers are placed or about 2-1.5 inches below my belly button. I like showing my hip bones if that helps lol.

If the length is perfect, then keep wearing them. You can go several months, then a cold water soak inside out for about 60-90 minutes, then hang dry. I've done that with several new LVCs and the shrinkage is negligible, hardly noticeable. It takes about 10 soaks over time to get to the shrinkage that would size it down.

If the length is perfect, then keep wearing them. You can go several months, then a cold water soak inside out for about 60-90 minutes, then hang dry. I've done that with several new LVCs and the shrinkage is negligible, hardly noticeable. It takes about 10 soaks over time to get to the shrinkage that would size it down.

Hey, thanks for replying. The length is definitely perfect. Since the hem opening is around 8.5inches it doesn't scrape the floor when I'm wearing my sneakers(thank god!). Will soaking take away the shine even if I soak it inside out? I'm guessing it will but I just want to double check. Now, once it's been soaked with cold water can I start washing it on a weekly basis or is this still a no no? I'm trying to get that good fade on this so I can get a new raw and work on that.

Hey, thanks for replying. The length is definitely perfect. Since the hem opening is around 8.5inches it doesn't scrape the floor when I'm wearing my sneakers(thank god!). Will soaking take away the shine even if I soak it inside out? I'm guessing it will but I just want to double check. Now, once it's been soaked with cold water can I start washing it on a weekly basis or is this still a no no? I'm trying to get that good fade on this so I can get a new raw and work on that.

These were raw, right? There is no need to soak if you're happy with the size - some people like the sheen of new denim.

The only conceivable problem is that they will shrink if you wash them, to a greater or lesser extent, mostly in the length. You can minimise this by cold washing only, but you will still get around two inches of shrinkage in length from the raw state.

I normally wear my jeans from the time of purchase without soaking or washing it too!

Do not really like washing my jeans unless its gone clubbin the night before.

Jeans will normally stretch back to your size immediately when you wear it the first time after each wash.

These were raw, right? There is no need to soak if you're happy with the size - some people like the sheen of new denim.

The only conceivable problem is that they will shrink if you wash them, to a greater or lesser extent, mostly in the length. You can minimize this by cold washing only, but you will still get around two inches of shrinkage in length from the raw state.

Yes, its raw denim. Wouldn't the waist size get smaller as well if I soak it? I presume certain denims shrink their own certain ways. I bought a 34 waist but I'm normally a 33 which means I have some room. The length I'm slightly worried if it's going to shrink 2inches. Is 2inches the confirmed shrinkage number on the length when soaking the LVCs in cold water?

I normally wear my jeans from the time of purchase without soaking or washing it too!

Do not really like washing my jeans unless its gone clubbin the night before.

Jeans will normally stretch back to your size immediately when you wear it the first time after each wash.

Yup, same here. I don't get why some people prefer soaking them prior to wearing them though. I'm real anal about how my jeans fits which is why when I get the correct size I hate washing them.

Yes, its raw denim. Wouldn't the waist size get smaller as well if I soak it? I presume certain denims shrink their own certain ways. I bought a 34 waist but I'm normally a 33 which means I have some room. The length I'm slightly worried if it's going to shrink 2inches. Is 2inches the confirmed shrinkage number on the length when soaking the LVCs in cold water?

They could shrink as much as 3 inches in length maybe more by the time its all said and done. The waist on LVCs doesn't stretch back 100% either. I recommend a cold soak only and air dry but if the length is perfect now you could be in trouble. Maybe dry clean?

They could shrink as much as 3 inches in length maybe more by the time its all said and done. The waist on LVCs doesn't stretch back 100% either. I recommend a cold soak only and air dry but if the length is perfect now you could be in trouble. Maybe dry clean?

I can't really say that it's a perfect length but it looks good being a 32. I'm sure a 30 length will still fit me. The waist I can live with since it's slightly big on me at the moment. Would dry clean give the same fade as the ones I've seen in the SF gallery? I'm trying to obtain those types of fades but I know I have to keep wearing this till more indigo fades away.

Just wash em cold, six months in, and they will look great. You could dry clean thereafter, or cold wash, to minimise future shrinkage. Next time you buy a pair, size up by one inch in the waist, and two in the leg.

501front1947.jpg

very well done.

if that's the kind of wear you get by writing books, we're all doing something wrong.