what are you eating today?

soepom

I tinkered with this recipe a few times during the hurricane, given what I could round up at Fairway and had laying around the apartment. I didn't have sliced pickles (used cornichons for the spread), lettuce or tomato, and had to sub potato rolls for regular white and regular ground sirloin instead of playing butcher. Still, it came out quite tasty. The mustard elevates it all so nicely.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/07/the-burger-lab-how-to-make-an-in-n-out-double-double-animal-style.html

Ai Fiori for lunch. The pasta was probably my favorite pasta dish I've ever had. Sorry for the crap phone pictures.

2ekq3gw.jpg

blue crab, charred watermelon, prosciutto, cicely (those leaves are not cicely, but it was listed on the menu and the anisey flavor as there...not sure where exactly. maybe the oil?)

2qjbvrl.jpg

squid ink trofie, crustacean ragout, scallop, cuttlefish, spicy bread crumbs

Several years ago, while I was on vacation with a friend of mine and his family, his father cooked salmon with some sort of coffee-based rub on it.

For some reason I started thinking about it, and wanted to try to make something similar. I have no idea what my friend's father used to make the rub, but I found a recipe online and thought I'd run with it.

I didn't have any brown sugar, so I used a pinch of raw sugar instead. Next time, I'd probably leave this out. I also added about 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper to give it a kick. Once again, this is not my recipe.

DSC_0279.jpg

I also needed a beer while all of this was going on --- Sierra Nevada Tumbler

DSC_0281.jpg

Before applying the rub, I lightly brushed the salmon with extra virgin olive oil

DSC_0280.jpg

Here's the finished product, along with some steamed veggies and a nice Sierra Nevada Stout. I was worried the beer would be too strong and overpower the fish. However, it greatly complimented the coffee and roasted flavors of the rub.

DSC_0283.jpg

DSC_0282.jpg

Overall, I thought it went fairly well. It was definitely something different, and the salmon was perfectly cooked. It just wasn't as good as what my friend's dad made. I guess I'm gonna have to contact him and probably keep tinkering with the recipe.