Ramen or Soba

startmeup

Ramen or Soba  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Ramen or Soba

• Ramen
    • Soba

when i think of ramen, i think of the microwave.

soba in okinawa is awesome.

therefore, i vote for soba.

hey red, the "soba" you are eating is not japanese soba, it's "okinawa soba" which is more like a mix between ramen and udon--but definitely it's own unique noodle-form.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawa_soba

i agree, it's awesome and it's almost impossible to find in the united states.

cats ain't up on THIS shit!!!!

hey red, the "soba" you are eating is not japanese soba, it's "okinawa soba" which is more like a mix between ramen and udon--but definitely it's own unique noodle-form.

ya, i came across that. thats why this entire thread was a bit confusing at first, couldnt tell which was which.

okinawan soba ftw!!!

hells yeah, okinawa soba is AWESOME.

make sure you put a couple drops of kōrēgūsu (spicey chilli peppers soaked in awamori).

red, i'm glad you're into okinawa soba, man. you're going to miss it if you ever get back to the states.

btw, have you been drinking any awamori? that shit is gooood. everytime i go to okinawa, i bring back bottles for my boys. in the south bronx, cats are drinking that shit now.

make sure you put a couple drops of kōrēgūsu (spicey chilli peppers soaked in awamori).

red, i'm glad you're into okinawa soba, man. you're going to miss it if you ever get back to the states.

btw, have you been drinking any awamori? that shit is gooood. everytime i go to okinawa, i bring back bottles for my boys. in the south bronx, cats are drinking that shit now.

will do on the kōrēgūsu. never heard/seen it before.

awomari is way good. that and sake is all i ever really drink to tell you the truth. on a military channel, they show this documentary on awamori every once in a while, showing how its made, and why they stick goya, snakes, and what have you into that shit. very interesting. i love learning about japanese culture.

chicken, do you know you can take some cheap awamori and just let it sit for a while to make it taste better? over time, it mellows out and the brings out the nuances...

it was good drinking awamori with you at "what's up?". i wish they had a bar and a bar master like that in NYC. :(

on the documentary, it showed how awamori is kept in multiple clay containers. if you took some awamori out of the first container, you placed awamori from the second container into the first, and from the third into the second, and so on and so forth.

will do on the kōrēgūsu. never heard/seen it before.

awomari is way good. that and sake is all i ever really drink to tell you the truth. on a military channel, they show this documentary on awamori every once in a while, showing how its made, and why they stick goya, snakes, and what have you into that shit. very interesting. i love learning about japanese culture.

the kōrēgūsu is in the little bottle next to the sweet syrup.

okinawa is great because it's so different from mainland japan. it's like a different world. the language, people, culture, music, attitudes, food--everything is very different. another thing that's different is the influence of the u.s. military. a lot of the american food you see in okinawa is not really popular on the mainland. it's great for me everytime i go to okinawa because there's much less culture shock. i do love tokyo too though!

no, no, no.... awamori doesn't have any animals in it. they do that, really for the tourists and the military.

awamori is made out of thai rice, so it has a different taste and smell than other rice liquors. it also has a high alcohol content (about 60 proof). it's usually drunk with ice and sometimes with a slice of lemon.

here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awamori

chicken, do you know you can take some cheap awamori and just let it sit for a while to make it taste better? over time, it mellows out and the brings out the nuances...

it was good drinking awamori with you at "what's up?". i wish they had a bar and a bar master like that in NYC. :(

i guess it makes sense that you can do it with any awamori.

i think there's at least one okinawa ryouri place in nyc. we should check it out sometime -- see if they have any good awamori and okinawa soba and stuff.

mimigaa!

on the documentary, it showed how awamori is kept in multiple clay containers. if you took some awamori out of the first container, you placed awamori from the second container into the first, and from the third into the second, and so on and so forth.

exactly. maybe we can try this with cheap awamori, too.

by the way, i like my soba with tororo, just to try to bring this thread back.

yes! they often use sesame oil to fry and i think that's one of the secrets.

and holla, a really good katsudon uses lard instead of oil for frying. mmmmmmmm. :)

when i was studying in tokyo, the cafeteria at my school had karage ramen, it was really fucking good.

i'm all for ramen, always thought soba was kinda bland...

Guest jmatsu

i agree that okinawa soba is good, but i don't think i could eat it everyday. i could eat ramen everyday because of the variety. does okinawa soba have more than one soup flavor? i love it when they top that shit with rafute!

tried that koregusu stuff at a soba shop today. funny thing, i always assumed it was vinegar, and thinking that vinegar wouldnt taste so good in soba, i never tried it. shits way good.

and i found out one of the miss okinawas eats at the soba shop. so hot.