Hemming in Toronto

outty

• 2 weeks later...
Has anybody taken their denim here? What could I expect to pay for some alterations? Slimming the legs, hemming, etc.

i just want to make an endorsement for sydney's.

i brought my rockers and 1980s to get hemmed and he did an amazing job. both service and workmanship was amazing. you could really tell that sydney has a passion for his craft.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thread resurrection.

I found this thread while searching for a place in Toronto to have chainstitching done. I went to Sydney's, the place which a few people in this thread had mentioned.

I dropped my jeans off, and had to pay in advance. He charges $30 for a chainstitch. Three and a half weeks later he still had not completed the work. I played telephone tag with this guy for the better part of two and a half weeks - I was promised that the work would take no longer than 7 days. Near the end of the third week, he told me over the phone that the work was finished; I went to his shop in person and once I was there he informed me that he hadn't actually finished the job yet. He promised me that he would have the job done in a day or two. What kind of business does this man run? He lied about the work's completion?

Supposedly the delay was due to difficulty in obtaining a color-matched thread. Four days after this promise, I returned to his shop. Surprise, the work still wasn't finished when I got there. This time, he had a member of his staff run off to get the thread we needed, she returned in ten minutes with the correct thread.

Bigger surprise yet, he then proceeded to disappear into the basement, where he chainstitched the hems while I waited. Got to give this guy some credit, he had at least taken out the old hem ahead of time, which I'm sure was a grueling task. Ten minutes later, he returns with the jeans. About twenty minutes to get the thread, and chainstitch my jeans........... makes me wonder why I paid in advance and waited almost a full month, during which time I obviously couldn't wear my new jeans.

What's the real kick in the nuts?

He screwed up the chainstitch. That's right. He left a half inch-long gap in the left hem which quickly unraveled into a two inch gap. I ended up fixing it myself to hold the rest of the chainstitch in place. Filled the gap using my sewing machine.

Further, there were a total of five other spots where the machine had skipped stitches, which required repair to secure the chainstitch and keep it in place, and the hem from unraveling.

Long story short; if you find this thread while looking for a place to get chainstitching done in Toronto, don't go to Sydney's. He wasted almost a month of my time, lied to me, made false promises, and then completely fucked up a very simple job.

And this guy makes custom-order jeans? Right.

Wow, that sucks to hear. Back on December 12, I brought in a pair of jeans to get tapered and Sydney wasn't there (just went out), and his sales associates were there to assist me. While they just looked up some chart for the pricing, they told me $25 for the taper job.

Two hours later, they call me up (Sydney was back) and the sales guy told me he forgot to mention that they'll need to sew back the hem, and whether I want chain stitching for $15 extra, so I agreed for the chain stitch. The alteration was said to be done in a weeks time, so I waited over a week and waited for their call. Instead, I ended up calling them to check up because it was over a week (Dec 22), and their reply was that "Yea they're done, they've been done for a while." So I head over to the store the next day and I ask to pick up the jeans, and then Sydney went to the basement and brought them up, then realizes that he hasn't even started, and he apologizes and says he'll try to get it done by Saturday (Dec 27). So I waited again and I didn't receive any calls, and I ended up calling them to check up on them again (Dec 29) and was told they were not ready yet and will be done by Saturday (Jan 3). So I waited for Saturday, and didn't bother calling and just went in to check up and finally they were done. What was weird was that he had not mentioned the extra $15 charge, so I just checked the hem later on and found out they were not chain stitched.

The taper job was great though, but I was just disappointed that the hem wasn't chainstitched, although maybe I could feel glad now that you mentioned he screwed up with your chain stitch.

Your taper looks to be quite well done at least. From what you've said though, it sounds like I'm not the only person who has had a bit of a run-around from that place. Maybe he was just rushed when he messed up my hems, but I still wouldn't go back there for any reason.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but Dutil Toronto is now doing chain stitched hems. As far as I know they're the only ones in the city now.

It's $28 + tax and the woman pics up/drops off at Dutil every Tuesday. So it's a week+ turn around. I've just dropped off my N&FxMomotaros and can post picks when I get them back later this month.

Supposedly she'll also do repairs and I've asked to have all that extra denim sent back with my jeans.

Edited by zwer

• 2 weeks later...