Monocle magazine

Gabriel

I am a die hard reader. I get my issues send over from england by a friend because they come out a month late in Canada. I listen to their radio podcast on my way to work every monday. Some their stuff is dated by the time I read it but that is the nature of the print medium. I was a little dissappointed with their Blackberry collaboration but they can't be perfect all the time.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be honest the magazine bores me at times.. I don't know if its the writing or what, but it has lost its initial appeal. I still buy most issues, but find myself reading them through much quicker then before.

I'm also a bit fed up with all their collaborations and products, the same damn catalog in every issue. yes, you made some boring bags and waterproof khakis, we get it.

i dont know why ontario is so far behind but in vancouver i was getting them very shortly after they were released in UK.

There are a few places in Vancouver that have sent from people in the UK. I know Roden Gray gets them in quickly and I got my last issue from Inventory Magazine when I ordered their new magazine. It would be nice if we got it in time. If there was enough interest here I might be able to get a friend in London to send them but it is a little annoying really that their supplier can them in on time.

Anybody interested in buying every issue of Monocle (up to 30 now) that's been released?

I got a subscription over Christmas so I've only read two issues, but I enjoy it basically because there's short interesting articles that are perfect for me to read in between classes. I definitely don't give a shit about Uruguay (to use the same example) it's just an entertaining distraction.

Like that blurb about the one dude who slept with that guy who fought in Moscow in 1880 who had also slept with some military dude who remembered Napoleons invasion. Real or not, that is the kind of shit I want to hear about before I start class.

I still buy it every month, but I actually do care enough about global affairs to actually read 90% of the articles. It's just my personality though, I am a total know-it-all asshole and Monocle feeds that for me in one neat package, as opposed to slogging through a ton of even drier websites.

Given up on the magazine Kiya?

No not at all, i've read almost every page of every issue and they're just taking up room now. I stopped saving magazines a couple of years ago because they can build up really quickly, but Monocle is a hard one to throw away.

No not at all, i've read almost every page of every issue and they're just taking up room now. I stopped saving magazines a couple of years ago because they can build up really quickly, but Monocle is a hard one to throw away.

It is one of the few that I actually keep. I find myself going back to it every now and then so I won't get rid of them.

Exactly my thoughts.

For all its "international-ness" it's very English, in its positioning, target, culture, humour, etc. Also very oriented towards boys in their 30s. Sometimes I suspect the articles aren't even meant to be read, like lorem ipsum.

I bought it every month for the first year but somehow got bored and stopped...

I often wonder the same thing, myself I'm a 20something new media/creative professional type and while I enjoy a lot of the content of the magazine I often wonder who they are trying to kid with some of the features they run. Certainly the tone of some of the articles borders on arrogant, assuming you have limitless wealth to snap up property on a whim and jet set around the world etc etc. The ad content too strikes me as a little over the top given my understanding of the target readership, how may young creative professionals (dj raijio excl) can afford even half of the luxury brands that advertise?

Of course this is all based on the assumption that the readership of the magazine is indeed young creative professionals, I've certainly never seen anyone else with a copy, but that doesn't mean that there arent other reader groups.

I still very much enjoy the magazine though despite its shortcomings.