Source for Furniture

palaceman

Where may some of you like to go for your furniture shopping? I like to look, feel, touch but am not totally opposed to going over the Internet for furniture. Physical locations or web sites are good; particularly any where near Chicago. Need some tables and cool lighting. Thank you.

eq3 is about the same price as ikea and way nicer

isn't westelm also in the states? pretty sweet

there's some chicago store called cb2, stuff looks really nice.

west elm is probably my fave though i have to say i'm not too happy in that they've discounted some of the more unique items that i've picked up from them over the years. decent stuff at a mid-level price.

ikea is cheap but it holds up to the saying of "you get what you pay for". i have picked up a number of things from there though.

lots of other options for furniture, but once you move away from the big box names stuff gets expensive quick. try and find a local store that buys designer knock offs from no-name brands.

eq3 is about the same price as ikea and way nicer

isn't westelm also in the states? pretty sweet

there's some chicago store called cb2, stuff looks really nice.

Nice. Driving there in a bit (cb2). Didn't see what I'm looking for in lighting but saw a few tables and chairs that are good.

Yeah...that Fight Club comment. I think of that scene every time someone mentions Ikea. heh.

I second West Elm...although there shit is pretty damn expensive. my room is pretty much made up of west elm, good quality furniture.

really? I've heard (mainly from my mom, whose opinion I trust on furniture-matters) that the quality is not worth the cost. I like how it looks though.

Are you totally opposed to heading up to Wisconsin for furniture? There are a few places up up there that have high quality, US made furniture that just can't be beat for the price, and most of them deliver. The real questions are: What kind of a budget are you on and what kind of space are you trying to fill?

I suppose if you spend all your money on clothes like some other Superfuturists, I can imagine the budget.

:)

Are you totally opposed to heading up to Wisconsin for furniture? There are a few places up up there that have high quality, US made furniture that just can't be beat for the price, and most of them deliver. The real questions are: What kind of a budget are you on and what kind of space are you trying to fill?

I suppose if you spend all your money on clothes like some other Superfuturists, I can imagine the budget.

:)

Under $1,000 but only because I only need like a few more things. Cool lamps that have red in em, and maybe are part of a built-in table might get me up to Wisconsin.

i guess ive lucked out, i live in greensboro NC (just outside high point, furniture capital of the world) and yea.....i can get furniture market samples for super cheap around here, there is a furniture store every other block. make a trip down this way and just drive around, honestly. furniture for days.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this, but I just saw something today that reminded me of your post:

http://www.daniafurniture.com/

I can't believe I forgot about these guys. Better than Ikea and mostly cheaper. CB2 has some housewares, but they're overpriced for what they are. The English have a saying that goes something like, "I'm not rich enough to buy cheap things."

Dania's stuff is mostly good. The couches seem to last for a while, so make sure you get one you like.

Also, I forgot to mention that they're in Chicago. :)

I dont like moving my furniture so I went with Ikea, one-time disposable furniture, not bad for the price... decent resale value on Craigslist... :) One of these days I'll cop some dope furniture, but I'm never really home much so I don't really care...

Ikea is definately the interior design source for the vapid suburban type but its a necessary evil when youre on a budget and you need big things like a bed, couch, etc. For lighting check out www.lightinguniverse.com their contemporary/modern sections look awesome. Dania is really nice for moderately priced stuff that won't get compared to a college dorm. And I've vowed to only buy from furniture boutiques ever since my bedroom was compared to an Ikea showroom last week by some attractive girls.

Kasala Is an amazing funiture place i own a couple pieces everything is unique a bit pricey but worth it im not sure if they have store where you live but theres is like two locations in seattle.

Man, it's funny that for a group of people who are so particular about design in one arena (clothing) collectively Superfuture can't come up with more sophisticated responses to this question. Ikea? West Elm? Home Depot? Threads like this throw into stark relief the fact that most of the people posting here live in dorm rooms.

haha I was thinking the same thing...but I didnt really discover the difference between good and bad interior design until just recently. Plus that shit is expensive...Ill start replacing my furniture after my wardrobe is done! Howbout this for a new topic section: SuperDesign!

Man, it's funny that for a group of people who are so particular about design in one arena (clothing) collectively Superfuture can't come up with more sophisticated responses to this question. Ikea? West Elm? Home Depot? Threads like this throw into stark relief the fact that most of the people posting here live in dorm rooms.

I resent this statement. Furniture is on a whole different level than clothing. The average white-collar college grad or a student with some spending money can occasionally buy a high-end piece of clothing (Dior Homme, Number (N)ine, whatever), but even the wealthier ones might not be able to afford a $1000 bar stool or some ultra-modern $3K table. I read Wallpaper and browse blogs, etc. and posess some knowledge of designer furniture, but at the end of the day I don't know shit about it because it really isn't in the scheme of an average shopping trip for me.........

There are VERY few furniture stores which can accomodate trendy designs at budget prices. That is why people can't answer here.

Here's another place you might like to keep tabs on:

http://chicago.apartmenttherapy.com/

They're the same target market group Superfuturists emulate. They write for employed young professionals, and run to the tastes of creative professionals. In addition to providing useful links, their solutions are in and around the city.

Good luck.