Kicking Mule Workshop

Le Dirte

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I'm a SuFu noob but a Japanese denim fan since 2002 (and a potential Kicking Mule fan!).

Can you help me resolve a sizing dilemma with the 1980 cut? I want to buy the 1980 in 'rinse wash' but I can't determine whether or not I need to size down by one.

I read every single post on this thread and I'm still a bit confused about what to do. It seems that most people on this thread say sizing down one is preferable.

However, just to be sure, I emailed KMW directly today. They responded very quickly (from their Blackberry! heh) and told me that I should buy true to size. So, I am a little confused!

I know there are quite a few 'should I size down/buy TTS?' questions on this thread but I'm stil unclear. I'd be really grateful to hear from the KMW 1980 veterans here!

Lastly, I'm 6' tall, 168lbs and wear 32" waist in most other jeans.

Thanks everyone.

p.s. A side question: I'm currently rocking a pair of Nudie Slim Jims (I sized down one on these, to 31"). The tightness of the ass/crotch on these pants drives me kind of nuts, but I like the slim leg silhouette. I'm hoping that the 1980's will give a similar slim leg silhouette but be more forgiving in the seat area. is this a reasonable hope?

I would buy your size in the rinse. It is a little smaller than the raw. It also does not stretch that much. Most people have purchased their size and I have not had any complaints. Of course this is all personal preference. I do not know how tight you want them. It is the best fitting jean ever......

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys, i just read most of the thread but still have an problem

i got a w27 mij rockers but i find it a lil loose as an overall fit

should i pre soak it? hoping that the thigh n calf would shrink? it is the raw unwashed ones btw

help me out? thanks!

yeah i wasn't expecting it to fit like a77 anyway but just hope it'll fit a lil slimmer :(

i got true to size. should have sized down one (26).

So pre-soaking these jeans wouldn't help in any way at all?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, well I just recieved my pair of KMW 1980 jeans last night in size 32x34. Basically they are way too tight for my liking. I did all the measurements and such but they are almost skin tight from the knees up. I am 6'3"ish and 175 lbs.

So I am wondering will these stretch to my liking? I have always been a fan of roomier jeans and thought that a straight leg jean wouldn't be too tight but i guessed wrong or got the wrong size.

Well if nobody thinks these will stretch much, I will be looking to sell/trade them for a roomier jean or $$.

Mine stretched ~2" in the waist (much to my chagrin) and a bit everywhere else but I don't know how much

Edit: just measured and it stretched about +3.25" in length and waist (went from a 30x32 to a 33.25x35.25) I think that may be abnormal though since I hadn't heard of these stretching a lot)

Check out the new 1980's I picked up:

1000349sv0.th.jpg

1000350rm3.th.jpg

1000351om4.th.jpg

I sized down one from what I usually wear (32->31) but 32 is kind of relaxed on me, so it might have been true to size. They were surprisingly easy to get on, and the fit on them is pretty much perfect right now, so I hope they don't stretch :(. I think they are awesome; aside from the whole "jean eating my asshole" look from the back :P

New to this thread. I came across my first ever pair of kicking mules (we're a bit under supplied with decent denim over here in the UK). Pair of raw 1980's. I'm hooked. A bit pricey for my budget- they go for £155 but what a stunning pair of jeans.

Gotta sell off some shit to pay for them but it'll be worth it!!

close to 1 year of wear. 1980s. i feel like ive stretched out the seat a bit too much from riding my bike. perhaps a slightly warmer soak?

kmw1bu2.th.jpg

kmw2lv9.th.jpg

i need another pair of jeans so help me pick out a pair that would suit me.

They look great. The back is a little sagged but it is not that bad

Bought a pair of the 1950 raw denim from Odin in New York a while back, not washed them for 6 months and are now mega, best jeans i've got . cant seem to work uploading images but found them online at Folk

back in Manchester now and cant get down to London for a while does anyone know anywhere else i can get them???

• 1 month later...
They're so soft, i'm afraid i wont get any decent fades.

Do not starch. Get in the shower wearing the jeans, turn on the water. Get jeans wet. Turn off water. Do a few squats.

I know it's a somewhat controversial issue but i was under the impression that starch is only activated once it's heated. Starch will only help set the creases as much as water would.

kmw.jpg

close to 1 year of wear. 1980s. i feel like ive stretched out the seat a bit too much from riding my bike. perhaps a slightly warmer soak?

kmw1bu2.th.jpg

kmw2lv9.th.jpg

i need another pair of jeans so help me pick out a pair that would suit me.

i had my rockers 1+ year and mine still doesnt look as good as that.

would +rep but i have given out too much damn it.

Do not starch. Get in the shower wearing the jeans, turn on the water. Get jeans wet. Turn off water. Do a few squats.

I know it's a somewhat controversial issue but i was under the impression that starch is only activated once it's heated. Starch will only help set the creases as much as water would.

kmw.jpg

i take it these (rockers?) got that treatment? They look great, but should i soak the jeans so early, wont this fuck something up?

Mine are Rockers, ya.

I don't remember if I did that with this pair or not. Usually when I buy new jeans, I will give them a hot soak and then put them on while still damp to help set the creases. Then I'll ride my bike for a while as they dry.

Seriously though they are just jeans. You wear them and they look nice. No science to it. You're not going to fuck them up.

was thinking of getting the rockers online, so the usual sizing dilemma.

For comparison, i own a sams 0500x at size 30 and its brilliant. It prob stretched to about 31.5/32.

Since the rise on these rockers are quite high, and i dont want them too snug, should i go for the 30 or the 31 (30 is apparently measured at 31, and 31 at 32)?