iPod as Home Stereo Recommendations?

palaceman

I just moved to Chicago. Leaving my home stereo equipment and CD collection back at my other house back home. I am using my computer (with woofer) as stereo in my office. Any suggestions on an accessory that my ipod can plug into to use as my home stereo in my living room? Saw tons at a Virgin Records store (when i wasn't looking yet) but wanted to get your folks input on something with speakers that is attractive, functional and sounds great when you jack-in your ipod. Thank you very much.

Okay. Thanks again very much. I will be looking into some of these recommendations with special attention to potential head phone features (as I am learning that you can't just let 'er rip with 24 floors of people on top of each other in a high-rise.) Lotta new stuff here in the big city to get used to; going smoother already with your folks' posts though!

you can connect it to any home audio reciever but there are certain recievers that actually have settings for ipods providing you have a little dock for it connected to the reciever. yamaha makes a lot of recievers that support this feature. unfortunately the best you will be able to get out of an ipod is 2 channel stereo because the stupid ipods don't have any means of getting digital audio out.

you COULD connect it to a hidefinition tv that also supports an ipod feature, such as samsung lcd's.. and then connect that through digital audio and maybe get 5 or 7 channel stereo, depending on your setup.

now if you had a macbook or mac mini, those have digital audio outputs :)

yeah this is a good thread. I was considering buying a hifi on ebay because it seemed like a practical piece of equipment. WHat would some audiophiles suggest for an ipod compatible stereo below 1000 bucks?

Well, to begin with iPOD (well, MP3 really) and audiophile don't go together in the same sentence. HI-FI is a piece of shit for the money, for sure.

To the OP, I'd just buy something inexpensive and stick it out - no reason to waste money on it. To others that insist on using an iPOD and have a receiver, I use this for friends who come over with their ipods. It's nothing to write home about, but it does the job and is very convinient - turns your iPOD into a remote control. It cost me $10 when buy.com had a google checkout promotion and a rebate.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Logitech_Wireless_Music_System_for_iPod/4505-6449_7-31481910.html

iTunes (apple lossless exclusively)-> AirTunes over ethernet -> Airport Express -> Optical out -> mini Toslink cable -> optical in at receiver. Works well.

Or if you have a newer PowerBook, MBP, or MP, they now have optical audio i/o ports.

Tivoli PAL. I have bought this, and 2 other friends have bought this after hearing mine in action. It's water resistant, runs for 15 hours or more off a battery, and has a radio.

I was impresse by the iPAL's quality as well. Plus I like the design. http://www.tivoliaudio.com/product.php?productid=161&cat=264&page=1

ipod hi-fi is not worth it. you might as well buy a larger surround sound speaker system if your thinking of wasting your money on that.

i have currently held off from a speaker set like these, waiting to get a large flat screen then a surround sound ipod compatable system.

buy a proper hi-f ( i.e 2 speakers and an amp) and a 3.5mm to RCA cable for like $20 to connect them, will give you better sounds than any dock even if nyou go for cheap equipment. ( especially if you buy an old amp and speakers of Ebay after doing some reaserch, they tend to sell WELL under retail)

I am sure there is a tonne of discussion at iPodlounge.com. I used to post over there a bunch when I first got my iPod (a few years ago). It is a good resource but over-run with simple questions and as such I have not been back and can not recommend anything.

Long story short- if you want check them out.

any web sites you guys go to check out whats going on in the ipod scene? maybe an ipod blog or something?

ilounge, too much noise though. i used to go there when they were small, now i only go there when i buy a new pod...

there is also tuaw (the unofficial apple weblog), apple insiders, etc etc, i'm subscribed to like 12 of these blogs in my rss readers, but i don't really catch up to all of them very often...

• 4 weeks later...