new rave style tshirts

camc

just email the klaxons or something. this is kind of a stupid question, because how can one actually define "rave shirts?" i don't think that "rave-people" or whatever would actually answer this question or have any ability to describe this kind of shit.

if you're talking about the people who go to misshapes,

maybe fighcats....

just email the klaxons or something. this is kind of a stupid question, because how can one actually define "rave shirts?" i don't think that "rave-people" or whatever would actually answer this question or have any ability to describe this kind of shit.

if you're talking about the people who go to misshapes,

maybe fighcats....

It's actually really easy.

Everything sold on http://www.sevennewyork.com

uuhhh, not everything...

i guess house of holland, cassete playa, and maybe jeremy scott (although this was liberally appropriated by rich nu-ravers).

Hyperbole.

C-Neeon, Bless, Cassette Playa, Bernard Willhelm, Pleasure Principle (sort of), Raf Simons (sort of), etc.

It's obviously not ALL new-rave stuff but it's clearly a popular style / influence at Seven.

Hyperbole.

C-Neeon, Bless, Cassette Playa, Bernard Willhelm, Pleasure Principle (sort of), Raf Simons (sort of), etc.

It's obviously not ALL new-rave stuff but it's clearly a popular style / influence at Seven.

i know what you mean, but i don't want to give nu-ravers the satisfaction.

these designers, as you know have been around long before the nu-rave scene/whatever (with a couple of exceptions of course). if you're getting at what i think you are, specifically any huge textiled or big printed article could be considered nu-rave.

japan is big on this right now actually.

are you speaking about nu-rave fashion? if so what is your def? cassette playa is only carried in one store. the other labels carried at sevennewyork have been in tokyo for the longest time.

electroclash started with the vanity party. and vanity crew dress more "rocknroll" if anything. i see little difference between "harajuku-k (early 90's)" and nu-rave fashions (again, how do you define it??).

I'll define it; tasteless neon shit, that totally disrespects thouse that they are trying to "mirror". I hate it and I hate you for liking it (assuming we're talking about the same style).... The stuff that the "nu-rave" kids are wearing are just thrift store finds. I think that there are some tiny no-name french labels doing this sort of thing but it's not really geared towards nu-rave; it's just bright and trashy.

I do however like kitsune if that says anything.

I'll define it; tasteless neon shit, that totally disrespects thouse that they are trying to "mirror". I hate it and I hate you for liking it (assuming we're talking about the same style).... The stuff that the "nu-rave" kids are wearing are just thrift store finds. I think that there are some tiny no-name french labels doing this sort of thing but it's not really geared towards nu-rave; it's just bright and trashy.

I do however like kitsune if that says anything.

yeah i dislike "nu-rave attitude." kitsune started way before all this contrived bs.

while i do like the music of alot of modular bands, i do not like the way that many of their artists dress.

i know what you mean, but i don't want to give nu-ravers the satisfaction.

these designers, as you know have been around long before the nu-rave scene/whatever. if you're getting at what i think you are, specifically any huge textiled or big printed article could be considered nu-rave.

Haha, point taken.

Where did "nu-rave" even come from? Japan? Britain? Is it actually spawned from some sort of rave revival music scene or is it just a bunch of kids pretending?

.... should i not even jump in here and say how much i love seven new york and how excited i am that they're going to be carrying cassette playa? and that i don't think all nu-ravers are dressed simply in tasteless neon shit, that some of it is very aesthetically pleasing to me?

well there. maul me like dogs.

Haha, point taken.

Where did "nu-rave" even come from? Japan? Britain? Is it actually spawned from some sort of rave revival music scene or is it just a bunch of kids pretending?

UK spawned it, Japan's an early adopter.

there actually is an element of revival in terms of the influence of early rave music, and the same positive vibes, big parties, super happy fun times. a lot of iconic design elements familiar from the original rave scene are getting brought back- watch out for smiley faces.

problem with this whole thing is, as with all nascent sub-scenes, the media start cramming bands into the box that don't fit or make for a very uncohesive unit...

you've got rave/dance influenced rock like the klaxons smashed together with all the

electro and discohouse and indie dance music we're talking about in the other thread to breakcore, strangely enough- a lot of breakcore artists are jumping in on the nu-rave bandwagon, much of it coming from Japan... there's a few Japanese parties i've heard of that are also mixing in trancecore and making the kiddies go nuts.

overall, it is a really fractured sort of thing, but i find it interesting, i like a lot of the music, and i'm not afraid of color. i need a ticket to london or something...

Haha, point taken.

my guess is that it started mainly in london and australia. it is difficult to get into logistics, but dj's like stunners u.k. or american shit like virgin tears w/jeremy scott mixed up various genres ie. crunk/ghetto/house/ whatever, thus you got all kinds of people going to the clubs. i don't think the look really got defined until shit like cassette playa came out, or until the cutcopy/klaxons/presets started touring internationally. not to mention that alot of designers have been influenced by the 1980's. i think that australians in this musical scene (for lack of eloquence) were like the antichrists of color coordinating. simoutaneously the misshapes/last nights party/cobrasnake crowds were just wearing pretty much whatever and giving off this shock-value-like "i dress crazy" vibe unpurpose.

this is my liberal theory, i may be wrong.

.... should i not even jump in here and say how much i love seven new york and how excited i am that they're going to be carrying cassette playa? and that i don't think all nu-ravers are dressed simply in tasteless neon shit, that some of it is very aesthetically pleasing to me?

well there. maul me like dogs.

i love seven new york. i think that certain cassette playa peices can be done tastefully if not overkilled. i think any style of clothing, if done well and that does not seemed contrived is okay. i just don't see an abundance of "nu-ravers" pulling it off.

i prefer more of the a.r.e. weapons look before they started dressing like full on headbangers.

i prefer more of the a.r.e. weapons look before they started dressing like full on headbangers.

they really have started to look like total and complete metalheads now..

i liked it better when brain was wearing Jay-Z tour shirts... and not being ironic about it.

- i don't see many nu-ravers in new york period, as much as i see hipsters trying to pull off the 'look'. and it definitely looks forced and wrong and sad.

maybe i'm just delusional because the shoots they've done in I-D mag always look so great?

for convenience's sake, i will from now on just put non europeans/ozzies into this kind the realm of"hipsters" and limit the "neu-rave" terms for europe/australia (this can obviously argued), but i assume that we can all liberally point out the little fashion differences between hipsters/nu-ravers/ and various fodder at parties who are trying too hard. it's just that bands and listeners of these various musical genres tend to be international, so we don't know who is who.

man, i feel dumb trying to make sense of this. it's the music that matters, i guess.

is this okay by you onemancult?

I'm a bit out of the loop on this one, and genuinely curious: What's the difference between Nu Rave and what is / has been going on at Misshapes, both in terms of fashion and the party?

hipsters vs. neu-ravers. i guess to subcultures are constantly wardrobe-evolving. like onemancult implied it is too difficult to pigeon hole.

i think actually, the differences between the misshapes scene and the nu-rave scene are glaring and easy to point out.

the average DJ set at misshapes, for starters, works more heavily with dance-y post-punk and indie rock band remixes along with mashups of popular top 40 songs and a small dose of new wave. and, they're not working the floor the way a traditional DJ would, and they never have- it has always been more of an amateur, song-selector sort of thing. and the crowd certainly doesn't mind, because they're not a traditional dance music crowd, so they care little to nothing about beatmatching and a consistent tempo and such.

the nu rave crowd in london and in australia, from my perspective, has closer ties to the traditonal dance music scene and cares about all the things anyone who cares about a good DJ would care about. i've also always noted that nu rave sets are always

extremely light on anything that sounds like plain old indie rock or post-punk, the closest you'll get is a remix by any one of the popular units out right now- and it will usually skew far more towards being a dance song as opposed to just an indie rock song that has a disco beat behind it. older people involved in the nu-rave scene are usually people who were involved with rave the first time around or have been involved with club culture for a while.

in terms of the fashion, it comes down again to things that are tied to the music... the misshapes crowd is all indie rockers and hipsters, and their style reflects that. it is noticeably more rock n' roll oriented than nu-rave, particularly london's nu-rave crowd, which is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy out there in terms of color and style. the australian parties i've seen, honestly, people dress like shit.

like 'hey, my polo is pink, i am so rave!'

Edit: i mean, personally speaking, i'd much rather hang out with these girls:

rave.jpg

than this chick:

journal04202006-1.jpg

i just like the colours. dint know how else to describe it.

guess we dig it down here coz most fashion keen kids are under 25 and digging the electro stuff thats coming out of oz right now (presets etc).

most people over the age of 25 (not saying all but if you ever come to perth you'd understand) are still sporting mohawks 7 years on, rockin around in distressed polos, butchered diesel jeans, gigantic sunglasses with gucci plastered across the arm and those gross adiracer style shoes.

so i spose the whole 80's vibe with the extreme colours is a reaction to that.

plus the sun shines 300 days a year so bright colours kind of suit.

who knows. im from perth. its like its own lil isolated country. or maybe ive been watchin too much search for animal chin.

I think onemancult summed it up. I don't see nu-rave as anything to do with indie rock - it's just strange how The Klaxons are considered pioneers of the scene (I'm pretty sure there is no link between them and early nineties rave culture?). The clubs I associate with this scene are like Trailer Trash and Antisocial which seem to play harder dancefloor music - techno and electro (although probably not good techno and electro). It seems like quite a gay scene too.

I don't frequent these clubs though, so maybe I'm completely wrong. It doesn't appeal to me and I think Cassette Playa is pretty awful.

the klaxons are said to have coined the term 'neu rave', as a joke between them and a few of their club friends.

and, they've covered a few rave, house, and trance songs- they've always claimed rave

as a general influence on their perspective, if not their sound.

another thing we're leaving out in this discussion is that despite all the media hype or whatever, the london nu-rave thing was originally a really organic and rather tight-knit scene of kids and older, 1st-gen ravers that were contributing to a sort of rebirth of london club culture... it didnt happen that way in australia.

rave didn't even really go away, there have been illeagle partys been thrown for over 10 years or more in London and other places.. I think the media just needed something new to talk about.. its all just electro/indie post electro clash but if we had never heard the term neu rave we would call it electro or indie dance.. And I kinda think neu rave will be killed by itself the same way electro clash did.. Hopefully the klaxons can shift away from the tag cos' the album pretty goood.. A great pop record!!

Just found this

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/21/fashion/21Rave.html?ei=5088&en=4a81f08ad9f47b6d&ex=1327035600&adxnnl=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1171002418-1BWjmbOlnY6zNAfZULJW7g