Indie-Dance/Electro/Neu-Rave/Disco/House Music: We Are Your Friends.

onemancult

it's fucking disgusting in orlando.

just when it was starting to get ok they replaced all the resident djs at the "best" electro/indie night with djs from bro bars

orlando is pretty terrible. no one keeps up with the blog hype

but i still love bangers

^ do you go to Hands Up? jon and waldo are cool dudes, they throw a pretty chill night at backbooth i think.

SENDky i feel that, yeah. shows have changed drastically when justice's album dropped (that's really the only monumental thing i can base the change on). i went to WMC 2 1/2 years ago, and the show was- digitalism, para one, datarock, sebastiAn, mehdi, busy p, boys noize, and justice closing the night, and there was seriously PLENTY of breathing room in the place. the vibe was incredible, just seemed like everyone knew exactly why they were there, and knew their shit. and ever since then i've been going to shows trying to get that feel back, and always leave feeling empty or straight bummed that the crowd absolutely sucked.

who the fuck cares if no one cool is there. your there for yourself and the music. BUTT HEY its always nice if there are some nice people to meet and what not

ok so shag what u think of part of the weekend? was it educational for you? turn on any lights>?

haha no good lights. it's ridiculous to hear them do their thing live, ive only heard mp3s of them and their remixes. it also makes me feel like turntables are just... not that interesting compared to having a whole setup of synths and stuff.

its like realizing that everything you've done for a long time is really only a drop in the ocean compared to them hahaha.

still amazing though.

shag have you actually seen them live, or just watched POTWND? the energy level at soulwax gig is like 10x that of Justice, i think it has to do with having a huge build up in just about every song lolz

ps. what are ya'lls fav parts of POTWND?

pss. Justice also has a doc in the works:

ctKsWGcGedY

No I havent, that's what I meant. It looks like insanity. I was CONSIDERING flying back to LA from boston for halloween weekend to see them at hard, with justice and deadmau5 and crookers.

It's really upsetting that I won't be there actually. That is going to be like.... a seriously ridiculous show.

On the bright side, I'll be in the UK from dec. 17 to Jan. 9. Is there anything I should catch out there?

FIST OF GOD MSTRKRFT/FELIX CARTAL REVIEW

Man, so I just came back from the Fist of God tour in SF...it was like avg to terrible, I don't think I'm ever going to see MSTRKRFT ever again.

The first 2 times I saw them it was amazing, crowd was amazing, people were there for MSTRKFT, getting down, no d bags pushing, got to dance/sweat on a bunch of cute girls.

This time, Congorock dj'ed first and he was actually great but no one was dancing cause it was early. Then Felix Cartal was on and he was COMPLETE SHIT, didn't know how to build a fucking set, no djing aesthetics, good electro dj's know how to peak, valley, build, etc, that's the best part about electro djing, but he was fucking terrible which was quite dissapointing.

MSTRKRFT came on and did their thing, the only saving grace was that they had a new visual set up with a bunch of tv's which was very cool, but their DJing was lackluster, shitty builds, old songs and I was generally very sad. Their formula: you want to get a crowd fucking hype play some Daft Punk songs.

On the comment of going for the music, of COURSE I do that, but I guess, I like the feeling of musical community and cohesiveness, If people are in the know, you have good convorsations, someone knows how to dance and general energy and non-doucheyness is high then that makes everyone want to have a good time. And vice versa.

Everyone please heed my comments though, I am a very musical and critical of it's aesthetics, and after listening to electro for 2 years, I've been somewhat of a music snob. Hedonism only lasts so long, it's time fo the genre to evolve. A lot of people are just getting into the genre and where I was at 2 years ago so I totally understand. But, oversaturation kills originality and creativity. Electro is too niche to remain a staple for mainstreamism.

What have you got planned for the near future?

I'm working with a singer from Boston on a band project at the moment. I'm a bit fed up with the prevailing "new electronic scene" which is we've partially initiated with the label Institubes, so I'd like to seek more refinement in the production process, look for less hedonistic concepts, and again, go in the opposite direction.

-Para One

I feel like a lot of electro DJ's who actually give 2 shits think this, I just hope it happens soon.

if no one cool is there it doesn't ruin the show but it sure as shit does MATTER. venue and crowd matters a lot. it's exactly why i'm somewhat hesitant to go to m.i.a. when she starts touring because it's going to be full of pineapplechildren and lame ass people who heard Paper Planes and decided they want to go hear that song live... sure, she'll still be great live but the atmosphere will be different.

also electro may be changing, but it's not 'on its way out' or 'dying'

alsoalso more mstrkrft reviews the show is next wed and i need to decide if i should go or not

if no one cool is there it doesn't ruin the show but it sure as shit does MATTER. venue and crowd matters a lot. it's exactly why i'm somewhat hesitant to go to m.i.a. when she starts touring because it's going to be full of pineapplechildren and lame ass people who heard Paper Planes and decided they want to go hear that song live... sure, she'll still be great live but the atmosphere will be different.

also electro may be changing, but it's not 'on its way out' or 'dying'

alsoalso more mstrkrft reviews the show is next wed and i need to decide if i should go or not

the shows going to be at least decently fun either way, man. have a few drinks, talk to a couple of girls who knows you may even hear a song or two you might like.

just don't go into it with the wrong attitude and you'll be good.

What have you got planned for the near future?

I'm working with a singer from Boston on a band project at the moment. I'm a bit fed up with the prevailing "new electronic scene" which is we've partially initiated with the label Institubes, so I'd like to seek more refinement in the production process, look for less hedonistic concepts, and again, go in the opposite direction.

-Para One

I feel like a lot of electro DJ's who actually give 2 shits think this, I just hope it happens soon.

heh, doesn't seem to have too much a problem with it here

EhdA_LQXzVw

i'm with you on the crowds thing, most of the shows in nyc absolutely blow because everyone is only there to be seen and occasionally dance, but not go fucking crazy, i will say that the last time i saw soulwax in august EVERYONE was going crazy, something i hadn't experienced in awhile, i'm literally counting down the days til the 25th now,

ps. ya'll seen the new designer drugs tanks? i would post a picture of the whole thing but this pic is crayyy

l_a9a53b56782746e4ab19d56cf63bdfaa.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/bryanjonez

hey guys please check my friend out and just post critique :D

the tracks i thought were ok, nothing blew my mind

=====

ps: any promoters in la looking for an opener, my boys are stopping through LA on their way back from a gig in mexico and are thinking about extending their stay. so were just talking about a booking fee, http://www.myspace.com/clashthediskokids, these guys are playing in london in november, and they've played all over asia.

PAYCE AND LUV