What does it take to be a stylist?

lacquered

having worked with a lot of stylists in New York it usually takes the humility and patience to be willing to assist another stylist while you are developing your identity, building your relationships with brands, publicists, showrooms, record labels, film companies, etc. and hustling and networking your ass off.

Bottom line.....hustle and unqiue style sensibility are the barriers to entry

i think all you need is good style and a shit ton of connections. I'm speaking from no knowledge

From my experience, this is true.

Having a ton of connections is especially true. You need labels and stores to lend you product for shoots. And, it's hard to imagine that Barney's or Steven Alan's would allow someone they don't know to borrow thousands of dollars worth of clothing.

From my experience, this is true.

Having a ton of connections is especially true. You need labels and stores to lend you product for shoots. And, it's hard to imagine that Barney's or Steven Alan's would allow someone they don't know to borrow thousands of dollars worth of clothing.

I worked in retail for a while, and many stylists would come in buy the stuff, then try to return the stuff with deodorant stains and makeup on it.

Your personal style is important yes but secondary to being friendly and hard working when you're setting out. If you hook yourself up as a styling assistant witha freelancer then you can assess whether the job is for you without having to give up a regular source of income. Then, through being nice you will start to build a name for yourself as you build up contacts and experience. Finally when you do begin to emerge from the shadow of your mentor never ever forget where you've come from or feel that any job is too 'small' for you or it will come full circle and fist you good and proper. Also, do try to acquaint yourself with a good photograher who is looking to build their 'folio as this way you can both experiment with style, location, brands etc. And, if I can add one more thing - only put your best work in your folio; four or five stories with about five full pages of different looks is good (and by different I mean each look different as there is nothing worse than looking at the same 'stylists own' watch on four consecutive pages - very sloppy).

having worked with a lot of stylists in New York it usually takes the humility and patience to be willing to assist another stylist while you are developing your identity, building your relationships with brands, publicists, showrooms, record labels, film companies, etc. and hustling and networking your ass off.

Bottom line.....hustle and unqiue style sensibility are the barriers to entry

Said it all right there, London. However, I could add that assisting the RIGHT stylists will do you worlds of wonder. Some won't do shit for you when it comes to finally going out on your own. Took me bouncing around alot of shitty people to finally settle on someone that actually recognized this is what i wanted to do.

And personal style doesn't have a ton to do with it in my opinion...yes, it can definitely help, but believe me....i've met a ton of stylists with no personal style whatsoever...kinda weird i have to admit!

all the advice above is pretty much what ive been told by friends who are on the way in this insustry,really important to find a good stylist to assist to learn the way things work.be nice to everyone,if youve got the gift of the gab thats a great bonus as with most creative industry its alot on who you know.

personally im trying to get as much personal stuff done while im at uni then start lookling for a assisting work when i graduate in may.

I've done work as a stylist. What kind of styling do you want to do? magazine spreads? personal/celebrity?

The money is in personal/celebrity. Most people doing spreads starting out or on average only make a couple hundred a day (dayrate). That's really not much. It's great for photoshoots that are like 45 mins or working fashion week/a fashion show that's less than half an hour, but there are days when you do 16 hour a day shoots and you'll make less money than if you were flipping burgers.

The best way to get yourself in the door is to be a stylist assistant. This means a lot of bitch work and I do mean a lot. You'll be running around holding garment bags for them, picking them up and dropping them off. Running to stores to get clips, drinks, food..etc. Burning your fingers steaming clothes. On the upside? You're usually the ones that get to help the models put on their clothes. :)

Once you're on your own it generally sucks if you don't have really mad connections. There have been many times where I've pulled some pieces from chanel or marc jacobs a week in advance and then vogue comes in last min and takes it from me. Most showrooms don't give a shit about the little guys like us doing smaller publications because its all about the big name.

But other than that all I can really tell you is contact a stylist (you can find names in magazines. Call them up, they're usuall great about giving contact info) and seeing if they need assistants. Then working your way around it from there. Also, check out thefashionspot.com, they have a great thread on "how to be a stylist"

skim read a bit of the fashion spot thread but its to long to go right through but deffinatly be a good piont of reference for when i finish in may,its a pain being outside london if i was in london id already work on assisting a stylist.fingers crossed i can get some links to work with a stylist through friends,guess for now just building up a strong book of images.

i posted a few images i styled on my blog if anyones interested in looking.

I've done work as a stylist. What kind of styling do you want to do? magazine spreads? personal/celebrity?

The money is in personal/celebrity. Most people doing spreads starting out or on average only make a couple hundred a day (dayrate). That's really not much. It's great for photoshoots that are like 45 mins or working fashion week/a fashion show that's less than half an hour, but there are days when you do 16 hour a day shoots and you'll make less money than if you were flipping burgers.

The best way to get yourself in the door is to be a stylist assistant. This means a lot of bitch work and I do mean a lot. You'll be running around holding garment bags for them, picking them up and dropping them off. Running to stores to get clips, drinks, food..etc. Burning your fingers steaming clothes. On the upside? You're usually the ones that get to help the models put on their clothes. :)

Once you're on your own it generally sucks if you don't have really mad connections. There have been many times where I've pulled some pieces from chanel or marc jacobs a week in advance and then vogue comes in last min and takes it from me. Most showrooms don't give a shit about the little guys like us doing smaller publications because its all about the big name.

But other than that all I can really tell you is contact a stylist (you can find names in magazines. Call them up, they're usuall great about giving contact info) and seeing if they need assistants. Then working your way around it from there. Also, check out thefashionspot.com, they have a great thread on "how to be a stylist"

In your personal experience do you think it's absolutely required to have a degree relating to this? I didn't see anyone mention this. This was super informative too, thanks.

It kills her to admit it but an old stylist of mine funds her editorial work through styling T&A for redtops. Only once has she had to hold cold cans of drink against flesh. I have offered to assist her in this department but the answer, alas, is always no. A crying shame.

In your personal experience do you think it's absolutely required to have a degree relating to this? I didn't see anyone mention this. This was super informative too, thanks.

Nope. When I was styling I had no degree or experience in fashion. I was working with a magazing as an illustrator and asked a stylist we were working with on a shoot I happened to drop by in if she needed an assistant.

I have 2 friends that work as stylist currently and they don't have any degree at all. Just the right connects and good taste.

skim read a bit of the fashion spot thread but its to long to go right through but deffinatly be a good piont of reference for when i finish in may,its a pain being outside london if i was in london id already work on assisting a stylist.fingers crossed i can get some links to work with a stylist through friends,guess for now just building up a strong book of images.

Good looks, and a fantastic setup on the blog. I like the new direction -- I'm not sure when you made the switch, but this new version is very unfussy. Clean write-ups, and very little pretense. It'll be a pleasure to revisit.

cheers im glad you liked it,good to hear the images being well recieved aswell got so many to edit through.Id like to devote a bit more time to the blog will after unis done with,yea i try to keep the word count down im a nightmare on my spelling just try to make it a reflection of my tastes

i don't know too much about america, but in japan you have to apprentice under a stylist for around 5 years. basically you are their bitch. you do all the dirty work, and make as many connections as possible. after you pay your dues, you can start contracting work on your own.

mouko, can you elaborate more about the personal/celeb stylist?

how do you exactly get way through from the beginning?

yeah i was into the images you posted looking forward to seeing more

mouko, can you elaborate more about the personal/celeb stylist?

how do you exactly get way through from the beginning?

In my opinion its about selling yourself. Look at Raisin face (aka rachel zoe)..she had no prior fashion experience and did a small stint at YM magazine then married rich and partied herself into the social scene.

If I were going to be a personal stylist/celeb stylist, I'd work my rounds doing mag styling, build up a portfolio then use my lookbook/portfolio to get personal/celeb clients.