Raw or One-Wash?

aubrgene

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One wash, definitely. You know exactly how they are going to fit, and you can return them if they don't. A pair of raw unsanforized after a soak isn't really that much different than a one wash.

Raw is probably a bit easier to set creases in because they are normally stiffer, but that's just a short term thing.

I really don't see any benefits to raw...

Gonna go onto the Raw roster... For me its just the small things such as soaking the jeans yourself and niddling around with your jeans which get me excited...

The biggest issue for me with the unsanforized is that when you go raw you aren't necessarily sure what the jeans will look like on you. Most of the ones that I've tried in a raw state on looked really goofy (too big, strange bulgy legs, etc) but they can change drastically with that first soak. And you don't know how much they'll change either. I was lucky with my PJB-006s in that they actually looked really nice after the soak in terms of fit whereas beforehand my entire feet were covered up from the inseam and the waist fit nice (and thankfully didnt shrink) but the legs looked really odd before the wash.

Then again there's something cool about getting them completely crispy.

In a perfect world, every store would have some one-wash that you can try on in every size and then buy the equivalent in raw.

Tough one... As Superstar points out soaking your jeans is fun, also scary, but some times scary makes things fun :D.

Going strictly on looks and ease of use get the one wash, you have to worry much less about shrinkage although they still can shrink a bit. Some will say that raw breaks in better, gets better honeycomb, is darker etc... I don't believe it. Give a one wash and a raw in the same model of jean a year of wear and you won't tell them apart.

I'm joining Superstar on the raw roster. I just enjoy the whole process and if you've read enough of the threads on this board its not too risky.

I dunno, no matter how much you read on this board, you never know how something is gonna fit you until you put it on. You can't put a pair of raw on and tell whether or not they are gonna fit how you like without sacrificing your ability to return.

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm trying to work out whether to get the PBJ' xx004s in the one wash or raw.

I don't live near BIG so I will be ordering them (can't try on for the perfect size). So either way I have to kind of guess. I really prefer the idea of raw since I am worried a washed denim won't crease and wear the same way.

Also, I'm curious about what people say about how a home soaked raw jean will fit better. Can someone shed some light on this for me? is it a significant difference in fit? Thanks guys

I prefer one wash. I'm not really into dark denim, so i'm not so much of a purist...but based on what everyone here says about all those brands where you buy em raw then you gotta soak em, i just can't deal with that kind of responsibility and the possible consequences if they end up being too small. I'm perfectly fine with my o/w 45 rpms, bought em and wore em fresh out the gate, no thinking involved.

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm trying to work out whether to get the PBJ' xx004s in the one wash or raw.

I don't live near BIG so I will be ordering them (can't try on for the perfect size). So either way I have to kind of guess. I really prefer the idea of raw since I am worried a washed denim won't crease and wear the same way.

Also, I'm curious about what people say about how a home soaked raw jean will fit better. Can someone shed some light on this for me? is it a significant difference in fit? Thanks guys

Yeah, for you its either buy raw at BiG and potentially be disappointed when you soak, or buy one wash from Japan and potentially be disappointed when you get them. Not too sure about people who say that a raw will fit better either, I'm guessing these are the folks that sit in the bath tub while soaking their jeans. I'd assume any benefits that this more custom fit have will be useless after a week of wear.

I spoke to a SA at 45 rpm and the raw denim in question is a size 30. I'm a size 30 but the raw will be a 32 and should shrink to 30 after the wash. Showering with the jeans ( suggested ) on is one way to shrink the jeans to conform with the body. I must say, there's something appealing about controlling how much shrinkage you prefer ( by using hot or cold water ), and how much color loss you prefer by using detergent or not. Here's a photo of RAW Jomons.

http://www.pbase.com/rends/image/73624644.jpg Raw Jomons

http://www.pbase.com/rends/image/73550976.jpg One Wash Jomons

I spoke to a SA at 45 rpm and the raw denim in question is a size 30. I'm a size 30 but the raw will be a 32 and should shrink to 30 after the wash. Showering with the jeans ( suggested ) on is one way to shrink the jeans to conform with the body. I must say, there's something appealing about controlling how much shrinkage you prefer ( by using hot or cold water ), and how much color loss you prefer by using detergent or not. Here's a photo of RAW Jomons.

http://www.pbase.com/rends/image/73624644.jpg Raw Jomons

http://www.pbase.com/rends/image/73550976.jpg One Wash Jomons

I am not trying to be a jerk on this but as far as one washes go that is a heavy one washed imo, look at the wear/fading around pocket and belt loops. Also there is very different lighting in those two pictures.