Favorite Polo shirts?

soultek

What are people's favorite polo shirts? I am talking more fit and fabric than any crazy designy silk screen stuff or wear, or sewn stuff. Just basic polos with maybe something simple going on.

For me: I still think original Polo shirts are the best I've worn. The fabric seems more compact than other brands of polo shirts. But I don't know. It has been a while since I wore one. It may not be as good as I remember it.

I like the fit on my Aem'kei polo too.

Thoughts? Anyone care?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always loved Fred Perry Polos. I wear polos every day at work but I only have a few Fred Perry's that I can wear because I have tattoos on my upper arms. I love vintage Le Tigre's, Lacoste, and anything that is pique and has an animal logo. I only have one "polo" and it is a vintage repro mercerized one that has no logo and it is pretty cool. I also love Fake London polos. I get a lot of comments on mine. I also wear Hackett ones; they are quite durable.

Carpe Denim!

1112885282366_selvage1_edited.JPG

Edited by Serge d Nimes on Apr 26, 2005 at 08:40 PM

seems Polo (the brand) is the winner. Wow, they made repro Polo shirts? Japanese I assume..

Lots of modern polos from designers have artificially worn parts. I'm not really feelin' that.

I was going to check out Fred Perry and LaCoste, but I kind of didn't want too recognizeable of a brand. I may just head out to the Polo outlet...

Nike had those Reissue polo shirts which was supposedly from their first athletic apparel line. I like some of the details on those shirts, but the colors were too bright for my tastes and the fit was funny. Organic cotton though.

no problems with my lacostes. remember to wash in cold water, then hang dry if necessary. mine shrank just a little (5% at the most) even when i dried them in the machine with high heat. it would be strange if a real lacoste shrink "to a half-shirt". of course, if you didn't buy from a lacoste dealer, all bets are off.

If anyone is ever in Hong Kong, there's a local brand called BlueStar. Their plain, no logo, polos are 100% cotton (more of a mesh than pique), come in almost every color possible, and are made pretty well. The fit is similar to RL polos and they always have sales for like 2 for $99HK (about $12 U.S.)! They also have awesome regular t-shirts.

Edited by Bing Bing on Apr 27, 2005 at 11:21 AM

My current favourites are Dior Homme & Gucci. The Dior ones are a soft vintage cotton (not pique) , whereas the Gucci ones are Mesh(y). Great fits.

Of course, you cannot beat a standard RL Polo ( I prefer the custom fits). Fred Perry, in the UK at least does customized colorways - I also like Fred Perry/Comme Des Garcons ones.

I saw a guy with an orange polo with a logo of these pinky/neon 80's style skiing sunglasses. He of course also had those kinds of sunglasses on.

Any idea who makes those polos?

PS: Polo and Fred Perry

Edited by macmxbmw on May 7, 2005 at 09:07 AM

man i love polos -- ive rocked them all...from

hilfiger (remember the ones w/ the striped oxford pattern on the collar ? those were hot till your dad started rocking them too)

lacoste - i only have a red an a hot aquamarine one... ther fit is kinda eh...but i've seen ther custom fit ones out now, they seem to be made of better material but w/o me owning one i cant attest

polo - my favorite of all time, the one im rocking - custom fit multicolored polo player polo, shorter arms, trimmer fit, higher armholes, Knit in a refined cotton pique, mercerized for an exceptional luster.Two-button placket, ribbed collar and armbands, uneven vented hem. Embroidered polo player accents the chest. ralph lauren items are built more for 6 footers, its hard for a shorter dude to get the right fit for them... thank god ther coming out w/ alot of custom fit cuts tho...

pPOLO2-1828757_standard_v330.jpg

I like Fred Perry for the good sizing, a lot more of a tapered cut - they go down to an XS and I like the colored ribbing on the sleeves.

I've had RL polos stretch on me after a few wash and wears. Polos I think, should be basic and subtle.

Penguin polos seem to be popular now, I remember them as a kid in Australia.

I have two polo shirts.

A grey, green polo-player one, long sleeve that wouldn't be small on Shaq.

A white Prada with red logo inside where the buttons supposed to be. HOT!

This is kinda off, but do anyone know who made those really amazing polo shirts without buttons? They are a silky material, probably satin or something, and Brad Pitt wears one in Ocean's Twelve multiple times. They are the craziest polo's ever.

Denim Fanatismé.

The Arc - Hitting the selvage from August 1st 2005.

xx01.gif

William,

You just joined yesterday & you're a bit of a prick...

It's cool to be clever from time to time but my advice would be

to just pick threads that interest you or maybe scram altogether!

You started all vulnerable with "what jewelry is still hot"? & then quickly turned

to your alter ego.

I know it's tempting to always blow a thread up because sure, most likely

80-90% of the people on here are kooks. Just be patient & threads that suit

you will appear. Or like I said, bounce.

It IS the internet dude... relax!

I'm glad you feel you're super-sophisticated but I gotta say, If you were, being a

prick would be beneath you...

-Dub

Quote:

Ralph Lauren or Fred Perry for me.

The SS Fred Perry/Comme polos are wicked. simple White/Black polos with Fluro trim. looks sweet.

--- Original message by Christiaan on May 13, 2005 01:21 PM

fred perry teaming up with CDG is when they REALLY jumped the shark. to each his own, but i think the color combos are atrocious and then the price is jacked up 3x a normal Fred. i think polo shirts have a utilitarian function and having one cost over $150 is ridiculous.