Must go places in Seattle?

fortuity

Seattle basically has 3 main drinking districts in the downtown area - Pioneer Square, Bell Town, and Pike/Pine on Capitol Hill. Ballard has some good live music venues and bars, but you'll need a car to get there. (15-20 min north)

Painting in broad strokes, here's how the 3 areas break out:

Pioneer Square is the youngest area - lots of bars and clubs, but mostly mainstream. It's also near the baseball and football stadiums, so you get tons of frat boys, sports fans and suburban adventurers. Although it doesn't reflect this much anymore, this is where the term "skid row" was coined.

Belltown has some cool bars, but I avoid it on the weekends. Lots of hipsters and wanna be hipsters. Some good clubs but also some of Seattle's worst. Although the scene is somewhat varied, you'll see more beautiful people dressed beautifully here than in any of the other areas.

Pike/Pine on Capitol Hill is the best choice, in my opinion. Best mix of people - younger, older, gay, straight, drug addicts, straight edge, hip hop, rock and roll. Most of the bars between Boren and Broadway are on Pike, while east of Broadway, most are on Pine. This neighborhood has a few live music venues, several gay/lesbian bars, dive bars, cocktail lounges, restaraunts, record/clothing shops, etc.

When you get to town, pick up The Stranger to find our what's up.

http://www.thestranger.com/current/

Gotta get back to work, but tell me what you're into and I can recommend some more specific stuff.

• 1 month later...