How Deep?

Selegna

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lucked out with this CC business... My first card offer from AMEX was the Gold card and like... 9 months later, I was already pre-approved for their Platinum card.

I like to use my AMEX more because that way I consciously know that if I spend what I don't have, then I'm fucked.

I have about $300 debt on my Visa though.

Not bad.

It's not smart at all. Paying off an existing CC (bad) debt is better than creating savings at the same time. When you consider the monthly interest, your debt grows faster than the rate of your bank savings so you're losing more money by holding on to that debt. Unless your savings is in something that will grow your money fast, throw it at the cc debt.

if you don't have a cc get one. if you're not responsible, get one that has no annual fee and cut it up. at least having an open line of credit for awhile will build some credit history until you're responsible to use it.

Best advice so far.

Just to tweak it a little if you have a cell phone bill, internet bill, utilities (easiest is cell phone bill but anything monthly) you can have your credit card pay it off on time (with auto pay) and that way you can have a bit of activity to keep your cc open since some do require some sort of activity (usually the no annual fee ones)

I'd also skip the reward pts and shit and just sign up for cash back. Most companies offer at least 2% maybe 1% but when you think about it you're going to be paying your phone bill every month (hopefully on time) anyways...

Why not just pay the credit card to pay your phone bill instead? Wouldn't cost you anything, actually would make a bit of money (a few cents do add up) and also help build your credit.

Best advice so far.

Just to tweak it a little if you have a cell phone bill, internet bill, utilities (easiest is cell phone bill but anything monthly) you can have your credit card pay it off on time (with auto pay) and that way you can have a bit of activity to keep your cc open since some do require some sort of activity (usually the no annual fee ones)

I'd also skip the reward pts and shit and just sign up for cash back. Most companies offer at least 2% maybe 1% but when you think about it you're going to be paying your phone bill every month (hopefully on time) anyways...

Why not just pay the credit card to pay your phone bill instead? Wouldn't cost you anything, actually would make a bit of money (a few cents do add up) and also help build your credit.

yeah i have a chase cashback card, i put all my gas on it, i get 3% back on all gas purchases, 1 % on everything else, i only buy what i can afford, while still putting away 75%+ of my paycheck a month... CC's are good, being irresponsible is not

good advice whitney.

chase treats me well - i think i got $300 in cashback last year, another $200 in sign-up bonuses, a free plane ticket, and probably at least $100 in checks for "trial offers" that i just cancel a week or so after cashing the checks.. and just got a $3k added to my credit line without asking.

I only have 1 credit card, and I the only reason I use it is to build up credit.

Spend whatever I want on it, then pay it back right when it is no longer pending and posts to the account.

02/04/08 - Spend $###

02/07/08 - Payback $###

Simple as that, I've never been in debt.

I find it hard to believe that no one on this site (especially this site) has credit card debt, or maybe the ones that do are too embarassed to post.

I fluctuate between $2k-10K in credit card debt over the past few years, currently at about $4k. I generally pay off most of my cards once a year with my bonuses. From what i understand, credit agencies expect you to have some debt, as long as its under 25% of your total credit line, you are ok. But thats probably a trap.

I also have $40k in student loans (rate is only 3.25%), thanks partly to my MBA.

Could pay off most of the student loan, but at that rate, I will continue to carry it as I prefer to have cash and investments.

Approx. $4,200. Last month was the first time that I drew a credit card balance longer than the free grace period. I applied for a 0%APR card to finance a percentage of an engagement ring.

I'm a big fan of debt in both personal finance and business. I only borrow what I can pay back immediately, and I make sure i have cash invested in something liquid generating a positive margin. As far as debt to buy clothing and other gadgets, work expenses, travel, etc. I make sure to pay it off monthly.

Also, if your credit card company starts to increase your credit card limits, I'd recommend getting them to curtail it to what it was or within reason to your annual income. The high levels availability impacts your FICO score negatively.