Apple iPhone

artificialsky

I thought the whole point of this was to be able to get off the cell network and use wifi to make calls. Shift networks seamlessly.

Does this do that or not?

Doubtful. Haven't seen any mention of VoIP functionality, and I'm certain Cingular would want to avoid this. Maybe it'll run a 3rd party app like Skype (which would run separately to the phone and therefore wouldn't shift seamlessly mid call), but that depends on how open the OS is.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doubtful. Haven't seen any mention of VoIP functionality, and I'm certain Cingular would want to avoid this. Maybe it'll run a 3rd party app like Skype (which would run separately to the phone and therefore wouldn't shift seamlessly mid call), but that depends on how open the OS is.

I'm sure it will be disabled, but circumvented within months of its release. :)

i want one soooo bad....

the only thing i'm afraid is typing SMS or email with the touch-screen. as cool and simple as it looked at the keynote, i'm afraid it won't run as smooth. but hey, probably the product i'm the most excited about pretty much all my life....

wow this is worthless to me then. It's only tweak of existing phones, nothing revolutionary at all.

I think what they were going for wasn't "revolutionary", but rather something the phone market does not have--an Apple mentality with a product that looks like it's made by one company rather than tens of hundreds. The UI and apps are integrated so well, it's pushing that closed source solidarity that Apple has in most of their product line.

I agree though, it's only a tweak, but it's got enough flare to garner their goal of a 1% market share.

haters are fun :)

shit's hot yo. a little extortionate for $499 with a contract, though, hardly the kind of price students can afford without using up a big chunk of their loan.

Considering how important their reputation is, the pricing is consistent with their product line--it is a premium. As sucky as that is, it maintains a balance in the phone market by separating them from the other phone manufacturers. Even as gimmicky as an iPhone is, it's solid pricing and branding will help the iPhone stand out as something desireable and next-gen in terms of phones/smartphones/pdas/etc.

You could apply the same logic to the iPod. It's all in the details, and the overall user experience with Apple products is second to none.

hmm well the original ipod was revolutionary to me. I dont remember anything at the time that could hold 5GB of music and actually play it. That was really something new. correct me if im wrong

***hating in an artificialsky thread***

no 3g, no ichat, cingular, 600 bucks, yahoo mail.

*it does have ichat, theres a slide of it being used in that original link below the picture

but does it have text messaging? no ones signed onto ichat whilst in class, nor can they use the phone, i MUST have text messaging

It looks amazing but I'm not sure how good it will be as a phone. I spoke to my friends that still work for Apple and I should be able to check it out before the end of the month.

I already have cingular so I might get it when it comes out. I just need a very good phone so it will have to stand up to others.

it looks fantastic! but the ability to play music on a phone is pretty much useless to me due to the limited storage. i've currently got an 80gb ipod, which is used for strictly music. 8gb just seems SO limited if you've got any kind of a music collection. i guess it would be handy for those times when you don't want to bring an ipod...

how bad does cingular suck really? i'm with verizon but I think I'm gonna have to check out Cingular for this phone... They should have some kindda trial period I can do... and if it works great I'll port it over somehow... heh...

how bad does cingular suck really? i'm with verizon but I think I'm gonna have to check out Cingular for this phone... They should have some kindda trial period I can do... and if it works great I'll port it over somehow... heh...

Cingular works great for me in NYC. I never had any problems in big cities either.

I only care about two gadgets. An iPod and a cell phone. I don't care if my cell phone does anything besides make calls. The fact that I can have an iPod that integrates its video/music/web capabilities so seamlessly with a really nice and simple phone gui is exactly what I could ever want. So call me a Jobs cultist. Fuck it, show me an adequate alternative and I'll think about switching to something else.

okay two (of many) possible problems:

1.) face-grease and fingerprints all over this scratchable bitch

2.) how am i supposed to fit this behemoth into my pocket and not expect it to crack when i sit down?

and has anybody here heard about the touch-sensitivity issues verizon's LG Chocolate phone has been having? not meaning to hate, but i figured i'd bring some of this up. I don't plan on buying one, of course it makes me hate my samsung just a little bit more, but I predict that as cool as this phone is, it will go the way of the RAZR in terms of "everyone and their grandma has one" factors. I highly doubt price will go down so far that they'll be giving them away for free with contracts after a while, since apple has pretty much maintained the price of their ipods

tying the iphone to a particular cellular service provider is a bad, bad move.

tying email capabilities to Yahoo is a bad, bad, bad move.

i can predict with almost absolute certainty that certain touch-screen features aren't going to work as seamlessly as promised for at least the first two generations of the iPhone.

speaking of which, touch-screen qwerty pad? really, really bad idea.

Safari browser? They couldn't stick with Opera, which is already standard for most people coding for mobile?

4 and 8 GB models... and its flash memory? this is supposed to help people integrate their ipod with their phone? who the fuck only listens to 4 and 8 GB worth of music besides juicy coutoure wearing orange-skinned girls who buy pink nanos exclusively?

and, finally,

apple makes the bulk of its money from enticing and forcing consumers into an endless cycle of desire and purchase through constant minor innovations. that has worked so far, to a certain degree, for ipods, but can you imagine shelling out 600 bones every once in awhile just cause they came out with a new iphone that has better touch screen sensitivity or whatever?

I am pretty certain that this is not true, it supports all POP and IMAP mail servers (and hopefully over SSL too)...

tying the iphone to a particular cellular service provider is a bad, bad move.

phone manufacturers and service providers negotiate exclusivity deals all the time. apple's commitment to cingular (and vice versa) does not continue in perpetuity...

did you miss the part w/ of the keynote w/ google's CEO? i don't think they're signing on just to provide maps service. apple is casting the net widely, partnering with many companies and letting them get some of the shine at the product launch. yahoo's offering free push-mail to integrate with the iphone, but you can bet that's not all yahoo's going to throw at the device, and that they won't be the only email service provider to offer a compatible service.

i can predict with almost absolute certainty that certain touch-screen features aren't going to work as seamlessly as promised for at least the first two generations of the iPhone.

tough to say, but you've got a point. the multi-touch technology has been out for awhile (apple patented it and this video leaked about a year ago), though, so i'm expecting something that works pretty well out of the gate.

speaking of which, touch-screen qwerty pad? really, really bad idea.

for texting from a mobile device? why? you're not writing your term paper on the thing, but i'm sure it'll be faster than a standard phone-pad.

Safari browser? They couldn't stick with Opera, which is already standard for most people coding for mobile?

i'm sure opera will get ported, but apple is as much a software company as they are a hardware company... they make a browser, so why wouldn't they bundle it? apple's developer program has been quite successful, historically, and i'm sure they'll have any number of incentives to encourage/simplify third party development.

4 and 8 GB models... and its flash memory? this is supposed to help people integrate their ipod with their phone? who the fuck only listens to 4 and 8 GB worth of music besides juicy coutoure wearing orange-skinned girls who buy pink nanos exclusively?

umm... ipod nano? the best selling mp3 player on the planet? 4 and 8 gigs. not everyone keeps EVERY piece of music they own on their mp3 player... they cycle and recycle through their collection, update the player with new songs, etc. 8 gigs will take anyone much longer than a week or two to cycle through, even if you've ripped your collection at lossless settings...

and, finally,

apple makes the bulk of its money from enticing and forcing consumers into an endless cycle of desire and purchase through constant minor innovations. that has worked so far, to a certain degree, for ipods, but can you imagine shelling out 600 bones every once in awhile just cause they came out with a new iphone that has better touch screen sensitivity or whatever?

existing cell phone/umpc lifespan is MAYBE two years... how long do people keep their treos or blackberrys at this point? i don't see how upgrading your iphone will be any different.