cleaning/maintaining white sneakers?

shinobi2000

I'm a purist and I like my sneakers white or close to white, not these crazy purple and orange colors out there now. Problem is, with dry denim, they get that blue tinge where the cuff falls on them. I have these awesome cream colored sneakers taht I got from Daikanyama last year that always gets compliments so I'm obsessive with keeping them clean. If I'm not cuffing my dry denim, I figured out a method of taping the inside of the cuff with clear tape to avoid getting dye on the sneakers. Recently I've been wearing my RRLs and they look ok with a slight cuff so I figured -- well since the dark blue hem is flipped up, I dont have to worry about them rubbing on the sneakers. (the only part in contact with the sneaker is the inside of the jeans and the selvage edge) After a day or two of wearing them, to my utter shock I saw the blue stain on them! Could this be the selvage edge that is doing it? How is it getting blue stains all around? Could it possibly be that the dye is staining the sneaker from the INSIDE? I know there are sneaker fanatics here. How do you people clean/maintain your white sneakers?

the warp threads (ones that go vertically; ones that are indigo dyed) are on the inside as well so you'll still get a little crocking (blue rub off). it bothered me when i cuffed and i was obsessed with keeping my white vans white but now i just wear them cuff down until most of the indigo comes off on places where it contacts the shoe and then i won't have to worry about it. alternately, you could put tape around the inside circumference but that seems kind of obsessive but to each his own.