• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

IMG_2318.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

The piece of paper tacked up behind the Eames Office Kubricks is my most prized possession though, an exquisite corpse drawn by myself with help from none other than Kurt Vonnegut.

Edit: Oh, and the box in the same picture is signed by Dalek, if you were wondering what that scribble was.

img1648jw3.jpgstd1644et7.jpg

stb1642fv2.jpg

My Collection and i do play with them, some times when there are kids at my place, sometimes when It's just me and i feel like being a big kid.

I need a new place to keep them the cat likes to get at them. Your Levis sign is realy sweet Ace, Where did you get it?

Guest Airjamie
I don't think you fully understand what these "toys" are. First, you can't think about them as "toys" in the traditional sense of the word. They're an extension of contemporary character design manifested in the form of an action figure. You can think of them as either blanks for design in repetition, or as freestanding pieces.

As contemporary character design (a form of graphic design with roots in animation and pop art) is a 2-D form (even if it's rendered as 3-D it's sill flat) it's relatively abstract in that it's a 2-D design made to imitate a 3-D character. The action figure takes that 2-D design and puts it into its 3-D context. In the process new dimensions are opened by the transposition and another visual style is created.

At the end of the day, as you've hinted at, they're a commodity. That's totally correct, that's why they exist. Pictoplasma 2 says on action figures, "The point is simply to own them, they are a material version of something that has so far tended to be virtual, and have no practical use value." It states earlier, "They are precise, claean, usually slick and painted, destined for the home showcase," (page 107). I'd say that this is also the purpose of most modern decorative art (remembering that art is the very essence of collectible). So, stemming from their representation of an artistic abstracation and their own role as an art or pseudo-art piece, I'd say that they were intended to be something other than toys.

This is all recognizing that character design is a modern art form which, I think, is a completely subjective recognization. My argument stems from such a recognization.

This is going on a little long, but I'd like to contend the use of "hypebeast generation." There's no such thing. "Hypebeasting" is a socioeconomically limited subculture that is a far cry from a social phenomenon. In no way could it ever come to define a generation, even in the limited sense of geography, age, or race. It's prevalent here because we bash it, and thinly spread in North America and Japan.

That's enough.

Bullshit ratings at an all time high here. This is fucking retarded. They are called "action" figures because they can perform a given "action" and not just stand there on your fucking shelf. Designer toys are lame.

ok, just calm down.

They mean different thing to different people. Like anything if you don’t like them just leave them, but stop trying to bring down toys for the rest of us.

Guest Airjamie
ok, just calm down.

They mean different thing to different people. Like anything if you don’t like them just leave them, but stop trying to bring down toys for the rest of us.

Maybe you should read my post again. I'm not bringing down Toys at all. Im bringing down $150 playmobile dudes with graffiti splatter or brand logos painted on them. I understand how some of them may be neat to look at but that is basically it. How are you supposed to play with these?

Guest Airjamie
You can teabag them.

;)

Nah, see when it comes to my unit, I tend to prefer the soft, warm feel of someones face to cold hard plastic. Also a toy will never be able to lick the sweat off my gooch like, say, your mother usually does.

Nah, see when it comes to my unit, I tend to prefer the soft, warm feel of someones face to cold hard plastic. Also a toy will never be able to lick the sweat off my gooch like, say, your mother usually does.

dayuum...........OWNED

nice one airjamie

When I said toys, I meant designer Toys ( Which I have Never payed more then $40 for) and if you looks at all the post here you don't see one logo. I don't see the point in $400 jeans but you don't find ripping up the Denim pages.

To play with your designer toys is like playing with your self, grab it and use you imagination

It's ok, time to move on

Guest Airjamie
When I said toys, I meant designer Toys ( Which I have Never payed more then $40 for) and if you looks at all the post here you don't see one logo. I don't see the point in $400 jeans but you don't find ripping up the Denim pages.

It's ok, time to move on

At least you can wear $400 denim. Just like you can drive a $200,000 car or you can eat a $90 steak. Appreciation or finer things comes from their use and the enrichment they lend to your everyday life. However, I was initially, as i still am, trying to figure out how exactly you use (i assume play with) these inarticulated pieces of plastic.

You can look at a $5,000,000 trophy wife.

What's the difference between that and these retarded toys?

Or better yet, you can own extra-extra-super-duper-harder-than-a-charizard Nikes and kEeP em Ds yO! while enjoying them.

I think it's a mixture between obssession/packratting/otakudom and enjoying the way the thing looks. You can also put it up on your mantle.

Guest Airjamie
You can look at a $5,000,000 trophy wife.

What's the difference between that and these retarded toys?.

Im pretty fucking sure most guys fuck their $5,000,000 trophy wife.

I like looking at stuff I find aesthetically pleasing. Are you also deriding pieces of sculpture and artwork as well?

I think heres where we get to the meat and potatoes of the issue. Why do you like looking at said art? Does it contain a subtextual significance that you believe lends some insight to our everyday state of existence? Do you believe it visually represents you or your thoughts/beliefs? If any of these then it functions in some way. I find it hard to believe anyone draws the same things from little lego dudes...

I don't think it gets any simpler than this: They are works of art (maybe not to you - but to the people that own them - yes.) Are you saying you do not own a single item that is used merely for aesthetics i.e. a painting/poster/photo..? I don't think this needs any more explanation.

Another thing you can do with these toys is stick them up your ass... except that soraanaam's tongue is already there.

I'm gonna leave this convo now and let you have the last word, because I know it is important to you. :)

Guest Airjamie
I don't think it gets any simpler than this: They are works of art (maybe not to you - but to the people that own them - yes.) Are you saying you do not own a single item that is used merely for aesthetics i.e. a painting/poster/photo..? I don't think this needs any more explanation.

I'm not saying i dont own them. But i damn sure dont PAY LOTS OF MONEY (or any money for that matter)for something that isnt either practically or artistically (defined above) useful.

Oh, missed these later bits:

...I think heres where we get to the meat and potatoes of the issue. Why do you like looking at said art? Does it contain a subtextual significance that you believe lends some insight to our everyday state of existence? Do you believe it visually represents you or your thoughts/beliefs? If any of these then it functions in some way. I find it hard to believe anyone draws the same things from little lego dudes...

Yes, the unshaven smoking turd is a powerful symbol representing several of my thoughts and beliefs, and thus has the function you describe.

Quoted for emphasis.

Good day. :)