shemaghs in los angeles

shagnscoob

I hope everyone starts to appropriate and wear these. EVERYONE! Except for me of course. I think Urban Outfitters is sellin' something that reminds me of a shemagh as "anti-war scarves".

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=26733&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=222&iSubCat=229&iProductID=26733

^^^honestly this has all been gone over before but all fashion is predicated on appropriation. if you don't like it, don't wear it, but don't knock it just because the people wearing it aren't from the original group.

i wear one sometimes, and believe me, it has nothing to do with scenesterdom. but i'm guessing from your (itsmeJT) slang that you're from the UK, and it's a whole different thing there than it is outside philadelphia.

i dont mind the whole boho indie look but i think people who wear shemaghs are the worst.

you're not arabic and chances are you're not near a desert. wearing one does not make you sophisticated, it just makes you an irritating scenester knobhead.

or maybe it can protect my neck from the cold and look a little bit different than every other scarf people rock.

ive never seen anyone in LA wearing one.

or maybe it can protect my neck from the cold and look a little bit different than every other scarf people rock.

ive never seen anyone in LA wearing one.

Wait, you've never seen anyone in LA wearing one? I only get up to LA from San Diego like a couple of times a year and I've seen several, and yes, always on a 'scenester,' as I believe is the going phrase.

I don't really care either way, I'm just saying.

I see a future where people can suggest that "you can never go wrong with a shemagh" and calling it a "classic and timeless" acessory.

Either that or I'm moving to the Middle East soon.

[quote=dry the rain;263070all fashion is predicated on appropriation.

it's a whole different thing there than it is outside philadelphia.

the first point is patently untrue, and the second point is foolish.

and, there's a difference between appropriation and misappropriation.

i can't decide if i hate well-off hipsters in shemaghs or white people with

dreads more.

[quote=onemancult;263567i can't decide if i hate well-off hipsters in shemaghs or white people with

dreads more.

Do you hate Arabs in Western suits? I can accept (and do) hating hipsters and white people with dreads (because they look shitty), but I think hating people for "misappropriating" pieces of another culture's fashion is ridiculous.

i don't think anything available at hot topic is pretentious

not trying to choose sides because im pretty neutral on this one, but theres plenty of people in waywt sporting sneakers that look like a retarded, color-blind 2 yr old threw up on them, as well as enough long-banged haircuts and chuck taylors to fill more than a few hot topics or urban outfitters.

if you can make something work and dont find yourself swimming in a sea of whatever it is then not much else matters

and as for people hating on others for wearing the things when they dont ACTUALY LIVE in the middle of the desert, thats just retarded, its fashion, not ultilitarianism, its just supposed to look good, not be practical. you dont go up to people wearing baseball caps nock 'em off their heads because they arent guarding first base do you?

so what about people who wear scarves when YOU dont think its cold enough to justify it? Or people who wear hats when YOU think theres not enough sun?

its all relative my man. Im tired of having plain scarves, and I think a shemagh would be a pretty sweet way to keep my neck from the wind chill.

If you wear skate shoes, and don't skate, I hate you.

If you wear basketball shoes, and don't ball, I hate you.

If you wear a watch, and don't have a job or go to school, I hate you.

If you wear a hat, and it's cloudy outside, I hate you.

If you buy organic food, and smoke cigarettes, I hate you.

If you celebrate Christmas, and don't go to church, I hate you.

Bla bla bla... etc. etc. etc...

Let's all fucking lighten up already.

I hope everyone starts to appropriate and wear these. EVERYONE! Except for me of course. I think Urban Outfitters is sellin' something that reminds me of a shemagh as "anti-war scarves".

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=26733&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=222&iSubCat=229&iProductID=26733

i saw these online then i saw them in person in one of their stores, i found it ridiculous that they would market it as an "anti-war" scarf. ironic actually, since urban's owner is a huge republican donor. anything to make a quick buck though rite ?

also the pattern was off, i personally own a shemagh that i bought in the middle east and the quality is much better.

i mean an aqua blue shemagh ? (sold by Urban) cmon ... and also to incite less controversy i think they changed up the typical red/white shemagh into an all red one... ridiculous..

personally it takes a lot for me to stop wearing something just because other people start wearing it, i don't care that much...

my sister told me that urban is carrying them now, and even though i've faithfully rocked my black and red proforces for the last two winters it looks like i'm going to have to throw them in a drawer for a couple years while the heat passes.

fucking urban outfitters.

fucking frenchie. :D

Have you bought them yet? I don't think any of this this hate applies to the OP unless you actually wear said scarf and it doesn't work out.

A friend of mine bought me some krama from cambodia and I love how it keeps my neck warm in the winter and but also allows my neck to breathe. I imagine shemaghs do this also as alot of countries nearer to the equator have need for breathability in their clothing. So as a sometime sweaty person who walks home late nights, living in an often sunny, often windchilly area of southern cali I'm all for the shemagh functionally.

I bought a green keffiyeh in the spring and even though I think it's a smart look, I'm leery about wearing it now, they're so over-exposed. Even here in Japan you see them more and more. Next spring I'm just going to wear a white sweat towel knotted around my neck, Osaka delivery-man style. Talk about functionality! Look for it late next summer on the Cobrasnake.

• 2 months later...

not to dig this dead thread back up...but does anyone know where i could purchase a similiar shamegh as this one:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q143/typhDD/Daily%20Looks/2007_02_28009.jpg

it looks like a mix of the alexander mcqueen scarf and a shamegh, i think it looks great....any ideas guys? and btw...your opinions about being played out in LA...true? ive honestly never seen people rock it in LA (online i see tons of pictures, in person, no)