Any watch enthusiasts out there?

Analyst

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote: anyone have any experience with aeromatic watches?

I have an aeromatic, it's a nice looking watch. The band is pretty good quality and the crown is nice and big. It's an automatic and wind up so that's a nice feature, but it's a cheap movement, upon closer inspection I see plastic on the sides of the movement so it is a very low end automatic. For the price it's not a bad looking watch.

www.youngestincharge.com

www.opticalweapons.com

Edited by vinz on Nov 6, 2005 at 12:55 PM

Edited by vinz on Nov 6, 2005 at 01:03 PM

I don't think the reply button worked properly, the post in regards to the light on a watch I was replying to the image of the Casio Calculator watch and my reference to a cheap movement is in regards to my Aeromatic watch. I fixed the posts, sorry for the confusion.

I own lots of "Poor Man's Watches" (www.pmwf.com), I don't own anything high end. I like the idea of trying different watch types so that I can decide in the future what high end watch to buy. After getting a Chronograph watch I decided that it's not for me, I like the looks of big cases but after getting a watch with a big case I decided that something smaller would be better suited for me.

BTW Serge I like that Sinn watch, where did you get such a great deal on it if you don't mind me asking?

www.youngestincharge.com

www.opticalweapons.com

Edited by vinz on Nov 6, 2005 at 12:57 PM

Edited by vinz on Nov 6, 2005 at 01:08 PM

That Poljot is a great looking watch. As far as Russian watches goes, Poljot and Vostok seems to have a big following.

I'm not sure about the quality first hand but from what I read Poljot watches are pretty good watches.

Here's a dedicated forum that I lurk at in regards to Poljot's

http://www.watchuseek.com/poljotforum/

www.youngestincharge.com

www.opticalweapons.com

I have a titanium Citizen that I've worn for 15.5 years now and only maintenance I've done is changing the battery a handful of times. One little metal piece on the wristband is about to give up and I'm desperately trying to find the part. I've emailed Citizen but never got a reply. Does anyone know where I can find spare parts for titanium Citizen (European market) watches that were made in 1990?

Join me at:

http://www.mynudies.com - Nudie Jeans Community

http://www.denimspy.com - Denim Jeans Forum

http://www.burnforum.com - Digital Music Burning Forum

anyone know anything about maurice lacroix?

I'm looking for a gift for my wife - and while shopping around came across the brand... not a bad price for an automatic watch, and its got that cool clear back so you can see everything going on in there...

just curious if they're reliable, precise, etc... style-wise, it was a nice clean watch.

No Shirt. No Shoes. No Dice.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

The Langes are nice but diabolically expensive. Also, they tend to be a bit small by current standards. People who like the austere Germanic look should also have a look at Glasshute Original, Union, Muelle, Junghans, etc. I would also add that fine mechanical watches like these are a bit delicate -- you don't want to go bashing them around while skateboarding.

Quote:

Trinket, thanks for the reply. I tried on the Royal Oak Offshore Rubberclad in Hong Kong and have been obsessed over it ever since. The issue of course is the price tag. I currently wear an Rolex Explorer II and an IWC Pilot Fliegerchrono on strap and wanted a new non-rolex sport watch. I think most Panerais use pretty basic ETA movements as foundations (reissued 1950 uses rolex movement) and then modify them. THe submersible uses the same movement as my IWC Fliegerchrono (ETA Valjoux 7750, I think) as the base since there's a second hand at the nine o'clock position and a date at the three o'clock position.

Since the AP is probably impractical at this movement, the Submersible (Pam 25 or 199) seems to be the best option. I just can't help but wonder if Panerais are just a fad right now. Any thoughts about this? A few months ago, I went to Bangkok with the hopes of buying the watch at a cheaper price but they were all sold out and you needed to get on a wait list for the watch. Seems like Panerai and ROlex and the only watches where you have to pay close to full retail price compared to large discounts with other watch brands (IWC, Jaeger, etc.)

Other watches....

I love the new Portuguese with the 7 day proprietary movement. The new IWC Ingenieur looks appealing especially the AMG addition. It's oversized too at 42mm.

Saw the Jaeger Master Compressors in Bangkok and really liked the World Time watch, but it seems still a little dressy.

Kinda generic but I do like the green Rolex Submariner.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

--- Original message by Analyst on Apr 13, 2005 07:52 PM

Some other ideas:

Ulysse Nardin Marine Chronometer, fairly "cheap" and cheerful.

I'd seriously consider an Omega Seamaster with Co-Axial movement, failing which a

Speedmaster Professional would do just as well, if only for the pedigree. Try to find a limited edition with white face, very rare. Don't get the automatic non-professional Speedmasters, though.

A Breitling Chrono Avenger, pure titanium goodness and thick as well to satisfy your Arnold "Girly Man" cravings. Ubiquitous Valjoux movement though.

You can't go wrong with a JLC Master Compressor in steel bracelet, for that sporty look. 100% inhouse movement, and one of the grandfathers of the major Swiss houses.

A Zenith El Primero, purveyors of the original Rolex Daytona movement.

Good luck.

Edited by Lex2 on Nov 7, 2005 at 06:18 AM

Edited by Lex2 on Nov 7, 2005 at 06:19 AM

Quote:

Trinket, thanks for the reply. I tried on the Royal Oak Offshore Rubberclad in Hong Kong and have been obsessed over it ever since. The issue of course is the price tag. I currently wear an Rolex Explorer II and an IWC Pilot Fliegerchrono on strap and wanted a new non-rolex sport watch. I think most Panerais use pretty basic ETA movements as foundations (reissued 1950 uses rolex movement) and then modify them. THe submersible uses the same movement as my IWC Fliegerchrono (ETA Valjoux 7750, I think) as the base since there's a second hand at the nine o'clock position and a date at the three o'clock position.

Since the AP is probably impractical at this movement, the Submersible (Pam 25 or 199) seems to be the best option. I just can't help but wonder if Panerais are just a fad right now. Any thoughts about this? A few months ago, I went to Bangkok with the hopes of buying the watch at a cheaper price but they were all sold out and you needed to get on a wait list for the watch. Seems like Panerai and ROlex and the only watches where you have to pay close to full retail price compared to large discounts with other watch brands (IWC, Jaeger, etc.)

Other watches....

I love the new Portuguese with the 7 day proprietary movement. The new IWC Ingenieur looks appealing especially the AMG addition. It's oversized too at 42mm.

Saw the Jaeger Master Compressors in Bangkok and really liked the World Time watch, but it seems still a little dressy.

Kinda generic but I do like the green Rolex Submariner.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

--- Original message by Analyst on Apr 13, 2005 07:52 PM

Analyst, how much was the rubber clad (S/S, I presume?) in Hong Kong, if you still remember? I heard Hong Kong was cheaper compared to rest of Asia.

I remembered trying on the rose hold version of rubber clad a few weeks ago, here in Jakarta when AP launched some events in the Ritz. IMO it's definately in a class of its own. But price wise, the boutique here is pretty unreasonable.

F*ck Fashion

Quote:

The old military style watches are cool. If you can't afford the Panerai, check out Anonimo, they make some cool watches and they used to be affiliated with Panerai so I think they use the same movements but I could be wrong. I picked up this bad boy:

http://www.oris.ch/images/watches/classic/miles_chrono/large/675_7532_40_61_MB.jpg

Sometimes I think it is way too flashy and way too big but I still like it. It is a good quality watch and it feels solid. Worth checking out.

--- Original message by notorius on Nov 5, 2005 05:45 PM

From what I know was that Panerai was initially made in Italy when it was still a military secret.

When the Vendome Group (Cartier) took over in the mid nineties, they moved the production to Swiss, and left the workers from the initial factory jobless (including Mario Paci, Dino Zei etc).

Therefore, these people who initially made Panerai watches, start making watch known now as Anonimo.

For those who wants a good military watch, get a R.X.W. It's a Panerai based watch with the same ETA pocket watch movement!

F*ck Fashion

Quote:

anyone know anything about maurice lacroix?

I'm looking for a gift for my wife - and while shopping around came across the brand... not a bad price for an automatic watch, and its got that cool clear back so you can see everything going on in there...

just curious if they're reliable, precise, etc... style-wise, it was a nice clean watch.

--- Original message by Music for the Masses on Nov 7, 2005 12:02 AM

I think they are just fashion watches, that will fade away with the trend.

Movement wise, I think they are using what most watch companies are using, and that is ETA.

F*ck Fashion

Eodlover,

THe retail price for the rubberclad AP went up this January to around 18K. In Hong Kong the AD are selling it for around 12-13K. There are a couple of unauthorized dealers that seem reputable based on feedback from other buyers and sellers. I've seen available through these channels for around 10K-11K. I just got back from Singapore and saw the Safari, which is SS white faced with a great leather strap for 14K.

A lot of watches in the 4-5K range use ETA movements including Bell and Ross and IWC. Panerai also use this movement but are able to sell watches on excellent marketing and limited supply (authorized dealers in BKK and singapore are completely cleaned out and you have to get on a waiting list). I think it's still up in the air on whether or not Panerai is just a fashion trend right now.

Saw a JLC Master Geographic that might be might next purchase. I dont like the strap too much but loved the rest of the watch. JLC is one of the few that make their own proprietary movements along with Rolex, Vacheron Constantin, Patek, and AP.

I wouldn't go with the Maurice Laxroix. If its a gift for the wife get a quartz watch. I doubt she'll appreciate the details of mechanical movements. Plus, women tend to change their watches according to what they wear just like purses. Most automatics have 40hr power reserves (Patek makes a 10day and IWC has a 7day but are priced over 10K.) For her, get a Cartier. She'll love it.

music for the masses : I have a Maurice Lacroix of 7 years now. That watch is very reliable, not a single problem! I would advice you to get it if she appreciates good watches, or get one for yourself even.

Man I'd love a Pano from Glashutte, especially that flying Tourbillon.

Edited by superposition on Nov 7, 2005 at 08:02 AM

Quote:

Eodlover,

THe retail price for the rubberclad AP went up this January to around 18K. In Hong Kong the AD are selling it for around 12-13K. There are a couple of unauthorized dealers that seem reputable based on feedback from other buyers and sellers. I've seen available through these channels for around 10K-11K. I just got back from Singapore and saw the Safari, which is SS white faced with a great leather strap for 14K.

A lot of watches in the 4-5K range use ETA movements including Bell and Ross and IWC. Panerai also use this movement but are able to sell watches on excellent marketing and limited supply (authorized dealers in BKK and singapore are completely cleaned out and you have to get on a waiting list). I think it's still up in the air on whether or not Panerai is just a fashion trend right now.

Saw a JLC Master Geographic that might be might next purchase. I dont like the strap too much but loved the rest of the watch. JLC is one of the few that make their own proprietary movements along with Rolex, Vacheron Constantin, Patek, and AP.

I wouldn't go with the Maurice Laxroix. If its a gift for the wife get a quartz watch. I doubt she'll appreciate the details of mechanical movements. Plus, women tend to change their watches according to what they wear just like purses. Most automatics have 40hr power reserves (Patek makes a 10day and IWC has a 7day but are priced over 10K.) For her, get a Cartier. She'll love it.

--- Original message by Analyst on Nov 7, 2005 07:31 AM

10k is a reasonable price.

Regarding Panerai, in my opinion, it has a huge fan base; similar to Harley Davidson. They even have a website, called Paneristi.com where collectors could buy/sell, find out stuffs etc.

F*ck Fashion

Thanks for the advice : eodlover, Analyst, and superposition

I think this sums up my thinking nicely...

Quote: I wouldn't go with the Maurice Laxroix. If its a gift for the wife get a quartz watch. I doubt she'll appreciate the details of mechanical movements. Plus, women tend to change their watches according to what they wear just like purses. Most automatics have 40hr power reserves (Patek makes a 10day and IWC has a 7day but are priced over 10K.) For her, get a Cartier. She'll love it.

I think I'll keep on looking for another mechanical watch for myself though.... icon_smile.gif

No Shirt. No Shoes. No Dice.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

For sure no. Those watches are not mine.....pics are from a watch forums online that I frequent.

I'm just a kid.....lol.

Langes go all the way up to 40k ea.

The Lange Datograph is actually a huge watch, if your looing for an oversized.

And no, if I had one I would DEF. not go skateboarding with it......ridiculous.

For your wife I would suggest the Patek Philippe Twenty~4

patphiltwenh7od.gif

Patek is the best watchmaker in my opinion, and this watch is really nice.

If your looking in the panerai/JLC price range, this patek isn't that expensive.

I think you can get one for under 8k

I really like this watch

Lange 1815 flyback chrono

front0vt.jpg

Depht...

Quote:

I'm all over panerais lately...something about that watch just calls out to me..unlike a lot of other watches..paneristi.com is a great site as is timezone.com

I'm thinking about getting either a PAM 113 or the PAM 112 pretty soon..

any thoughts on these, panerai owners?

--- Original message by triniboy27 on Nov 7, 2005 10:02 AM

If you have already narrowed down your selection between 112 and 113, I'd say a 112. There are more demand for the black dial in case of you selling the watch in the future. And I think the black dial just look so much better. With the exception of PAM 188 compared to 196 of course.

However, if you are still open to any ideas, I'd say get a 111 or a 005 logo. Because in my case, I'd need a second hand.

F*ck Fashion

That Patek twenty-4 really looks like a Cartier dont you think?

I prefer the lange 1 over the flyback, and despite my liking, I dont know if I'd be willing to spend over 20gs for a watch!?!

Anyone likes Chronoswiss? That's a German watch maker by the way. Many nice watches, but kinda dwarfed by my Panerai when I tried em on.