New clothes shop....

Christiaan

Hello everyone, I have just come across this forum and thought it was pretty cool..

I am just opening a new clothes shop in Newcastle, England so just wanted to know what everyone thought of the brands...my shop is open in 2 weeks and is called End.

Our brands are:

MHI by Maharishi

WoodWood by woodwood, copenhagen

Henrik Vibskov

Levis Blue

Surface2air

Adam Lemmer

Mazooka, by the Best Store, Berlin

Gasius

Tonite (but not Silas)

New Balance

Plek

I Am

Call of the Wild

Merlin

Sergio Tacchinni

Others that I am thinking of are Acronym and Umbro by Kim Jones, if anyone has any other cool ideas and links to where i can see there clothes that would be really great.

Also we are trying to get a Nike quickstrike account but we are finding it really hard to contatc Nike...

Gonna sell some magazines as well, dazed and confused, vice and sleave nation..anyone get any other ideas for cool mags?

Any input would be cool...trying to do something a bit different so any ideas appreciated

Thanks,

Christiaan...

btw where is everyone from?

hi christiaan, try to get made magazine or huge. thought they are pretty cool. why don't you get levi's red as well? MHI is cool. how about duffer or 5ep? but again, i think it depends on what market are you focusing on. are you going for denim, or street or what?

acronym website : www.acronym.de, but they are not selling anything at the moment. instead check www.the-glade.com, they have some preview of the coming items from acronym.

btw i reside in NY

Hey Christiaan - looks like you've got a lot of nice brands already!

For extra brands though - definitely get Umbro by Kim Jones! Bernhard Willhelm, Comme Des Garçons, Helle Mardahl (if you like the whole Vibskov/woodwood thing) - http://www.hellemardahl.com/ (even if the most recent collection hasn't been added to her website) , Y-3 etc. etc. etc.

Good luck!

Good luck with the new shop Christiaan, if I'm in the area I'll definitely drop in (I'm writing this in Manchester).

Is it your first go at something like this (running a shop) or have you done similar before? Any brief words of wisdom/advice to someone who's seriously thinking of having a stab at it as well?

Cheers...

Thanks man..

Yeah this is my first time of trying to run my own clothes shop (I am only 22 years old - but I am doing it with a friend/ business partner so am not on my own!!), but never done anything similar before (never even worked ina clothes shop)!

words of wisdom? hmmm...what I have found is that everything costs twice as much as you think so you need to get alot of money saved up! secondly beware of surveyors when you come to lease a property in a city centre as they will try and rip you off. finally if your serious about doing get along to all the trade shows....bread and butter in berlin and barcalona is a good one to, as is To be confirmed in london.

But definitly go for it if your heart is in it and you think it can work....im not even open yet, but it has been the hardest working 6 months of my life...everyday there is new problems to overcome that you would never believe, but if it works it will all be worth it!! im not even doing it for the money at the moment its just something ive always wanted to do and as long as i can just about break even it will be cool.

Kelim - are you from Copenhagen? I love that city its really cool..everything is dead friendly and nice...love all things woodwood and vibskov. i really like kim jones, but another shop in my city already has it so this has meant weve had trouble getting it.

do you shop in woodwood?

The woodwood line is really tight stuff, it is getting a little to "popular" in denmark, actually the whole indie thing is far out, a little too "wanted" without reason today.

But definitely take it out in the world, it is really def, truely def.

LVC?

ready to decieve, recieve, overpower / loving someone is to believe, to relieve, slow shower/she is bathing/ love her needs her like fur/

Yes Christiaan, I'm from Copenhagen - and yes I do a fair bit of shopping in WoodWood :) As is said, the woodwood brand has gotten a little too popular here in copenhagen, but they do amazing stuff and should definitely be exposed more internationally. The other brands they carry are also very cool though, so the shop is really a favourite!

Looks good...

Anyone know where to get WoodWood online?

I'm on a Euro tip these days...

"He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name. This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666" (Rev. 13:16-18).

Yo...

The shop is on Highbridge street right in the very centre of Newcastle (4-6 Highbridge, Newcastle, NE1 1EN)

The web address is www.endclothing.co.uk (at the moment there is just a competition that Crack magazine were running for us though)..

Edventually on that site there will be a web shop selling wood wood...not sure where else online you can buy it...maybe some scandinavian sites?

• 4 weeks later...

Yo...

We are open now! Things are going OK. Just waiting for a few deliveries (Toys, Sneakers etc..).

We are starting a mailing list, so people can get our exxlusive stuff before we put it in the shop. First thing is 10 Ltd Gasius Tees coming this week. Drop me an email if you want to be on the list...!

[email protected]

[email protected]

(RedFoxxworth - You can buy WoodWood off us, if you like any of the peices we have. Let me know if you are interested, and i will sort something out.)

peace.

Edited by Christiaan on May 5, 2005 at 01:01 AM

Its something chirs and I have wanted to do for a few years now. They around last November we started looking into it more seriously. Luckily we already have the money available to make it all happen. So it was really jsut a case of deciding exacly what we wanted to go for, and find a suitable property.

We looked around and found a cool property, and negotiated rent etc. Then we set about finding exactly what lables we wanted, and our shop image. At the min the shop is 50:50 street:fashion, as you can tell my the lables. We will probably keep it like that, but with a slightly more street edge. We visited trade shows, other countires etc to find the best brands. Everyone was very helpful, and we met some great people (Guys @ WoodWood, Merlin, Russell from Gassius, Adam Lemmer, the Plek guys etc etc...).

Getting the property into a fit state was one of the hardest things. It was a mess when we took it over, so it needed alot of time and money to get it looking good. You wouldnt believe the before and after pics i have!

Securing account with some big brands has been hard (Nike, Levis etc). Andweare still working on some of them.

It is possible, but it takes alot of hard work, and drive. We still havent made it, as we have to keep pushing for our Levis account, Nike account, NB account, adidas account, improving the store, building our toy range, magazines amongst other things. and sell some clothes!

Hi Christiaan,

There are some cool brands out there that I came across in my various explorations:

Hummel (http://www.hummel.dk) - Revitalised sports brand that's coming out with an aesthetic that combines Adidas with Walter Beirendonck. Speaking of which...

Walter Beirendonck (www.waltervanbeirendonck.com) - King of kitch. 'nuff said.

Bless (www.bless.de) - Not sure if it fits ur store, but they come with AMAZING stuff.

As for mags:

Marmalade (http://www.marmalademag.com/) - Brilliant stuff. Making a buzz in the scene with abundant amount of creativity.

Good for Nothing (http://www.goodfornothingmag.com/) - Another lifestyle mag that's getting props. Damn funny and damn good. Check out the site.

A little contribution from meself. All the best man, always excited when a new kick-ass store opens with kick-ass gear.

Pleasure.

The latest issue of jcreport.com has an article on the latest lifestyle mags, u can prob get some ideas there as well, including that of fashion, since they focus on the latest trends and cutting edge labels.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

I would quite like stussy, its a solid brand, with a good following here. There is already one stussy account here though. Although they dont have all the bits i have seen in London....so maybe...

Kim Jones' own stuff wouldnt sell here i dont think. Its hard enough with our brands, which arent even that out there.... :(

Nike.....they are difficult! We have been trying to get in touch for ages, but like you say, its not easy. All i want is some trainers! how hard can it be!!!!

Demin is causing us problems too. We might have to look elsewear, as Leivs is proving difficult to contact/get. Pretty much all other denim is covered here though....so its tough. (i would like Edwin/Nudie, but there are already accounts....). Any recomendations welcome. (PRPS are too expensive...)

okay christiaan,

you should attempt tp push for Kim Jones x Umbro, Undercover, APC(!!), but in addition, i also find it impressive that particular stores can mix street/high fashion brands with vintage clothing, purging from certain vintage clothes that are very in tune with styles seen on various runways......

magazines: self service, Blow Up, and more of a concentration of obscure magazine's rather than the obvious