How to not shrink your raw denims after the "long wear"

khoiphan92

>_>

I'll behave and answer this for you real quick, before the wolves descend.

It depends. If you have sanforized denim, they will shrink, but not too much. Sanforization is a technique that reduces shrinkage, if you hadn't caught that. If you have un-sanforized denim, they will shrink dramatically.

Now, the colder the water, the less the shrink. Heat=shrink. Heat also=indigo loss. Turn them inside out when you wash them and while they're drying (at the damp stage) pull the bejesus out of them so that you stretch them as much as possible.

All in all, denim is fabric and it will shrink. How much depends on those factors (and probably others).

They're denim. They're going to shrink if you get them wet, plain and simple. Unsanforized denim is going to be a large shrink. Taking a bath with them on is not going to prevent them from shrinking, it will just prevent them from shrinking past the point that your body allows them to.

i see... i suppose i can take a 3 min cold shower with them on and then start wiping like crazy with a towel?

My head just exploded. You're missing the point. Water is wet. Wet is going to cause denim fibers to constrict. Constricting is shrinking. Drying them quickly will not reverse the effects of wetness. Wiping like crazy with a towel will give you a very blue towel.

I'm beginning to think this is a horrible joke.

how will dry cleaning them be any different.

Let's examine the evidence:

1. Water is wet. Remember?

2. Wet makes denim go shrinky shrinky. This is no beuno for you.

3. Dry cleaning is, by definition, cleaning with a dry method. Not wet. No wet results in what? Raise your hands...yes, you. Correct, no wet means no shrinky.

What have we learned today class? That my patience is much better than I thought.

dumb question.. but r u guys talkin about length or width shrinkage... im tryna shrink the width of my jeans with minimal length shrinkage. after reading tons of threads i THINK the best method is hot soak it with water only and pull on them for a few hours... am i right?????