UC's, etc.

violetsareblue

youre not making it into cornell.

hahahaha. Golden. I'd recommend against usc. I just hate the idea of being "trapped" within a campus. If you want to go the LA route, I'd recommend something else, but for that matter, I don't know if I'd even recommend the la route. UCLA is gorgeous, but, still I don't know.

LA sucks unless you really live there. It's made for driving in so I would get a car, especially because public transportation in la SUCKS SO FUCKING BAD.

cornell has the highest suicide rate of any school in USA, except NYU. Its in the middle of NOWHERE.

UCs are the shit. but they are huge, totally different from cornell. depends what you wanna study really.

depends what you wanna study really.

Cosign on this. What are you studying/majoring in? This should inform your decision about which school(s) is/are best for you. Why did you choose the schools listed above? I think its a bad idea to pick schools based on prestige (of name)/good location/party rep/etc.

Or maybe fuck all that and just follow Carl's advice and then start looking into appying for schools.

Actually, everyone should denounce god regardless of what they're doing.

about 3.8 gpa and from really hard highschool but i have really really good extracurriculars

lookin for university with good psychology, music, business, but more importantly, a large school with a broader range of majors in case i find something i like better

dont be a pussy

listen to my advice

about 3.8 gpa and from really hard highschool but i have really really good extracurriculars

lookin for university with good psychology, music, business, but more importantly, a large school with a broader range of majors in case i find something i like better

Unless you are a California resident, it might not be worth it for you to go to a UC. I went to UCLA and paid about $13k a year while some of my out of state friends paid about $25k a year for tuition and books alone (basically near the cost of most private schools). Also, I have to echo what other folks are saying, UCs are huuuuuge. Most of my classes had about 200 people. Some campuses like Santa Cruz, Merced and Riverside are smaller, but they are all out in the middle of nowhere.

Before you pick schools, figure out some basic things that you want in the school. Do you want to go to a big school or a small school? Is location important to you? Do you want a more research oriented or practical / job oriented type of school, etc...

As far as majors go, it's not that important to have a specific one picked out because most people do change their major but it might be good to have a general idea of what you want to do.

I went to undergrad at U of I Urbana Champaign...got a double major in Economics & Spanish. It was a good school, and has some amazing honors options. The town of Urbana-Champaign is pretty boring, but campustown is decent (much better than where I am now), with quite a few good restaurants. There's really no shopping, but Chicago is two and a half hours away if you are desperate. Feel free to PM if you have questions...

• 4 months later...
hi i'm new here, and i have a quick question

i'm applying to a couple universities: UC's, USC, Cornell, Northwestern, Rice, University of Illionois Urbana Champ.

i havent done a whole lot of research, but whats ur opinions on these schools?

depends on which UC school you goto...i mean LA, SD, Berkley are good choices btu the rest arent really anything notable (no offence to any of u guys)...but if you want more of an academic education...then Cornell and Rice are good...especially if you wanna go into music, Rice would be good, but if you want to gain some experience in living in the city and experiencing a variety of culture, then goto a school in a city.

• 1 month later...

My bros at UCR, its not a fun school. Theres not much to do outside of class, except for crazy-ass parties in the hills. But crazy shit goes down out there. Like stabbings and shit. It's not in a nice neighborhood. The chancellor just got traded to Purdue, well not so much traded but left for Purdue, and all the professors are quitting because the administration is shit. Even though it's building a new medical school, the dorms are supersmall and the entire campus has been under construction for 3 years. And theres no expected date of completion. Save yourself the 55 bucks, and don't apply there. Put it towards your next denim purchase. Or towards the drugs you SHOULD be getting into right now.

You'll love UCR if you like to gamble, do drugs and party with locals at the Moreno Valley mall.

But on a more serious note, UCR is located in the buttfuck regions of the Inland Empire, which has one of the highest rates of meth users in the So Cal region. Asides from the occasional hookers on University Ave, my friends pulled it together by making 50 minute drives back to LA, doing drugs at Joshua Tree, gambling at the local Indian reservations, and midnight Tijuana runs.

As long as you make some good friends and avoid the Greek scene, you'll survive.

Go to Alaska and try and get a job as a fisherman, when you use up your luck get a job as a roughneck for a while, travel the world. Wake up one day in your mid 20s knowing that working with your brain beats the fuck out of working with your back. That will keep you focused when you study.

I heard the area around the immediate vicinity of UCLA isn't the greatest, but what do I know?

But for UCSD, it's really in one of the best locations in San Diego. It's right next to (or in) one of the richest cities in California, La Jolla. Everyone and their mother drives a bentley or ferarri in that city. Def. not in a boring location either. Some say it's paradise. It's also just a short drive away from downtown.

LOL... UCR definitely isn't that bad.

What that guy from page 1 said about meth usage and whatnot is probably true though, hahahahahaha.

Oh and it is in a buttfuck area of the inland empire. if you have A.D.D, and you dont have a car, you're so dead here.

And yeah, the chancellor is going to Perdue... too bad, because she actually did A LOT for the school...

Anyways, it's definitely not a scary place unless youre walking alone at 2AM.

Okay, I may have exaggerated a tiny bit, but it's not my top choice, because they didn't have my program/major, so I'm heading up to CalPolySLO in the fall. But some of it was true. I don't have a problem with asians, and there are a substantial amount, but I can't stand the bros. That side of Riverside, by campus, is crawling with bros. Because it's practically MoVal.

I heard the area around the immediate vicinity of UCLA isn't the greatest, but what do I know?

UCLA is in the middle of Bel Air, Brentwood, and Santa Monica. Cost of living in this area is extremely high, especially for college students, but it's definitely a very nice place.