Bicyclettes

canice

I read this thread a bit around the beginning, but now its blown out to 100 pages, so I dont want to sift through them all

"search this thread" function

Once I get my hands on said bike, how do I go about converting the running gear?

strip off the extraneous crap like shifters and derailleurs, buy single-stack crank bolts, and shorten your chain

Do I need to buy a new fixed hub and get a mech to put it on, or do I mod the existing hub myself?

safe: new hub laced to new or existing rim

not so safe: rotafix a cog to your existing hub

The extent of my bike knowledge is basic maintenance of my hybrid and bmx's back in the day, i dont know much else. Guess i can learn as i go

in any case, you're miles ahead as far as knowledge goes, compared to the nubs in this thread. www.sheldonbrown.com and www.parktool.com/repair

"search this thread" function

strip off the extraneous crap like shifters and derailleurs, buy single-stack crank bolts, and shorten your chain

safe: new hub laced to new or existing rim

not so safe: rotafix a cog to your existing hub

in any case, you're miles ahead as far as knowledge goes, compared to the nubs in this thread. www.sheldonbrown.com and www.parktool.com/repair

Canice, wouldnt the rotafix method be dangerous only if you are riding brakeless? i would imagine that if you are riding with a front, possibly even a rear brake it wouldnt be such a risk, right?

Alright kids...I am a lucky dude who picked up a Saronni track bike TODAY.

Spec:

Columbus Tubing, wiht cutout in lugs and BB

Suntour Hub 28 spokes laced to tub rims,

Cranks - NO IDEA..someone identify them for me.

Cinelli Stem and track bar

Saddle - I have no idea also

Pic:

biketrack001.jpg

biketrack004.jpg

biketrack003.jpg

Cheer,

Dub

wheelset - miche primato pista hubs, handbuilt to velocity razors with dt swiss double butted spokes. three cross rear, 2-leading-2-trailing front. cartridge bearings, eyeletted rims, perfectly true. rear has never seen a brake, front's braking surface is in excellent condition.

crankset - stronglight track 170mm, 48t ring. light, stiff, and pretty. installed on a shimano un-73 BB, the gold standard for economical performance.

tires - bontrager hardcase 23c. rediculously durable. back one was put on recently.

cog - surly 17t. and a miche lockring.

brake - ultegra 6600. fresh pads. can install a rear instead or as well, if that's your bag.

bars - profile designs air wing bullhorns. fresh cinelli tape that matches the frame paintjob. OR, i'll throw on some standard road drops with whatever brake lever you want it for the cost of bar tape, or crazypants deep, narrow, angular drop bars that are guaranteed to draw envious stares from the messengers, but you can't run a brake with them so it won't be included.

pedals - early 80s shimano clip-n-straps. smooth bearings, large steel clips (can trade for small if you like), leather straps, classy.

frame - alpha mercury. yes, it's notoriously cheap. think of it as a theft deterrent. the frame's actually decent geometry. 4130 cromo steel, same as they use for surly and IRO frames.

oh, and there's a chrome skull on the rear brake bridge. you know you want it.

^^^

Craigslist ad, I moved cross-country and need a new bike...

How does that sound? I really don't know anything about the components... what would a fair price be for it?

Thank goodness for that. Don't NJS rims mean you need to run tubeless tires anyway? Doesn't seem practical for the street IMO.

I won't even get into the practicality of riding a Keirin bike on the street; but I ride sew ups and know quite a few riders who do as well. Just be sure to keep a glued spare tucked under your saddle and a small CO2 pump in your bag. It's a shame that so many people write them off so quickly, they really aren't too terribly expensive.

Though I really should mention that my advice comes with the caveat that while I do ride brakeless I rarely skid and will be getting a drilled fork and front brake by the month's end.

what method are you trying now? i don't understand people who can't get grips on. i smashed an oury onto riser bars totally dry.

use hairspray or gel hand sanitizer.