Bicyclettes

canice

^I thought about building a single, but then I thought 'WTH my road bike is great'. Can only ride one bike at a time anyway...

yeah, just ride whatever you like. it's just that all the wrong kids are getting into fixed gears just cause everyone else has one. they buy a fixed gear, and just set it down in the room or garage and just let it sit there. like ride the damn bike...

yeah, just ride whatever you like. it's just that all the wrong kids are getting into fixed gears just cause everyone else has one. they buy a fixed gear, and just set it down in the room or garage and just let it sit there. like ride the damn bike...

calm down. stop hating. go ride your bike.

no need for fixie justification!

just realised the bike shop who built up my bike had my stem upside down! i knew something looked off... anyways sorted and far more comfortable now!

as much as i love riding fixed, i'll be looking into getting a road bike sometime soon...

Thinking about losing the drops off my Windsor for maybe some north road type bars from mike's or velo orange.

If I was going to supplement this purchase with a new brooks, would I be alright with the b 17 or would I be so upright with commuter bars that I would need to go up to the b67?

Don't know too much about bikes, but can anyone suggest decent touring bikes under $1300?

Trying to set up a trip down the east coast with a couple friends this summer, and need a bike that can handle 50+ lbs on the frame and panniers, but still be light enough that I can use it as my main road bike for regular rides.

Side question: would I need a specific type of read tire to handle that weight? Like one that's especially thick or large? Or would stock tires be fine?

I did some searching and came up with two different bikes. The Trek 520 and the Salso Fargo.

The Trek 520 is in your price range going from around $1000-$1300. The reviews are awesome on the 520 and people seem to really enjoy this bike over other bikes.

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-50156.html

For Salsa, they make great touring bicycles but they might a bit out of your price range. I know you said your budget is under $1300, but going over $1300 might be worth it. Take a look at the Salsa Fargo here:

http://www.salsacycles.com/fargoComp09.html

And the bike is also very versatile and unique. just read it up here:

http://twentynineinches.com/2009/06/10/salsa-cycles-fargo-conclusions/

Pricing can go anywhere from $1500-$2000 i believe.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?ID=92840

And i believe tires 700 x 25 or 700 x 28 should do it.. Correct me if i'm wrong

Hope I helped haha

you can build a surly long haul trucker with a really solid wheelset and group for about that. those things will go to hell and back.

^ This. There are a ton of tire options you can choose from. A 28-32 will give you a lot of comfort over a loaded long trip.

Universal Cycles offers a complete Surly LHT for a decent price. Code VIP15 gets you 15% off purchases over $300

just bugs when i know people that just get a fixed gear, to have a fied gear. It's almost like the 'hypebeast' trend.

who the fuck cares? their money, they can buy what they want...lol. hype or not, I still love riding my fixed... and the garage is the last place is stays.

just bugs when i know people that just get a fixed gear, to have a fied gear. It's almost like the 'hypebeast' trend.

Unless you're a hardcore messenger in the city or have been hitting the velodrome for years, I would bet a pretty penny you fall into this category too. Fuck out of here with that wannabe elitist attitude. Nudies are pretty hypebeast, dude.

As for touring bikes - CL almost always has cheap gems complete with panniers and shit for under $500. Depending on your area, I guess - YMMV

I think the Van Dessel has a derailler hanger. So in that case, yes.

Or you could use an internal geared hub on whatever frame you wish.

I raced for a team that was fairly heavily 'sponsored' by Van Dessel (I think we got better pro deal prices than any other amateur unit that rode for them) and own quite a few. If you are talking about the Drag Strip Courage, their track specific bike, it DOES NOT have a der. hanger. The All Systems Go, their TT frame, has horizontal dropouts ("fixie" friendly) but, I wouldn't use that frame as a beat around (doing ill "fixie" tricks and such) unless you were riding gingerly on it. Only one side of the dropouts has a reinforced sleeve. The ballin' Country Road Bob, on the other hand, can be set up fixed, free, geared with a der. or with a Rohloff or other internall geared hub. This is because it has what is called an eccentric bottom bracket. Chain tension, an important "fixie" and singlespeed parameter, is set by a combination of chain length and distance from the center of the BB to the center of the rear hub. I don't really think that an eccentric BB is ideal for fixsters because it requires a little more finagling to dial in chain tension. If you go with a Van Dessel, all of them are dope in their own way.