Best Jeans under $100

haehaedori

i'm trying to get in to the denim game

and i'm just looking for a pair of nice starter's jeans.

more then $100 would be somewhat too much yet

so i'd like to take advices from the denim gods here.

any suggestions?

also, i live in chicago, are there any good spots around here?

thanx

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can find some RRL on ebay for just under $100. the only thing is that the sizing could be way off. I got mine as my second pair of raw off of ebay for $90, but had to pay $25 for tailoring. But they are great jeans, japanese selvage, very rigid, very dark. suppost to retail at like $185. I like them alot.

the first pair i experimented with was some STFs, they can turn out pretty nice if you treat them right.

people who don't buy jeans over $100 are not welcome here....such bastards.

haha, jk. I think those RRL's sound good too, some people here were getting them for ridiculous bargains.

If you can cough up an extra 20 bucks, you can get APC New Standards, which are pretty solid bang for the buck...

why is everyone saying "an extra $20 bucks for APC's"??? they are $140. that's $40.

anyway, how about GAP? it may not seem cool enough, but it's probably the best quality denim you will get for the money. They have two new selvage models for just under $100. their denim is sourced from japan and likely from some of the same mills prized on this forum (their selvage from a few years ago was sourced from Kurabu, although i don't think it's been confirmed yet which mill was used for this run...)

you might want to try buying used, slightly used or brand new stuff from ebay and the supermarket on this forum. the only way to get in the game is to keep trying different pairs. i think it is a good idea to start cheaper in the beginning, though. no use buying a $300 pair and finding out you don't like them at all.

you can find some RRL on ebay for just under $100. the only thing is that the sizing could be way off. I got mine as my second pair of raw off of ebay for $90, but had to pay $25 for tailoring. But they are great jeans, japanese selvage, very rigid, very dark. suppost to retail at like $185. I like them alot.

the first pair i experimented with was some STFs, they can turn out pretty nice if you treat them right.

check out the outlets for rrls i saw some for 35 but they didnt have my size..i still should of grabbed them.

Just like the other people have said check out the Polo outlets for some RRL. I picked up a pair for 35 bucks and I like these more than my 140 dollar APCs. Sizing is definitely runs a little weird, it doesn't seem consistent from pair to pair so definitely try them on if you can.

has anyone had jeans from H&M?

i hear good things about them and wonder what they're like

I don't have a pair - but I was in the store checking them out...

For the price (saw them on sale for 40$ a couple weeks ago) definetely a great Jeans

No selvage - that's always sad

Denim quality allright - I'd say 12 oz denim....felt like sanforized

My neighboor has a pair - but he does'nt believe in the whole not washing philosephy - so I can't tell you how they really fade...

But if you are going to invest a lot of time and spirit into a pair of raw Jeans - I'd rather do an upgrade and try the APC's....

:)

If your looking for places in Chicago to shop, try...

- Guise

- Haberdash

- Apt #9

- TK Men

All are great men's stores with some of the best denim brands (Nudie, Acne, Kicking Mule, Rogan, Earnest Sewn, etc.). Also check out a brand called BYA Denim... its a pretty cool brand out of Chicago, and I think Guise and TK Men carry it... so does Active Endeavors I think.

Best of luck!

I've got some Morrisons from the Gap, that are probably just a 1 or 2 wash. They have some pre-distressed honeycombs, and they are selvage.

Oh and they were $65.

gapmorrisonsnewnov0906scl6.jpg

gapmorrisonsnewnov0906sf002re2.jpg

gapmorrisonsnewnov0906sf005uq4.jpg

I've got the H&M Sliq Raw's about a week ago but I shrunk and and hemmed them so I've only worn it one day so far. I hoping good things come out of it. The jeans are kicking my ass though. I bought it tagged as a size 28 but I measured it and was actually 31 in. They shrunk to about a 30 which is my true waist size however these are the slimmest jeans I've ever bought so it's gonna take a bit of getting used to. I originally intended on saving up for APC's but I was really excited for the Sliq's.