THE "N" WORD....

MONIKER

I say, in my white guy opinion:

Off limits for white people unless you are very drunk while using it in a friendly way towards another white person who you haven't seen for 4 years while you give them a one armed hug. But really, white guys who throw it around thinking its ok, it's usually most always not OK at all unless you get a special notarized approved form signed by hmmm, maybe 8,000 black people granting you the right to use it in a non-racist, rapper way, but even then I don't really know.

Really, we need a real opinion from a black person, which varies, but usually is HELL NO.

It's Red Motherfucking Foxxworth coming straight from VA, and I've been known to make the hoes bounce it up and down like the WNBA

I'd say the N bomb is generally off limits for white people, unless of course one of your boys is black and calls you a honky cracker or something similar in jest all the time; in this case it's cool between close friends, but then there would usually be some sort of unspoken understanding. In other cases it's pretty fuckin racist

Any of you guys know British footballer,turned football manager turned football commentator, Ron Atkinson.

(Ron was also a pioneer at the time in the 70's of introducing black kids into football in the UK).

Well, he's now ex-commentator after using the "N" word to describe a black, French footballer.

His actual words were: "fuckin' lazy nigger".

Anyway, in a bid to regain his status in the UK(he had been a bit of a legend), he went to America on some sort of racial awareness program....

He left a bit bemused after meeting a group of American college kids who told him it was ok to use nigga, with an "A", but in actual fact HE shouldn't use it in any circumstance.

Basically, he understood people may be offended by his comments, and he was sorry, but couldn't come to terms with why it was acceptable for the word to be used, but unacceptable for who used it.

i have to deal with this every fucking day, at school or work. i can't see white kids using them, let alone a bunch of asian kids calling each other the N word. the N word has become a very common "slang" now, but it's still stupid. i know a bunch of black people that don't approve it when other kids from different ethnicity throwing the N word around.....

?

I think it is not good at all. i mean a nigger is anyone stupid but they have put it on us blacks like we are the ones. as far as nigga the slang what up homie that most use on a regular day basis, i mean hear white, asian and all kinds of kids using it and they really do not know the meaning. i tell you what, let em say it around the wrong ones and they might find themselves in something they cannot get out of. so that is my opinion. i personally like people for who they are as a person and i do not use derrogatory words toward them.

I in no way disagree with your sentiments, rather I merely wish to clarify the roots of this derogatory word: The word nigger is an alteration of dialectal neger being rooted in the latin word niger which merely means black person which makes sense with countries bearing names such as Niger and Nigeria. This term was then twisted and distorted into a disparraging term usually referring to someone untrustworthy, unintelligent, poor, or stingy; I find the latter interesting as the archaic english word niggardly means to be petty in giving or spending and have often wondered whether there is any correlation between niggardly and the dialectal transformation of nigger.

Does the word nigger actually mean anyone stupid though? Or is this rather the effects you have found it's usage to have on your person, does it make you feel as though someone has described you as stupid, handicapped, or in some manner lesser?

As far as I have been able to determine it is only defined as a disparaging term for a member of any socially, economically, or politically deprived group of people and is of course 99% of the time directed at blacks. It is fitting that such a word be so unspecific and inarticulant as it is often used by many who are exactly that unspecific and inarticulant unable to detail their respective reasons for such mistrust, fear, and above all hate, because of course their hatred has no good reason being that it is rooted in centuries of social programming.

Conversely, I find it extremely ironic that a couple of my negro friends (the suburban ones of course) call themselves niggaz, and that the word nigga is glorified and glamourized in pop culture since all that many of these artists and young men are doing by putting the word nigga on a pedestal is confirming the suspicions of ignorant white middle americans, for that matter ignorant people worldwide; not confirming any validity in these suspicions of couse, but by portraying the image of the bad nigga, the gangsta nigga, the pimp nigga, the ballin nigga and so forth for the general public, and glamourizing it, those susceptable mindless fucks are encouraged to fall into either the fold of the bigots or the wiggers.

Subsequently another question arises, how are ultra successful black icons supposed to present themselves without being seen as either whitewashed or nigger rich(aka ghetto fabulous) and not adversely affect the unperceptive portion of the publics perspective of black people worldwide? Is there a middle ground and if so what is it?

All in all, if many people were not so fucking ignorant this shit wouldn't matter anymore because it shouldn't matter, and we wouldn't even ponder it's importance as it would no longer bear any.

Peace.

I in no way disagree with your sentiments, rather I merely wish to clarify the roots of this derogatory word: The word nigger is an alteration of dialectal neger being rooted in the latin word niger which merely means black person which makes sense with countries bearing names such as Niger and Nigeria. This term was then twisted and distorted into a disparraging term usually referring to someone untrustworthy, unintelligent, poor, or stingy; I find the latter interesting as the archaic english word niggardly means to be petty in giving or spending and have often wondered whether there is any correlation between niggardly and the dialectal transformation of nigger.

Does the word nigger actually mean anyone stupid though? Or is this rather the effects you have found it's usage to have on your person, does it make you feel as though someone has described you as stupid, handicapped, or in some manner lesser?

As far as I have been able to determine it is only defined as a disparaging term for a member of any socially, economically, or politically deprived group of people and is of course 99% of the time directed at blacks. It is fitting that such a word be so unspecific and inarticulant as it is often used by many who are exactly that unspecific and inarticulant unable to detail their respective reasons for such mistrust, fear, and above all hate, because of course their hatred has no good reason being that it is rooted in centuries of social programming.

Conversely, I find it extremely ironic that a couple of my negro friends (the suburban ones of course) call themselves niggaz, and that the word nigga is glorified and glamourized in pop culture since all that many of these artists and young men are doing by putting the word nigga on a pedestal is confirming the suspicions of ignorant white middle americans, for that matter ignorant people worldwide; not confirming any validity in these suspicions of couse, but by portraying the image of the bad nigga, the gangsta nigga, the pimp nigga, the ballin nigga and so forth for the general public, and glamourizing it, those susceptable mindless fucks are encouraged to fall into either the fold of the bigots or the wiggers.

Subsequently another question arises, how are ultra successful black icons supposed to present themselves without being seen as either whitewashed or nigger rich (aka: ghetto fabulous) and not adversely affect the unperceptive portion of the publics perspective of black people worldwide? Is there a middle ground and if so what is it? Should they really have to worry about this bullshit? And lastly, if artists were to stop portraying themselves in the said manner would an integral part of american vernacular be jeopardized?

All in all, if many people were not so fucking ignorant this shit wouldn't matter anymore because it shouldn't, and we wouldn't even ponder it's importance as it would no longer bear any.

Peace.

PS: I was listening to Big L's Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous as I wrote this, is that ironic or fitting?

Edited by SuperCassette on Mar 21, 2005 at 12:29 AM

no one wants to pretend that this is any more than a word that was once "bad" and has now been made "good" (read: commonplace) by certain groups because it's been "embraced" by black people.

just like many Superheroes' powers, the word "nigger" can be used for good or evil. problem is, unless you're friends with some verrrry openminded black people, chances are your intent will be irrelevant and you'll come off like a racist dirtbag.

bottom line is this: if you're white, you can only say it around your black friends if you are an emcee or grew up living sorta trife and are used to being the only white kid. and even then it gets tricky.

otherwise, you have to say "nucka" because...it's funny. sorry, but that's the way it goes. the only way you can get away with 'nigga' if you're in nyc and white with mad black kids all around, is if you're singing along to a rap song (like "Sucka Nigga"). otherwise keep away from it.

if you're black you can do whatever you want basically, because you're the subject of the name. flip it, take offernse to it, use it everyday, it's your choice. it's like when i make fun of jews and people are like "yo that' fucked up" and i go "it's all good, my dad is jewish" then they're like "oh word, ok."

~multiflavored RodLavers~

I'm black and I don't use the word. I make it a point not to. but sometimes when I get drunk and with my friends or family, it slips out. I've been raised with the word, and it is a part of my vernacular. I hate it. If you went to one of my family functions (BBQ,Reunion etc.) it would be the most overheard word I'm sure. but all the people saying it would denounce using the word if you asked them. I think it's ingrained in our psyche. I think it got really bad between the late 50's and the early seventies. basically the civil rights movement. when tensions between blacks and whites were high in the south, I think southern whites used the word as a verbal weapon to accompany the lynchings and church bombings and what have you. So America associates the usage of the word with that time period. which is one of our darker moments.. however in the late seventies and early eighties once Black people were comfortable in their freedoms... the pimp, disco, soul, and hip hop cultures probably started using the word in a cool and "mocking" way.. as to say "fuck those white people". Like imagine some black dudes on the corner shooting the shit after the civil rights movement . "Nigga what's up with your shoes?" in a southern white twang "Fuck you Nigga". comedy and hilarity ensues. couple this with years and years of rap music and you have our present culture... shit is weak. I'm a rapper and I don't use the word in my songs unless I'm trying to make a point with the usage... what really made me address it is seeing our cultural impact on other countries. In Germany for instance, when the whitest of white German guy comes up to you like "what's up my nigga?" something is wrong. you gotta check yourself. It's happened to me everywhere.. Brazil, Japan...everywhere. but at the end of the day. it's just a word. and I must admit there's something sexy and mystical about it.. it just sounds good. I think that's what all the fuss is about. people like saying the word because it sounds good. like pussy. pussy sounds good too. and everybody says it. I know some girls that hate that word. and that's because it gets under your skin.. say it with me.....PUSSY!!!!! NIGGA!!!!

one time i was in a fried chicken place and my friend said "damn nigga!" and turned around to face a defensive end from the jets...this dude definitely was running the #99 jersey, he was 300 pounds easy.

long story short, my boy was buying a lot of chicken that night.

fuck around and get your waffle split

i think Lenny Bruce said:

"if you just use the word nigger all the time, it will become a regular word and no one would get upset anymore"

Most people that get offended by the word have a chip on their shoulder, get over it...

I grew up with a black friends that call me their "nigga", and they diddnt seem to mind when i used the word on occasion but im not gonna go around saying "what up my nigga" to every black person i see. There is a time and place to use the word, if you sense the people around are not mature enough to handle the word dont use it.

CLOWN TRIGGER

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gymkata is a perfect example of the white man trying to get with our culture-just because he had that cool suit and throwing stars and beat up that villan from dukes of hazzard dosent mean he's a ninja...he dont know nuthing about my dojo i came up hard-my tatami mat was handed down since the samurais left..you are part of the problem..