what is dry denim? what does it mean?

cheapmuthafukr

seriously... we need to get off of our high horse here..... we think "this trend is gonna die because people wont wear the same jeans without washing for 6 months"... but is that really the point? is dry denim only made to be worn to fade? what about the people who just want dark jeans?

it is just a return to simplicity. you can wear them how you want. you can wash them how you want. the groupthink here is overbearing sometimes. its sad to see everyone doing the exact same thing to get "personal fades", when in fact you are all just following the leader.

where are the individuals?

haha, seeing the increase in amount of ppl who post asking should i do this or should i buy this, lol

personally i love dark jeans and if u like ur jeans, u'll want to wear them as much as u can, so i guess the wearing process just comes with it, just like wrinkles, u get them as u age (but depending on how much and whether u take gd care of urself)

and before i started buying dry denim, somehow i never found a pair of jeans that are as perfect fitting as my dry jeans at the moment

it all comes back to the point; if u like them, buy them (thats wat i think at least)

mmmmm, thats a good point, to be honest I dont have the will power to keep my jeans dirty for 6months, that said I dont have the will power to wash em every week either. I Really like stiff raw denim, its nice, and looks smart, but I also like fucked up jeans with wear ( probably cos they are my favourite ). Nothing like 5 month old jeans that have moulded ( take it as you will ) to your leg shape. Its sad to notice one day that the raw shine has gone though. God im not really saying much, I just like jeans.

very true sir cheap

before i was into dry denim one of my favorite jeans was an overdyed levis skinner that had faded alot and i had really liked the fact that it faded

i think its all about how you look at it all

sometimes you say ommon guys, theyre just jeans

sometimes we say, oh my god these are more than jeans these are expressions of someones everyday lives imprinted into fabric

but either way i fuckign love them.

I can tell that I probably wont go for a year without washing my jeans, I have already rinsed both of my unwashed pairs a couple of times, not with detergant though but both are 2-3 months old.

the thing to me about unwashed denim is that I can fade the jeans naturally with wear, not have streaks in the middle of my calfs which usually is the deal with washed jeans. same with overdone fading. I just like a dark color with reasonable fade, plus of course a good fit which I've found in unwashed jeans better.

then again I'm not that obsessed though, out of the 4 pairs of jeans in my heavy rotation 2 are pre-washed.

i think i have one pair that are raw, but they may be one wash as they are not too stiff(light weight denim tho)

fuck... my canes have been washed like 5 times. they are still dark. they are fading nicely.

personally, i dont care about "raw" or "dry" because if i had raw STF denim im gonna wash it before i do anything. im gonna wash it when it is dirty.

the thing is -- the jeans always win. i used to buy dark-ish jeans and not wash them for three or four weeks at a time because i wanted them to stay dark. lo and behold, they started to get some awesome fades...

whether you wash your jeans every few weeks, or not for six months or more, if you're starting with a quality product your jeans will never behave exactly how you expect them to. they'll surprise you and they'll fade "too fast" or "too slow" and they'll likely be all the more beautiful for their resistance to your will...

so the new cool is "i have washed my jeans soooo many times."

I wish everybody on here would just get a clue and some sense of self.

hmm... isnt that what i said in my first post? that people need to stop following the trend this week? or are you just a dick and want to talk shit.

go back and re read this.... than maybe you could post a comment that is actually relevent.:D

I'm not absolutely wedded to the no-wash philosophy...certainly I've been using that technique with my canes, but for others like my 21 oz. sda's, I've been more concerned with preserving them overall...the color/construction of the denim is so quality that I want them to stay pristine forever...and given how solid they are, they may do just that.

I don't subscribe wholeheartedly to any given denim philosophy, but rather adopt the elements of each one that suit my personal style. Call me a dilettante if you will, but I do what I like, and feel that this is the purest expression of ones stylistic preferences.

personally, i dont care about "raw" or "dry" because if i had raw STF denim im gonna wash it before i do anything. im gonna wash it when it is dirty.

Exactly, there was a time when all jeans were raw and dry. I have a couple pairs of my dads Levis from the 50's and 60's and they look great and I know dad just treated them as pants and washed when needed.

This is what I've wanted to say, yet couldn't, because this is the internet and my 40 posts don't carry much weight. I'm tired of reading about people asking how someone got this exact fade and how they can replicate it. How about just putting your goddamn jeans on and say...I dunno...wear them? This community is absolutely amazing with the knowledge and the advice that is willingly given to us denim n00bs all the time, but it gets a touch fanatical at times. Just wear the fucking denim and don't worry about what the guy posting above you thinks about it. If you're doing that, you may as well buy a pair of Citizens or 7's, because more people will pay attention to that than your no discernable detail to the normal person APC's.

to all: i think that saying shit like is being said in this thread about how we should do it all for a trend, is just as bad as following a trend. everyones jeans are theirs and only theirs if they want to do it for a trend let them. if they want to wash it all the time let them, if they want to be hardcore and kill bears in their jeans let them.

the last thing sf needs is to accidentally collapse on itself when we overthink everything.

do whatever you want to with them, the only important thing is that you wear them.

I just like a dark color with reasonable fade, plus of course a good fit which I've found in unwashed jeans better.

I'm with lowrey on that one. I just like quality dark jeans and raws just happen to do it for me. Given I've only owned a pair for a short amount of time I've always found the concept interesting.

Fading is cool and all but at the end of the day they're just pants. You put them on, walk around, and take them off.During that time they just happen to wear and to me that's just a bonus I guess. Same goes for washing, jeans get dirty and then they get washed.Personally I like to wear my jeans alot before I wash them but I did that even before owned any raw denim.I guess what I'm trying to get at is to just wear them and see what happens.

so i guess the wearing process just comes with it, just like wrinkles, u get them as u age (but depending on how much and whether u take gd care of urself)

i'm only washing my face evern 6 months so i can get some nice wear. i gave it a cold soak this morning to get rid of the shrink.