Don't wash denim?

M4TM

I've been reading a lot about not washing your denim to get the right wear marks and variations in color... I'm guessing (hoping) that none of you live in a climate like Hong Kong... Right now, its fine and cool, but 8 months out of the year, it'll get to 30C and 90% humidity.

after a few wears... your denim is gonna be STANK!

strange highs and strange lows

Quote:

I've been reading a lot about not washing your denim to get the right wear marks and variations in color... I'm guessing (hoping) that none of you live in a climate like Hong Kong... Right now, its fine and cool, but 8 months out of the year, it'll get to 30C and 90% humidity.

after a few wears... your denim is gonna be STANK!

--- Original message by Music for the Masses on Mar 15, 2005 06:39 PM

you're lucky to get 30C and 90% humidity 8/12 months.

i've got 12/12! bullseyes on my stankin' scoresheet.

variety helps! so does 'febreeze' sprays and airing them.

i'll rinse mine after every 6-8 months. no scrubs, a few drops of washing detergent

to kill whateva stanks there is. soak for 5 or less minutes and out for drying. you'll def. lose

some nice stains on them but i rather do that than freakin' mushrooms growing on my jeans and my legs.

write your own script

"your denim is gonna be STANK!"

LOL. I agree.

There are ways around it. Dry cleaning is one. Soaking inside out with a some flakes of pure soap, no scrubbing, then rinse cold is another solution.

You can shorten the 'wear time before washing' considerably by the careful use of sandpaper to speed up natural abrasion. It works great if you know how.

Then you can do a "frequent wash" program (like the guy in this link from 45rpm:http://www.45rpm.jp/denim/detail.jsp?id=010 ), obviously with different results, but nice nevertheless.

Don't worry about there being a 'right' or 'wrong' way to wear you jeans. Do whatever you like.

Edited by ringring on Mar 16, 2005 at 01:19 AM

i've tried the sandpaper method. don't be too excited when doing this[in my case, i was to see quick result]

result was decent enough for me to wear them but i sanded way too hard and it was a bit rough on the lap.

once wearing them it'll soften. a decent solution from ringring. icon_smile.gif

write your own script

I made the mistake of sanding on a couple of jeans. What works better, and makes it so you don't have all that fuzzyness is to use steel wool. However, I only do hand sanding these days. Thats whne you wipe your jeans with your hands as much as possible (without looking like you have turrets.)

Live is too short for bad denim!

1109561786451_bigEsig.JPG

Edited by Serge d Nimes on Mar 16, 2005 at 03:09 PM

I should have added the caveat that sandpapering is also a great way of screwing up your jeans if you go at it too hard icon_smile_wink.gif

Still, all sandpaper does is accelerate natural abrasion, so it works great when done well. Like hand sanding with rougher hands LOL.

Another way is to rub your jeans with another bit of denim. It takes longer than sandpaper and the results are softer.

Edited by ringring on Mar 16, 2005 at 03:29 PM

LoL! nice to know there are ways of sanding your jeans!!! how's your hand serge? icon_smile_wink.gif

actually, yea i guess that's almost a natural habit [for denim freaks only i think?] when you're sitting down and has got nothing to do, you just tend to rub the jeans and expecting it will come off as much. hahaha...

ah...for the good of denims.

write your own script

Edited by script on Mar 19, 2005 at 08:53 AM

Extensive wearing....

That, and using Dryel....but turn your jeans inside out...you just wanna get rid of the funk, thats all...my pair of XX501's are like that..i got a very fine fuzz all over the jean, and a nice blue hue around the hidden rivets and worn areas...i wish i had 5 pair...."sigh"..

WASH YOUR FUCKING DENIM.

you go out, sweat the balls out, screw chicks and head home covered in cigarettes, booze, love and dirt and you don't wash your pants? What the fuck. Dirty mutherfuckers.

talking like i know everything about everything, making new subjects every 5 minutes, don't care too much for don't care too much for crap's crap.

where did you get them from and brand new?

do they still produce stuff like that now? or the only choice is getting a 2nd hand one?

i'm searching for a pair of Lee vintage myself. saw it from a hand me down store

...the one with the fur patch. cowhide? they're really nice and expensive.

i'm also trying to get a pair of sugar cane 1st model.

any opinion on this brand? sorry, if you dont mind me asking...

write your own script

Quote:

sorry for my ignorance, but, what are lined pockets?

--- Original message by Geowu on Mar 19, 2005 05:48 PM

Lined pockets: Usually refers to the back pockets being constructed from a double layer of cloth. Denim + cotton twill (same fabric as the front pocket bags). Adds to the durability of the back pockets (and cost).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Script,

I just now read your post about Sugarcane. In my opinion they are very special jeans. You just have to be patient and allow them to age. The below link will give a better understanding. You'll see how they change each month for 1 year..

http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://letgoasyoulike.fc2web.com/denim.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%25E5%2588%25A5%25E5%2586%258ALightning%2BVol.9%2B%25E3%2583%2587%25E3%2583%258B%25E3%2583%25A0%25E3%2582%25B9%25E3%2582%25BF%25E3%2582%25A4%25E3%2583%25AB%25E3%2583%2596%25E3%2583%2583%25E3%2582%25AF%2B%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG