Winter coats?!

Le kid

Anyone know of a good parka (not an outdoors brand like northface/marmot/etc)

Preferably Grey, very warm (I can wear in 0 degrees and be fine), and around or under $500...

I was using a Northface McMurdo for the last 4 years when its real cold, but i've slimmed the overall sillohuette of my clothing in that time, so it is a bit big for me... although it did work very well

Anyone know of a good parka (not an outdoors brand like northface/marmot/etc)

Preferably Grey, very warm (I can wear in 0 degrees and be fine), and around or under $500...

I was using a Northface McMurdo for the last 4 years when its real cold, but i've slimmed the overall sillohuette of my clothing in that time, so it is a bit big for me... although it did work very well

I don't know a good brand or anything, but a good alternative to a parka is a duffel coat. super warm with a hood and not puffy. try to find one...

As far as where to buy peacoats. Go to any army navy store and they can be bought for $120. US made all wool coat. Equal to or better quality of any random $600+ high end fashion label which are more or less copying off the military issued original. Which can be bought with next to no effort. You don't even need to size down for the most part since the coats are available by chest size from 30-46+ Just buy your chest size. It's ridiculously simple.

The only thing army and navy stores won't have are cropped peacoats (but these weren't really mentioned in this thread). This can be altered after purchase anyways.

Is that the Greenland? Was thinking the same but not the winter version ... just for a windbreaker/ waterproof in early autumn. Just wondering the fit ... I guessing they are pretty relaxed being actual outdoor wear?

Do you have personal experience with this brand ... it aint that cheap.

Peacoats for ~$300 anyone?

Barbour has a new Peacoat model in the $300-400 range that's pretty solid. There's also a long version.

you guys remember where pea coats came from?

why not get an army issue one and size down?

Always a good alternative. My only complaints with the surplus, mil issues is that the fit is pretty basic and that they usually smell like mil surplus gear (I grew up in the military, and really hate it).

Is that the Greenland? Was thinking the same but not the winter version ... just for a windbreaker/ waterproof in early autumn. Just wondering the fit ... I guessing they are pretty relaxed being actual outdoor wear?

I have some hiking gear from them and it's a brand you can definitely depend on.

Just bought the Navy greenland unlined I would say get a size down from your usual and it's still generous a Medium is 24" chest

That said it's very nice don't forget to get the wax to re-waterproof it

I would recommend to those looking for cheap(er) peacoats to check out Schott. They're regulation, and considering the quality of their leather jackets, I would imagine the peacoats are similarly quality. Remember, the original peacoats were cut very well, with high-armholes and slim-fitting silhouettes.

H&M quality is a little dubious, but it'll get you through one winter at least.

I like the APC check short duffel coat which would probably do for winter here because it doesn't seem to get very cold anymore (global warming?)

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/7540/apcjn9.jpg

Can't decide whether to spend $$$ on one of Raf Simons' flame coats

00250m.jpg

00260m.jpg

Probably won't because I don't think I could wear it enough, but for me Raf Simons is no1.

penfield_0412sm_top.jpg

i know not down the alley of what the posters here are into, but quick opinions on this as a light fall jacket? it is on the brink of being too feminine but i think it also gives a cool japanese urban vibe

of course this is a little more streetwear than the jackets posted here, but opinions?