Levi DS Redline '555' NON-REPRO?

mopar_jj

Snagged these on ebay recently:

dd_1.jpg

90_1.jpg

9b_1.jpg

5f_1.jpg

These are double stitched, Redline, and have 555 on the top button. Out of all the double stitched RLs I have, I think this is the only 555 pair. The rest are mostly 524,6, 558. The pockets even look a little like they are single stitched with their outer stitch spacing.

I have lots of repros with 555, but these are def. not repros.

Calling on Paul T, Serge, Levi Experts(AGAIN)!!

Thanks

Mj

I saw some 555 DS Redlines the other day at wasteland SF. They looked like early 80's redlines, but with the 555 that they might be those really bad 1996 repros, although these didn't really look like those and had a small e. The one sure way to tell is to see if there is a tag on the inside of the jeans on the left hip.

BTW, I saw a lot of fake vintage Levis at Wasteland. They looked like the Thai ones on ebay.

Serge! triumphant return!

So, 555 can be both repro/non and the defining characteristic is a small left hip tag?

And if tag is present, then they're aren't repro?

Because- I have a pair of 555 with the 60's paper patch "every garment guaranteed", copper hidden rivets and different colored single stitch arcuate.

But, no left hip tag.

This makes them LVC repros?

look like lvcs to me. Think I got a pair similar somewhere. One thing I did catch on some repro stuff. the top stitching is double stitch on the pockets - I know for sure a pair of the first 'generation' of big E repros I have have this. Dead giveaway on some repro stuff.

Nairb, I am 99% certain there was a hip tag there at one point and without a doubt those are repros.

All big E redlines are single digit or no digit top button. if not, they are repro. 2 and 3 digit top buttons are double stitch 99% of the time unless they are repro. There are few instances where a single digit top button is double stitched. The ones I see are usually 505 and 517. Most DS redlines I have seen here are 524.

Nairb, those are 1955 repros actually, I have a pair and have had probably 10 pairs of them long ago. The only ofset repros that I am aware of are 551ZXX. The DS big E repros are the notorious "Capital E" repros from 1996 that people are thowing stupid money at...

You can really tell the repros because the red tab is a nylon type material and real vintage levis have a red tab that is the richest, most beautiful red viscose you will ever see. Also the font is different

AFAIC DS is DS. That was a lot of abbreviation action! For some reason, "6" button DS RL seem to be really common, followed by 8. I usually like the "8" jeans better, I couldn't tell you why though. I have a few DS pairs lying around. There is such a drastic change in denim, indigo and handmade look from SS to DS. You can tell that Levis mechanized and ramped up production when they they started double stitching jeans.