ever feel guilty about spending?

Brienneoftarth

I know this has been discussed before, but i just had one of the delivery guys from my job show me his paycheck for 2 weeks and after taxes, it added up to about how much i spent on jeans in the three days. plus he has a wife and 2 kids from previous marriage. Felt like kind of a douche. granted i dont always spend that much, and i dont consider myself to be well off by an definition, but my paycheck was 4x larger than his....just made me think.

I won't quote Einstein on this, but I'd rather buy nice japanese jeans than blow the money on one night out. At least that way I will have something concrete -not just some dead brain cells.

(I try to avoid buying anything I don't need. Most times I create the need..)

I won't quote Einstein on this, but I'd rather buy nice japanese jeans than blow the money on one night out. At least that way I will have something concrete -not just some dead brain cells.

(I try to avoid buying anything I don't need. Most times I create the need..)

I am the exact same way. I do not really drink, and thus this frees up alot of money for other things. I go out and maybe spend $50 with cab rides and everything while friends I am with easilly spend $200.

I'm in a bad way with credit cards and bank loans, and I'm really trying to get on top of things. However every pay-day my mind goes blank for a few hours and when I come to I'm surrounded by shopping bags. I hate myself for the next few days!

You're buying the jeans, which is paying the wages of people making the jeans, who are then feeding their kids. It's alright. I get a bit stressed from time to time (usually after buying shoes), but mostly at my inability to save.

I look at it this way - when I'm young and single, this is what's important to me, and genuinely makes me happy. When I'm a bit older, my priorities might change, and I'll cut back the spending. God knows, I'll have enough stuff by then. But, live in the present and let the future look after itself.

At the moment, the only person who's starving cos of my clothes budget is me. And hell, how else am I gonna fit my jeans!

yea it definitely hits once in a while. This past weekend I dropped almost $1k just on Fred Perry shit for me and my fiancee. My Debit card was burning up so we made up for it by eating broke ass cheap all weekend. But then I ended up selling a vintage shirt for $200 and made another $170 selling some CDs the other day so that made me feel better. It's a constant tug of war buying/selling for us. Mostly buying tho. Then I take a much needed spending break for a while. At least til Nov when we're in NYC!!

i try to balance the spending by selling (or u can say, resell) shoes to hypemonkeys on hypebeast

that way i get my JR/Imperial jeans and the hypemonkeys get their Nikes

or i just eat less everyday (say save up 10 bucks a day) and within a month, theres a pair of APCs already (and get to lose some weight too)

I almost always feel bad.. but mostly because it's not my money. I leech off the parents, but I have decided to stop doing that so.. yeah.

I definitely wouldn't feel bad if I'm spending my own cash

Man, theres something wrong with you... :D

I would gladly spend somebody elses money!

You're buying the jeans, which is paying the wages of people making the jeans, who are then feeding their kids. It's alright. I get a bit stressed from time to time (usually after buying shoes), but mostly at my inability to save.

I look at it this way - when I'm young and single, this is what's important to me, and genuinely makes me happy. When I'm a bit older, my priorities might change, and I'll cut back the spending. God knows, I'll have enough stuff by then. But, live in the present and let the future look after itself.

At the moment, the only person who's starving cos of my clothes budget is me. And hell, how else am I gonna fit my jeans!

i like this.....true true.

The only time I feel guilty is if I end up never wearing them. Case and point: my Baggy Bjorns. I bought them 2 sizes too small as recommended, and should have only gone one size too small. Now whenever i see them I shudder, cuz the rise is waayyyy too long in the back, yet the leg opening can hardly be classified as baggy. Not only that, but they look tapered. What a mess, I'm going to have to do some serious work to these to get them up to snuff.

THAT is what guilt is. I should have just bought some LVC 47s

It kind of pisses me off when I hear people say the clothes I wear are too expensive. My standard reply is to tell them to look at their bar-tab from last night (guys) or to tell them those $4.00 lattes add up (girls).Plus if you look at cheap clothing (Gap, Old Navy etc.) there are issues concerning production that you really don't want to know about.

The best line about spending on denim was by an Austin 'zine Misprint (check it out online - funny as shit!) - those $190 Nudie's WILL get you laid/get you a girlfriend and that's when things get expensive...

My only vice(that costs money) is clothes/shoes. So I think it balances out with the money I save from being an otherwise boring person.

i think you and i are in the same boat, except you can add records to that. i always give myself a loose mental allowance though if i buy a pair of jeans, i wont get some expensive design book, or a stack of records. it still works out i spend much less then my friends that drink

I only feel guilty when my parents buy me things, but since I earn most of the money that I use for most of my extraneous purchases it's only a minor thing. I don't really mind so much when people complain about how expensive my clothes are, because I live very cheaply otherwise and most of my money (I try, at least) goes to local designers / shops or moderate sized companies who I like to support.

I'm willing to pay for good design and quality, and I'd rather not give a penny to any company like Abercrombie and Whatever, even if it might be cheaper.

Thrifting rules.

I hate myself a little for it every now and then. It's always kind of shocking to see where everyone's priorities lay. Over at HF a while ago, within roughly the same time frame, there was a thread on how much everyone spends each month on clothes, and another thread trying to raise $750 or so for cleft-lip repair surgery for a Vietnamese girl. We hit $1000+ actually, in just a couple of days, which was pretty awesome, but it took like 40 people to do that, which, minus my own contribution, worked out to under $25/person.

Meanwhile, in the other thread, there are a fair number of people putting their clothing budget at a couple grand per month. And, see, I'd like to think that if I had that kind of money, I'd be a little more magnanimous about it, but I'm not sure that I would, and that, oddly enough, is what leads me to doubt the moral value of my current habits.