Tapering Imperial Dukes

choice_genes

Hey all. I got some imperial dukes (W30) about a month ago. In general, they are awesome, and I love them. However, I am thinking about tapering the leg slightly - at the moment they are a totally straight leg, so they fall on my sneakers more like a boot-cut. I want them to fall/look more straight.

At the mo, the hem measures about 19.5cm across. I was thinking about taking them in to about 18 or 18.5cm.

Here is my question: should I taper them from the inseam or the outseam?

If I taper from the inseam, it will destroy the really nice double stitching on the inside (not a big deal I guess, but still...). Also, the line of the stitching on the outside may come out a bit weird (but I have a good tailor, so thismight not be a problem).

Tapering from the inseam would consist of unstiching the seam and pulling the two selvedge edges further apart, and then sticthing it back up again - so less chance of any visual defect. My one worry is that tapering from the outseam might make them fall a bit weird. This is just a suspicion. Is it well-founded?

Which am I better off doing? Visually (which way will fall better)? Construction-wise (IE - I want to make sure the tailor doesn't fuck up the jeans...)? I hope I have worded this clearly enough. Thanks in advance for your help.

Taper from the inseam, don't fuck with the selvedge edge. For some reason I envision balloon-y MC Hammer pants or Zubaz pants when I think of a tapering from the outside seam.

I am considering tapering off a pair of APC Hipsters too and I think I might get an inseam taper mostly from the knee down, keeping the thighs on the fuller original side and going down to like 20-22cm at the knee and then 18cm at the hem.

I've had it done with a pair of nudies as well as with my eternalxbear's. Both turned out well, but I had to get the eternals re-chainstitched since they had to break the chainstitch to get at the inseam.

Both were taken in from the inseam, but the difference was that the eternals were pre-skewed. So when they were taken in, the twisting was slightly more than the original. But for the nudies which were not skewed, it just ended up looking normal.

Also, you should take into consideration whether or not you want them to cut the material from the inseam, or just increase the overlap of the inseam. Since you're taking it in just slightly, if it's overlapped it's not a big deal in my opinion.