bruce @ downtown Vancouver have closed!

brian_k_lee

The eyewear was called Bruce optical because thats what he wanted, although suprizingly it is operated by Paul Smith representatives and Oliver Peoples. Bruce Optical funnily enough received more traffic than Bruce itself. Anyone ever see his selection of Nice Collective before he closed down?

M. U. F. C.

bruce was a joke anyways, it's surprising that it even stayed open as long as it did. permanently on sale maharishi and costume national stuff that no one winked at.

the eyeglass section with the fat chick selling "vintage" yamamoto frames was hilarious. she scours flea markets in LA, find frames for 10 bucks and convinces people that she has some stock from yamamoto and bam!, some chump buys 1300 dollar frames. i guess it's no worse than ebay, but what a sham.

cameron, one of the owners is still on the prowl for what's cool to rip off, so all the heads beware.

I heard that chik who ran the booth, was a great girl. Nevertheless, I think the conflict is that a lot of these store owners, have to differentiate between the Japanese, London and NYC market and understand that Canada isnt ready for these garments yet. Its incredible stuff and its great that we have access to it, but we simply dont have enough clientelle to pay those prices to keep those stores in business. At the end of the day, whether you have the money or not, for one those stores have to moderate their price points and for two, no store will survive on traffic of an average of 15-25 per week day. It simply cant happen, certainly not a store with that size and that much cash behind it.

In terms of the frames from LA, I had no clue where they came from, but Oliver Peoples do have frames in there and I know that they do go for 1300. THe funny thing is the optical booth drew more attention that Bruce itself. Some other people behind that booth approached Richard Kidd, to do the same gig and I think he told them to get lost. As much as we may love that market or that apparrel, stores in this nation wont survive YET on that product alone.