1947 Decision

badboygolf16v

Here's my decision...

I'm going to get a pair of 1947 repro's and I fancy either LVC or Ware House. The Ware House are supposed to be the apogee of replicas. But Levis are authentic Levis - by definition at least! :)

I wondered which one you would go for if the choice was yours. Is the denim better for wear on the 1001XX than the LVC?

Cheers!!

I have both pairs and there are marked differences between the two. The LVC has a narrower profile and a slight taper through the leg. Also after the first soak the indigo comes up a real inky-blue. The Warehouse 1001xx has more of a straight leg to it and although I wouldn't say it was a full cut, it is slightly fuller than the LVC. The 1001xx seems to fade a bit quicker than the LVC in my opinion and is my preferred jean out of the 2 at the moment.

Hope this helps.

The Japanese LVC's have better detailing - a nicer patch and the back pocket rivets are more authentic. The denim is quite textured but a fairly loose weave. The Euro versions tend to be variable from season to season.

As Confabulor says the Warehouse are wider and straighter in the leg, more of a generic 40's cut. The construction is top notch, I've not come across a better made pair of jeans.

I have the cane 47s and the LVC 47s and I like the fit of the LVCs better. The canes 47s are definately fuller through the leg and the leg opening on my pair is over an inch wider than that of the LVC 47. I prefer the color of the denim in the canes a bit more but it does not compensate for the better fit of the LVCs. My opinion. To be honest I like my LVC 44s better than either pair of the 47s. I am a short fucker 5' 7" and the big leg opening makes me look a bit squat and this accounts for my preferance.

I think there comes a point when people are 'buying Japanese for the sake of it'.

Only you know what cut you're looking for, and personally, having a small collection of Jap and Euro / US jeans, I feel if I can save money on a pair then I will (i.e. by buying the real 47, rather than buying Japanese for the sake of it, spending an extra 50 quid and waiting for a delivery and potential customs hit on top of that)

The choice is yours my friend!!

have you considered the warehouse 1000XX?

also, they have have a 10th Anniversary 1000XX Limited Edition made out of natural indigo.

Do you know what the fit of the 1000XX is like compared to the 1001XX?

What would the differences between natural and synthetic indigo be? Is it just a more irregular fade, or are there differences in the speed of fade?

Cheers.

I think there comes a point when people are 'buying Japanese for the sake of it'.

Only you know what cut you're looking for, and personally, having a small collection of Jap and Euro / US jeans, I feel if I can save money on a pair then I will (i.e. by buying the real 47, rather than buying Japanese for the sake of it, spending an extra 50 quid and waiting for a delivery and potential customs hit on top of that)

The choice is yours my friend!!

I know where you're coming from.

I sometimes think WTF am I splashing all this cash on a pair of jeans for. But I'm gonna wear the pair to death cos my 7 year old euro Evisu are falling to bits and I want to start from scratch with a premium jean. I'm pretty monogamous when it comes to a pair of jeans, so money isn't really the issue cos I'm looking at a long term relationship.

Also, I must admit that the variation on the Levis logo on the back pockets on the new 1001XX (or take your pick from any of the other mfgrs) appeals to me. I think there is a bit of irony going on there.

Anyway what's wrong with a preference for Japanese denim? This is fashion after all, no!!? :)

If you're into things like the right weight and texture some of the Japanese companies over do both. The 47 501s are my least favorite of all the LVCs. Just sold a pair. But the weight and the texture of the denim on the ones I just sold when hey were raw is very close to original raw pairs that I've seen from the late 40s and early 50s.